GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP - GX470 gauges problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 06:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by oardila99
You are correct. That could be! Although the noise is more like a soft grinding noise, like plastic gears grinding on each other. I'll still look for A possible bad ground and see if I see something. Thanks!
I was just scrolling through and noticed this comment, mine makes that noise as well when I first start the truck, and I have no gauge issues. I'm not sure what it is either, but I'd say it's normal, and unrelated to your issue, you likely just didn't notice it before you starting looking into your problems.

I've wondered if it's related to the rear air suspension leveling out when you start the truck, but I thought the compressor was in the back somewhere.
Old 12-02-13, 07:39 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
OP you also have a LED that is out between 0-20mph.
I also had an led out at 0 to 20 mph. I was under extended warranty and they replaced the entire gauge cluster., I noticed when I first got the truck in july that 0 to 20 was dim. The reason I took the truck back in for service was the seat belt buzzer alarm did not buzz the light would blink if I did not put the belt on. The service adviser called me and told me that the buzzer was part of the gauge cluster and they would have to replace the whole unit. They did the job then called to tell me the buzzer even though it says in the manual it should buzz Lexus tech people said it was a mistake in the manual as well as in the shop manual THERE IS NO AUDIBLE BUZZER IN THE 2004 GX470 I dont know if this carried forward to other years as well. Any how they left the new gauge cluster in since I had an led out and I am really happy with the new cluster including the plastic cover its all new. Crystal clear no swirl marks from improper
cleaning
Old 12-04-13, 03:19 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I also had an led out at 0 to 20 mph. I was under extended warranty and they replaced the entire gauge cluster., I noticed when I first got the truck in july that 0 to 20 was dim. The reason I took the truck back in for service was the seat belt buzzer alarm did not buzz the light would blink if I did not put the belt on. The service adviser called me and told me that the buzzer was part of the gauge cluster and they would have to replace the whole unit. They did the job then called to tell me the buzzer even though it says in the manual it should buzz Lexus tech people said it was a mistake in the manual as well as in the shop manual THERE IS NO AUDIBLE BUZZER IN THE 2004 GX470 I dont know if this carried forward to other years as well. Any how they left the new gauge cluster in since I had an led out and I am really happy with the new cluster including the plastic cover its all new. Crystal clear no swirl marks from improper
cleaning
Lucky! I don't know why so many have had that LED(s) burn out on their cluster?

I've replaced the cluster lens on several of my previous vehicles. Nothing irks me more than seeing heavy swirl / scratches on it. For anyone needing a new clear gauge cluster lense they're only $24 from Sewell and would take less than 10mins to swap out.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html
Old 01-06-14, 09:41 PM
tarsarrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus GX 470 Instrument Cluster issues

Originally Posted by Pnd
Just wonder did you find out what wrong with it? I just got the same problem w/ my gx470. Thx.
Have the same issue. Sometimes gauges work and some times they don't. Anyone help please?
Old 01-07-14, 06:19 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the gauge cluster LEDs replaceable? (EDIT - Found a thread on this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-lighting.html)

I too have an LED out in the 0-20 mph area on my speedometer. It was one of the first things I noticed when I got it home.

RCsGX, I've had my eye on that gauge cluster lens. You think it's really just a 10 min job? If so, I'll be making that change soon.

Last edited by roemer7; 01-07-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 07:15 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roemer7
RCsGX, I've had my eye on that gauge cluster lens. You think it's really just a 10 min job? If so, I'll be making that change soon.
Yeah, probably less than that. There's only a few screws and pressure clips and voila the lens is off.

I've replaced it on my MDX and Tundra....piece of cake.
Old 01-07-14, 09:12 AM
fantic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it all the gauges at once? Or just one gauge? I had the speedometer go all wonky on my 03 Denali. Of course just out of warranty. Dealer wanted $700 to send it off to get repaired. Found out there are little stepper motors that the needles attach to that go bad. Found them on Ebay for $5. Replaced it myself. I don't know how the Lexus is made.
Old 01-15-14, 10:29 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Very common problem, we fix these all the time. We repair the dim lighting behind 0-20, gauge issues, and a few other things with the GX clusters.

Call or message us.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-15-14, 10:54 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Very common problem, we fix these all the time. We repair the dim lighting behind 0-20, gauge issues, and a few other things with the GX clusters.

Call or message us.
Cool service I will need to keep it imind. Although I am a little confused over the pricing. There are two prices listed for GX470 guage cluster repair service. What is the difference?
Old 01-15-14, 11:01 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Where are you looking?

Old 01-15-14, 11:18 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cssnms
Cool service I will need to keep it imind. Although I am a little confused over the pricing. There are two prices listed for GX470 guage cluster repair service. What is the difference?
I only see one price of $199.
Old 01-15-14, 11:20 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

$199 is the rebuild price we like to go with which includes needle movement and also backlighting. We can accommodate if you have other issues or less issues, but to ensure you won't have any future failures this is the best option.

If you just replace a few LEDs from the 0-20 range, the white color will not match the rest of the backlighting and it will probably bug you. The remaining backlighting is also prone to fail which is why we go ahead and replace them all.

Old 01-15-14, 11:24 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

If you were also interested in a different color back lighting we can do that too. Many colors available.
Old 01-15-14, 12:10 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Where are you looking?
Never mind, I was reading the LX470 line item. For some reason my brain (probably because I need glasses) was reading "GX".

What would it cost to replace all of the LED bulbs and would the bulbs still have the ability to dim and the auto-dim feature would still work?

For those that have needle movement problems can you guarantee smooth OEM-like movement after you make the repair?

The reason I ask is, I've seen other repairs where the needle operation is jerky or loose in certain places.
Old 01-15-14, 12:12 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

If you just want the LEDs replaced with white (or any other color) we can do that for $99.

The needle movement will be like new, OEM.

Quick Reply: HELP - GX470 gauges problem