GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ash Blue and just in time for snow! My Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 03:08 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Ash Blue and just in time for snow! My Review

Picked up my GX Thursday afternoon (2nd) and couldn't be happier. The engine is smooth, transmission even smoother, ride as smooth as it gets.

The gas mileage is very good on the highway. Was getting 19 but I believe that will improve as the engine breaks in. Cruising at 70-75 the engine is around 1900-2100 RPMS. Very low, very quite. This is what gets the good gas mileage. And this engine has enough torque to accelerate you in most situations without having to shift up.

The suspension settings definitely make a difference. I did notice highway wind sheer and by putting the setting to more of a sport it seemed to help a bit, though I am sure that's not what the setting was originally intended for.

The seats are very comfortable and it was easy to get them into the right setting quickly. The 3rd seat is quite easy to fold to the sides and even easier to take out of the truck. Never seen anything easier. Fold the seat to the floor, pull the cover off and push the handle. The seats are light (less than 25lbs) and easy to stow away.

The Mark Levinson system sounds amazing. Controlling it from the Nav Screen and through the sterring wheel makes it very easy to use. The tuner is especially nice with some new features like scanning for national stations and pulling station call letters and messages from the tuned radio station.

The rain sensing wipers are right on. They glide across the windshield at what appears to be the speed my mind would control it if I had telekinesis. Only wish they had the very same on the rear window. Especially without a rear spoiler it makes managing the cleanliness of the rear window a near full time job.

The interior lighting is very nice. When you unlock the car everything seems to softly glow to on. There are lights near the driver and passenger floor mats placed under the dash, lights on the door handles, above near the rear view mirror, very soft spot lights that illuminate areas of the center console, another light to the front of the middle seat as well as a cargo light. It is quite welcoming.

The exterior lighting, well we all know about the lack of HID lights. The headlights are adequate for lighting the road, however the addition of HID's would be well worth it. I am told they are dropping them in trucks cause car drivers are complaining of the blinding light. Not sure about that. Haven't met a sales person yet that has not confused fact and fiction. I do like the running board lights that also come on when you open the locks through the keyless remote.

The rear view mirror seems quite good. I like the auto dimming feature. The side rear view mirrors, while ample in size, appear to be lacking a true flatness to them. They appear almost out of focus when looking through them. I do think its a mistake to not have these mirrors accompanied with a autodimming feature common in the GS and SC. Also my GS would automatically defog/heat the mirrors, the GX has a button. Not a big deal, but worthy of pointing out.

I was unable to get the DVD Entertainment system with this model. I am working with a vendor that might be able to install a 3rd party DVD player that can play in the front screen only when in park. The rumor about being able to disconnect it, I'd like to hear the facts on that one as I am told it comes from the body control module and fooling the system would mean disconnecting the tach and speedometer. We also haven't ruled out trying to order the Lexus DVD system from Lexus and installing that system. If it has screws, we can install it. (To relate to the phrase, "If it bleeds we can kill it" - Predator)

The Nav must be the best on the market. Loaded with features and all of them are easy to operate. I particulary enjoy the split window route guidance. I have it set to show me the map on one side, and the turn list on the other. The turn list switches to one turn animated to demonstrate the next turn typically when under 2 miles on the highway, less when on local roads. There are many more points of interest categories loaded into the navigation system and I believe all of them can be called through the voice command.

On my 2000 GS400 they had an option to keep the temperature on the screen at all times, I kind of like that. With the GX, trip info including temp has been positioned in a separate console above the nav screen and you have to cycle through modes to see Time Driven, Temp, Avg MPG, MPG, Avg Speed, DTE, Barometer, and Altittude.

Still looking to get the DVD, and rear spoiler (if I can find it installed for under 600. If anyone knows of someone who can install it in northern virginia please let me know.

I took the vehicle from Virginia to Connecticut just tonight and we are supposed to see 5-10 inches of snow by Saturday afternoon which I will be looking forward to.
Old 01-04-03, 03:45 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my car today did some lite driveing i am going to go out some more tommrow nice write up btw..
its dead on

first complaint out of my moms mouth... why does teh rear hitch open outwards

second... its too big ( she like small cars)

i am loveing it so far
Old 01-04-03, 08:10 AM
JeromeBaker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome review

Wow.. what a great review. I love to see people who write up thorough reviews of their vehicles. Thanks for taking the time. One question. My Ex gf's parents had a Toyota Sequoia Limited... we took it on a ski trip and the engine seemed a little under powered for the size/mass/weight of the vehicle (Maybe I was just used to my old 1998 GMC Yukon with behemoth sized engine). As I understand the GX470 and the Sequoia share the same chasis and engine? What do you think about the power of the engine? Have you taken it through any mountain passes or towed anything small (Atv's, Jet ski, etc)?

