GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pics of Differential and Transfer Case Fluid after 63k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 06:20 PM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Pics of Differential and Transfer Case Fluid after 63k miles

Replaced original differential and transfer case fluids this weekend. 2005 with 63k miles.

Rear diff was especially dirty looking - green / gray colored. Front diff was similar to rear diff in color but not quite as dirty. Transfer case was the cleaner but very dark brown.

Here is a pic of the fluids
Left - rear diff
second from left - transfer case
third - front diff
right - fresh Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil used for replacement

I know Lexus does not specifically recommend replacing these fluids, but this was a fairly easy DIY job and very rewarding to know I've got fresh clean oil bathing my gears.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of Differential and Transfer Case Fluid after 63k miles-img_0403.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Moriarty6 (08-04-18)
Old 05-12-13, 06:41 PM
SkoPo227
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow!!! Thanks for posting. Definitely motivating!
Old 05-12-13, 08:18 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I've got to do mine right away as well, '04 w/ 141,000kms, purchased from the 2nd owner who never changed them so I'm guessing they are all original fluids. Weather has finally warmed up so I can work outside comfortably, new garage starts next week but I have a bunch of maintenance stuff that needs done long before it's ready to work in.
Old 05-12-13, 09:11 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine at around 106K? Just makes me feel better to do it.
Old 05-13-13, 03:49 AM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

To anyone considering the job, just make sure you have the following on hand:

- 24 mm socket for the rear diff and transfer case plugs
- 10 mm hex bit socket for the front diff plugs (like a big allen wrench bit that fits your ratchet)
- 12 or 13 mm socket (I forget which) to remove the skid plate under the front diff.
- hand pump that fits the quart bottles of gear oil - mandatory - and only about $7-8 at auto parts store
- new crush washers for all 6 plugs. I ordered from Sewell in advance
- 7 quarts of gear oil. For my 2005, the rear took about 3.3 qt, and the transfer case and front diff both took about 1.5 qt each.
- lots of paper towels ad shop rags.

Oh, and while you're under there, get a tube of grease and a grease gun (pistol type with flexible hose - mandatory) and grease the 6 zerks on the prop shafts - 3 on the rear shaft and 3 on the front shaft. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease on all zerks.

Good luck ! Jeff

Last edited by fishhuntnc; 05-13-13 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added grease type
Old 05-13-13, 07:50 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by fishhuntnc
To anyone considering the job, just make sure you have the following on hand:

- 24 mm socket for the rear diff and transfer case plugs
- 10 mm hex bit socket for the front diff plugs (like a big allen wrench bit that fits your ratchet)
- 12 or 13 mm socket (I forget which) to remove the skid plate under the front diff.
- hand pump that fits the quart bottles of gear oil - mandatory - and only about $7-8 at auto parts store
- new crush washers for all 6 plugs. I ordered from Sewell in advance
- 7 quarts of gear oil. For my 2005, the rear took about 3.3 qt, and the transfer case and front diff both took about 1.5 qt each.
- lots of paper towels ad shop rags.

Oh, and while you're under there, get a tube of grease and a grease gun (pistol type with flexible hose - mandatory) and grease the 6 zerks on the prop shafts - 3 on the rear shaft and 3 on the front shaft. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease on all zerks.

Good luck ! Jeff
This post is VERY helpful, thanks!
Old 05-13-13, 08:20 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

Just did mine yesterday. Did not look quite as bad as yours. 60k miles.

Easy job. Hardest part is removing the 2 front pans to jack up truck.

Front and rear diff and transfer case.

Quirky part is all of the crush washers are the same except the drain plug on the front diff, it uses a unique copper washer of a larger size.

Also, I have found over the years with different vehicles that a plastic squeeze bottle from a restaurant supply co works great for some of the tight spaces that a fluid pump sometimes struggles with. A little slower having to refill bottle, but works great. YMMV.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 05-13-13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 11:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I've got to do this on the rear differential of our FWD 4Runner this week.
Old 05-13-13, 12:23 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this part of any of the Lexus regularly scheduled service intervals?
Old 05-13-13, 01:58 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubs
Is this part of any of the Lexus regularly scheduled service intervals?
The GX Maintenence Log states that the gear oil in both diffs and the transfer case should be "inspected" every 15,000 miles. However, if you use your GX to tow things (boats, etc.) the gear oil in all three must be changed every 15,000 miles. I could not find where Lexus recommends actually changing the gear oils under non-towing conditions.

