GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LED Flasher GX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 07:14 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ahnjae; 12-30-13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 07:51 AM
badboys44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
The next part of the set up.
hi i would like to know what is the value of the potentiometer?

thanks,
samad
Old 05-21-14, 04:57 PM
tzh2231
Driver School Candidate

hmm if you change both front and rear signal light to LED, they should both be very resistance to vibration and has super long life, then why would you care hyperblink? I thought the only harm of hyperblink is shortened life of the bulb, but LEDs will our-run your car by far, is not it?
Old 05-21-14, 05:27 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Because hyperflashing is silly looking and makes it look like you don't know what bulb to use. You'll notcied many high end cars have full LEDs now but they don't hyperflash. Hypeflashing looks tacky....to me anyways.
Old 04-01-15, 10:26 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Anyone figure out what flasher is needed for LED's?

I was about to buy all of them on SBL, and experiment, until I saw they were $15 each!
Old 04-14-15, 07:38 AM
TechJunky
Driver School Candidate

I'm pulling the trigger on this today. From what I've been able to figure out, this should do it.

81980-50030

It is located behind the fuse panel under the dash. Will take some work to get to.
Originally Posted by new2012jee
Anyone figure out what flasher is needed for LED's?

I was about to buy all of them on SBL, and experiment, until I saw they were $15 each!
Old 04-15-15, 11:22 AM
gnhumad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechJunky
I'm pulling the trigger on this today. From what I've been able to figure out, this should do it.

81980-50030

It is located behind the fuse panel under the dash. Will take some work to get to.
That one would not work on my 2005, It's completely different. I ended up returning it. I ultimately found it's just easier to buy the ebay resistors and splice them in using these:
http://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
Old 04-19-15, 05:31 AM
TechJunky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gnhumad
That one would not work on my 2005, It's completely different. I ended up returning it. I ultimately found it's just easier to buy the ebay resistors and splice them in using these:
http://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
You are right. Won't work on the 2007 either. Resistor splice it is.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-25-17, 03:35 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ahnjae
That is the relay I bought as well but I have not had a chance to install it so I cant comment if it works or not. Doing a search tho, it appears it is the correct one. My question is, where is this relay located? Is it under the hood our on the driver side fuse box location?
Hi ahnjae,
I own a 2004 GX470 and have been searching for the location of the turn signal relay. I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how you made out and hopefully get some information. Can you tell me where the relay is located and what LED compatible relay will work to avoid any hyper flashing. VLED offers a few and they make excellent quality products. Please advise.
Thanks
Old 01-25-17, 04:40 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Im doing the same conversion, just rear for now. I ordered an adjustable relay, but it was a impulse buy! I have received all the bulbs, I bought switch back also, but waiting on the relay, tracking says tomorrow. If not the right pin count, going to have to wait for another If its going to be a hassle, I will buy the amber led with the resistor put in and I guess the switch backs will be returned or add to my extra parts. If all else fails, I will just throw a bright PIAA bulb in for the turn signal or similar and have the rest leds.
Old 01-25-17, 05:24 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Im doing the same conversion, just rear for now. I ordered an adjustable relay, but it was a impulse buy! I have received all the bulbs, I bought switch back also, but waiting on the relay, tracking says tomorrow. If not the right pin count, going to have to wait for another If its going to be a hassle, I will buy the amber led with the resistor put in and I guess the switch backs will be returned or add to my extra parts. If all else fails, I will just throw a bright PIAA bulb in for the turn signal or similar and have the rest leds.
Hi DiabloX22,
I have the 2004 GX470, bought it new. 83,000 miles, Blizzard Pearl White. I've changed every interior/exterior bulb to LED except the front and rear turn signals. I did install the front turn signals and immediately got hyper flashing so I took them out. Do you know where the turn signal relay is located? Changing the relay would be a lot easier than installing resistors on each front and rear directional bulb. I say this for 2 reasons.
(1) The resistors have a limited life span. Relays can possibly fail in the future, but you only have to maintain 1 piece of equipment instead of 4.
(2) The rear turn signal, brake, and parking bulbs are unconventional. Each bulb socket receives it's power from contact points on the housing. They have no pigtails. In other words the lighting wiring harness is connected directly to the rear tail light housing itself, instead of to each bulb socket. So adding resistors to the rear turn signal bulbs will involve more work.
I want to pull the relay first before buying so as to compare it to what's available online. VLED offers a selection, but I want to be as certain as possible about which one will match up. So do you know where the turn signal relay is located?
Thanks
Old 01-26-17, 10:00 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

dont know exactly where it is, but its safe to say inside near the fuse box on the left. My flasher I ordered should be here today, so I might be able to start on it. I think I ordered the correct relay, its a 8 pin and thats what the auto parts store says it is. I would not want to splice into wiring, thats just me. Ill update as soon as I can.
The following users liked this post:
scmcna (11-09-23)
Old 01-27-17, 01:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

The relay finally made it! Took a long time to get, it goes from DHL to Usps mail!?!?!??! I dont know what thats all about. So I will be starting on it . I hope it goes smooth!
Old 01-28-17, 03:37 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
The relay finally made it! Took a long time to get, it goes from DHL to Usps mail!?!?!??! I dont know what thats all about. So I will be starting on it . I hope it goes smooth!
Hi DiabloX22,
Let me know where you find the flasher once you start the project and how it all goes. GoodLuck.
BTW, I just came across a flasher made by a company named Diode Dynamics which looks like, the way I read it, may be a solution to our projects. Here's the link, https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...r#!prettyPhoto It looks like they make a basic model, and one with some worthwhile features. If you want to send some $$$$.
Stay in touch

Last edited by Bxbombero; 01-28-17 at 03:44 PM. Reason: The feature rich flasher is called SmartTap and is found under flasher size drop down box
Old 01-28-17, 09:13 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...I finally have a free moment to get into this with you guys. Remove the lowest cover under the steering column. Turn on a blinker....and reach up really high into the dash and grab the back of the fuse panel. Mounted on the backside is the factory flasher relay. You should feel it clicking. That is it. Now I am going to do for you what I couldn't find anyone to do for me.....Stop what you are doing and walk away from the idea of led flasher bulbs! Most if not all of the factory flasher relays in our trucks are 12 pin not 8! No one sells a 12 pin! The auto part stores and online vendors will all tell you that their part fits your vehicle but they are some lying SOB's! Good luck.

Quick Reply: LED Flasher GX470