Last edited by JeromeBaker; 01-04-03 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-04-03, 10:14 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think you'll ever have a problem with the engine in terms of sheer low end torque and power (315 ft-lbs!). The transfer case has a low range (common in most real SUV's) but even in the toughest hill climbs the engine is strong enough to crank though in high range.

I did test drive the Sequoia and did not find the power to feel the same. Now remember its about 600lbs heavier in curb weight than the GX. This might account for the difference in performance I felt. I also didn't like the general operation of the Sequioa. The transmission seemed a bit harsh and loud. The engine was louder then the 4runner and certainly the GX.

In competing with the other SUV's, I do believe Lexus will need to consider an engine to produce 300hp similar to Mercedes, BMW, and so on. But I am VERY satisifed with the acceleration and I come from a 300hp GS400 which accelerates like a bullet.
Old 01-04-03, 02:08 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Looknow, good write-up.... I too am getting the Ash Blue GX and I can't wait..
Old 01-04-03, 04:28 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Northern Virginia Dealer

Which dealer did you buy your car from -- Pohanka or Lindsay? Did you have a good experience with them? I have visited Pohanka twice already (with one test-drive), but I'm awaiting the introduction of the RX330 before I make the final decision on which model to buy. One salesman was extremely pushy and really turned me off. I still haven't received a brochure yet, even though I ordered one from lexus.com, and asked the salesman to mail me one when they arrived.

I'm very pleased to read the mileage reports in your post and from other members on this forum. It looks like the GX might be even better than I originally anticipated, which makes it even more appealing to me!

Can you post pics of the Ash Blue? Pohanka still doesn't have one available, and the photo on lexus.com makes it seem lighter than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the great review!
Old 01-04-03, 05:45 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

GX and Sequoia does NOT share the same chassis.

Last edited by tigmd99; 01-04-03 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-04-03, 10:48 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Amontgom, I felt the same way and had a RX330 on list to order but drove the GX470 last nite and after driving my RX300 53K, this GX is the real deal. My GX will be here Jan 15. I thought my RX road nice but is joke compared to the new GX470. TJ
Old 01-05-03, 01:15 AM
arogers
Driver School Candidate

Wow! fantastic review. Thanks for the details.
Old 01-05-03, 02:00 AM
bgomez
Driver School Candidate

Amontgom,
I have an ash blue mica/ivory with all the options. I picke mine up Dec. 20th and I have been pleasantly surprised with the vehicle as it has exceeded all of my expectations. I am a little worried about how the leather will hold up otherwise I think it is a gorgeous interior. Here is a link to some pictures that I took after detailing. For comparison purposes, the Porsche is Seal Gray.

looknow12,
I could not have said it better! I do wish the car had park distance control or small camera in rear like the MDX.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...73&mode=&idx=0
Old 01-05-03, 02:08 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Very nice Gomez.... Looks sweet with those 2 together...
Old 01-05-03, 02:10 AM
arogers
Driver School Candidate

Very cool -- two great vehicles. How do you decide which one to drive in the morning?
Old 01-05-03, 10:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I will post pictures as I can get them to a reasonable size. I have some pictures but they are far too big.

I'll definitely post them in a few days.
Old 01-05-03, 10:06 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Northern Virginia Dealer

I purchased it from Pohanka and share the same feelings about the sales people you do. I will say though it is end year and they are probably feeling a lot of pressure from management to get numbers so its probably like that everywhere.

Originally posted by amontgom
Which dealer did you buy your car from -- Pohanka or Lindsay? Did you have a good experience with them? I have visited Pohanka twice already (with one test-drive), but I'm awaiting the introduction of the RX330 before I make the final decision on which model to buy. One salesman was extremely pushy and really turned me off. I still haven't received a brochure yet, even though I ordered one from lexus.com, and asked the salesman to mail me one when they arrived.

I'm very pleased to read the mileage reports in your post and from other members on this forum. It looks like the GX might be even better than I originally anticipated, which makes it even more appealing to me!

Can you post pics of the Ash Blue? Pohanka still doesn't have one available, and the photo on lexus.com makes it seem lighter than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the great review!
Old 01-05-03, 04:03 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe... But Lexus of Greenwich are always going out of there way for me all year long... It's just "LEXUS" and there outstanding customer service.....

Quick Reply: Ash Blue and just in time for snow! My Review