GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 12:00 PM
ronncat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Just a quick question.
What are your opinions on purchasing the extended warranty for the GX. I know Lexii are bulletproof generally, but the GX is a new model and I plan to keep it for awhile. I have NEVER had a problem with my other Lexii, but given the potential to go offroad and the intricacies of the DVD and nav systems, what is the general consensus. Also what type of deals have those of you who have purchased the GX have been able to squeeze out of the dealer for the extended warranty? Thanks...Ron
Old 12-27-02, 02:08 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

I don't own the GX (yet anyway), however, I am always against the extended warranty. My personal feeling is that if I feel I need this warranty than I probably shouldn't be buying the vehicle. I suppose it also depends on how long you expect to keep the vehicle. We usually keep a car no longer than five years. However, if you wanted it for ten, than maybe this would make more sense. Still, its real value comes into play with major mechanical issues. Otherwise, the cost of the extended warranty will be more than a typical repair.

There are a lot of caveats, etc., in a warranty as well. If you take if off-road and really do some damage, they may not cover it. If you do opt to get this warranty, you should be sure to read carefully the fine print for what is covered and under what circumstance.

Lastly, you can shop the warranty around. You do not have to get the warranty from the dealer where you bought the car. You can call any dealer in the US and get the warranty. You should negotiate the price just like you may do with a car (although perhaps not with the GX the way its going).
Old 01-14-03, 04:33 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

As a car dealer myself... I would ride out on the factory warranty until it is almost up then purchase an extended warranty... It REALLY is a waste of money on a NEW vehicle... plus you are paying interest on an inflated cost warranty...
Old 01-15-03, 12:17 AM
lorslee
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Ron - I really think you should think about getting the new car after you give your lovin' sister a great deal on your old Lexus...
Old 01-16-03, 05:59 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Get the extended warranty

The truck is a 1st year vehicle and who knows what could happen, the Torsen Center Differential is 4000 dollars to replace not to mention labor, if something happens with the down hill assist or hill start or the X-Reas stops working your gonna pay an arm and a leg

This truck has to many computers to go wrong, a minor problem could cost you a few hundred dollars just to diagnose the truck.

The truck already cost 55k so whats another grand, I paid 895 for my extended Warranty to cover me to 60k, I have a 4Runner
Old 01-16-03, 05:15 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by EDGE2
Get the extended warranty

The truck is a 1st year vehicle and who knows what could happen, the Torsen Center Differential is 4000 dollars to replace not to mention labor, if something happens with the down hill assist or hill start or the X-Reas stops working your gonna pay an arm and a leg

This truck has to many computers to go wrong, a minor problem could cost you a few hundred dollars just to diagnose the truck.

The truck already cost 55k so whats another grand, I paid 895 for my extended Warranty to cover me to 60k, I have a 4Runner
Trust me... purchase the warranty later on... As LONG AS your truck has NOT gone over the factory warr. you can add an extended warranty thru the dealer... Or better yet there's a few great companies to warrant your truck later...
Old 01-16-03, 09:08 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

If you want the extended warranty, you should defiantely buy it now. DO NOT "ride out" the factory warranty and then buy it because at that time it will cease being a new car warranty ( 7 years/100,000 miles) and become a used car warranty (specific guidelines on how long your warranty can be for, but not the same as a new car warranty). Also, the used car warranty is way more expensive. The good news is that there is no sales tax on warranties as it is a non-tangible item..... The good thing about getting a warranty is also that the warranty is transferable so if you sell the car, you can sell it to the buyer of your car. And should you trade in your Lexus for a newer model, some dealerships will refund the portion not used. All in all it's a win-win situation for you. Good luck.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-16-03 at 09:24 PM.