GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Power Seat "Wah Wah" noise? And Lumbar Adjustment has a mind of its own.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 11:18 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Power Seat "Wah Wah" noise? And Lumbar Adjustment has a mind of its own.

My drivers seat is making a deep "WAH wah WAH wah" noise ,for the lack of a better way to describe it, whenever the seat is moved forward or rear. Anybody heard of this before? It is something new, I am used to the way the motor sounds regularly, this sound is strained, louder than usual and not consistent.

Additionally, the lumbar support adjustment sometimes doesn't return to full extruded after moving it to the minimum position. I can push the button, nothing happens, then wait a while and it works again??

The vehicle is certified and well within warranty, has anyone had the dealer do any kind of work like this under warranty? If so please share your experience.
Old 06-09-13, 03:42 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cpo. They don't cover trim. You will have to call and complain with Lexus corp. my seat is making same noise. I'm guessing motor needs greasing.

Thanks - Sid
Old 06-10-13, 12:31 PM
MSGX470
Driver

How does a power seat mechanism classify as trim? I think we should both complain.
Old 06-15-13, 04:41 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Driver's seat as trim? Wait till the seat slides all the way back while driving (not that I've heard that happen) and let's see I'f a tough lawyer also thinks it's trim

And BTW. Your problem may be pealed wires coming in contact with each other somewhere (short circuit??). I was installing a permanent phone charger once and accidentally tapped into the sunroof wires... And before I knew it the sunroof got a mind of its own. All of a sudden it would open, then close, then tilt, then open half way.... Then close again... It was actually humorous. I quickly undid my connections and all was good again. Check your harnesses of the seat.

OA
Old 06-15-13, 08:52 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The defect which you have mentioned has a TSB to this issue under "Front Seat Squeak Noise"".
Quote this TSB No NV001-06 since you are covered under warranty, that should be able to solve the issue. The noise is basically from the inner seat track pins, which needs to be replaced. cheers. They are covered under Comprehensive Warranty.
Old 06-16-13, 08:20 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Thanks for the info mann777, I will let the dealer take care of it when we take her in for the next major service.

Is there a resource availible that has all TSBs listed for the first gen GXs?
Old 06-17-13, 01:03 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The said TSB will be covered only if your within the 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. if your within or even closer to the above periods, then dont wait for the major service dates as that could overrun the TSB warranty claim period And then you know TSB will be in-effective. And you may to shell out $$$
With regards to TSB there is no resource available online. , PM me with your email address and I will email you a PDF of it.
Hope this helps.
Mann
Old 06-27-13, 04:33 PM
MSGX470
Driver

Damn, Certified but over 50k...
Old 07-22-13, 01:35 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw this post and low and behold my truck is at the Lexus dealership for this same problem. All I gotta say is Thank God for the extended warranty from Troy that I bought. This is due to expire the end of Aug and so far for the 1538.00 I paid 3/36000 I have had over 4200.00 dollars of worth of warranty work and my truck remains in the shop since last Monday which is a week today.

I was called and told that the repair will be over 2000.00 and I won't get my truck back for a couple of more days. I will be getting the Costco extended warranty also. If not for anything other than a piece of mind since the truck with only 57000 miles on it has had some expensive issues. I have also told them that when I start the truck it starts at a very high idle which of course they can't duplicate but the GX is geared at a higher idle, which is what I was told. I also told them that on occasions it seems like it doesn't want to shift when first starting out almost like, if it was a stick I would have to shift it into the next gear if that makes any sense? Would I get this if by accident the truck's button for 2nd start was pushed?
Old 07-29-13, 11:56 AM
MSGX470
Driver

I don't think second start would cause a high idle.

Was the warranty you purchased from Troy a Lexus warranty? and how would this differ, if at all, from a Lexus Certified Warranty?
Old 07-31-13, 06:41 AM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSGX470
I don't think second start would cause a high idle.

Was the warranty you purchased from Troy a Lexus warranty? and how would this differ, if at all, from a Lexus Certified Warranty?
The warranty I purchased from Troy was a Lexus Platinum 0 deductible. Not sure about the Certified Warranty maybe someone else will come along and help you out on this.

I do know that never in my 30 yrs of buying new trucks did I ever purchase an extended warranty (there was no need to) but I did with this truck and although some say extended warranties are a waste of money it has saved me a lot of money.

My truck has been in the shop 2 times so far and the first time was for my mirror motor and the Lexus link which was about 4200.00 in repairs and the last time was over 2000 for the seat track.

I think someone said there is a TSB for the seat motor/track but I'm not sure. Anyway mine was repaired under the warranty.

Troy is a guy that sells Lexus warranties from another state and his prices can't be beat. My dealership wanted 2900.00 for 3/36000 Troy wanted 1538.00 same warranty. Without this site I would not have known you could do that.

I will now purchase the extended warranty through Costco 4/48000 250 deductible for around 3000.
Old 01-21-22, 10:27 AM
KBP816913
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGX470
My drivers seat is making a deep "WAH wah WAH wah" noise ,for the lack of a better way to describe it, whenever the seat is moved forward or rear. Anybody heard of this before? It is something new, I am used to the way the motor sounds regularly, this sound is strained, louder than usual and not consistent.

Additionally, the lumbar support adjustment sometimes doesn't return to full extruded after moving it to the minimum position. I can push the button, nothing happens, then wait a while and it works again??

The vehicle is certified and well within warranty, has anyone had the dealer do any kind of work like this under warranty? If so please share your experience.

I just found this, my front seat was making the Waaaaa Waaaa noise too. I read the above comments and took a look at the track and little motor thing under the front left corner of the seat. When I raised the seat completely and moved completely forward, I could access this little nut that spins. It only spins when moving seat front and back, not raise and lowering.
Anyway, I turned the nut one way with a little wrench, no change. Then I rotated it the other way, just a smidge and it solves the problem. Not sure why, but no more noisy seat adjustments!

I hope my experience helps someone in the future!

Katie
The following 2 users liked this post by KBP816913:
and3re (06-13-23), rtomac (08-15-23)
Old 08-15-23, 12:58 PM
rtomac
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just found this and wanted to leave a note for future readers. My experience was similar to Katie's. Awful noise, the motor sounded like it was dying, and I was able to resolve it by adjusting the bolt which aligns the seat rail into the tracks.

My issue started immediately after a new suspension and alignment, so my theory is that the realignment of the vehicle rendered the seat itself out of alignment on the tracks, which was then binding the motor. A quarter turn of one of these bots seems to have realigned it and resolved the problem.

Camera facing the front of the seat, rail on the right side of the seat as you face it