The Log does NOT say what should be looked for during those inspections. Level? Smell? Color?

Interesting to note that Toyota states that for the Tacoma (which we also own), the gear oil in both diffs & the transfer case must be changed every 30,000 miles. I just changed the gear oil in all three in our Tacoma, and it was pretty clean, indicating the previous owner must have changed it at least once. Still lots of that black gunk (metal shavings) on the magnetic drain plugs.

My opinion is that it wouldn't hurt to change out the gear oil in all three every 45K-60K miles, depending on what makes you feel good. I'll likely tackle the GX next.....

BTW- The 10mm hex bit (socket) for the front diff plugs is too big, and an 8mm is too small. Upon careful inspection of the plugs after removing using a 3/8" hex/Allen wrench (not fun), it looks like a 10mm Torx wrench/socket is what is needed. At least that's what I'm going to look for, as my biggest Torx socket was too small. All the plugs on the Tacoma were way over-tightened. Lastly, ALWAYS remove the fill plug BEFORE removing the drain plug and draining the oil. If your fill plug can't be removed, you don't want to drain your oil as you then can't refill.

Last edited by RickC5; 05-13-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 03:26 PM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

RickC5

Yes, a very important tip to always remove the fill plug first.

BTW - I checked the hex bit size I used for the front diff - it is a 10mm and it did fit mine perfectly.
Old 05-13-13, 04:31 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

10mm hex for front diff, always remove fill plug first.

10mm and 12mm socket for pan bolts.

24mm socket or wrench for transfer case and rear diff.
Old 05-14-13, 08:09 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll try to adequately describe what I saw & did: Using advice found on two Tacoma sites, I had not just one, but THREE 10mm hex/allen wrenches ready. One was for a 3/8" ratchet, another one was a Sears Craftsman standard metric Allen wrench & the third was another long-handled 10mm Allen wrench I use on my bicycles.

NONE of these fit the plugs on the Tacoma's front diff. They were all too big. So I tried an 8mm--too small--loose. Finally used a 3/8" Allen wrench with a jury-rigged 10" extension on it to break the plugs loose. Upon removing the plugs and closely looking them over, I swear that it looks like I need a large Torx (six-pointed) wrench--something larger than the biggest one I had in my Craftsman 3/8" bit set. If I EVER decide to change the gear oil in the Taco's front diff again, I will definitely need something besides a 10mm Allen wrench.

Anyway, if you guys have used a 10mm Allen wrench on your GXs, then the plugs must be different than the Tacoma's. Good, I won't have to buy more tools before I tackle the GX.

A few side notes: 1) It's MUCH easier to crawl under a Tacoma with a 2" lift than it is to crawl under the GX--the stupid side steps really get in the way. 2) Rather than a pump, I used a valve/hose device I bought at Auto Zone to transfer the gear oil from the bottles into the diffs/case. Worked reasonably well as long as the hose wasn't kinked. 3) Since I had the skid plate off to get at the front diff, I decided to change the engine's oil & filter too. 4) I agree that lots of paper towels & rags are needed. It's a messy job. You'll need a shower after you finish.
Old 05-14-13, 08:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

With my RX300 AWD, I experimented every year with checking/changing the fluid (roughly 15K miles), one quart in transfer case and one in rear differential was just fine each time. I now run 30K changes and this change for the 4Runner will be a 30K change, too.
Old 05-14-13, 08:46 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

I highly recommend jacking a GX up, put it on jackstands and confirm it's level.

Not sure how you would have enough room to work without it being lifted.

I can change oil and filter without jackstands, but not the front diff and transfer case. Rear diff is easy on ground as well.

Quick Reply: Pics of Differential and Transfer Case Fluid after 63k miles