GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Driving through the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 11:48 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving through the snow

Picked up mine on Tues pm and....BAM!...we get a major Nor'easter dropping mucho heavy wet snow on our region...perfect!

The GX handled about 6 inches of snow beautifully. Nary a skid or a slip (although I wasn't really trying to do wheelies). I was very impressed with the stability even with all weather Bridgestones. I am not planning to get snow tires (may change my tune if we keep getting snow) but was satisfied with performance of these tires.

The speed/rain sensitive wipers worked perfectly (new feature for me) until the six inches of snow on the roof fell onto the windshield when I stopped at a light. When I started again, the wipers didn't work - which freaked me out a little. I suppose it was just too heavy for the wipers to push but that has never happened to me before. Once I pulled over and wiped the snow off the glass by hand, the wipers were fine. Hmm...maybe in snow the best idea is to keep the wipers moving and not let them stop?

I wish Xenon/HIDs would have been available, but the headlights did seem more than adequate in the city and suburbs. I have not driven yet in really dark places. I might consider a "conversion" once people who understand how to do figure it out.

Haven't really gotten in to the NAV or Video yet, although the NAV does have a number of new features compared to my 2002 SC which I like (more screen options, route previews, etc).

My only issue so far: there is very little storage room in the cabin (certainly compared to my RX). Not even a coin holder. With all the options (DVD video) there are only a couple of cup holders which can be used for stuff. My wife likes that because she hates clutter but I don't have a place for my phone headset, etc. That was a silly oversight by Lexus.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my first couple of days.

Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-26-02, 06:24 PM
rhino
Driver School Candidate

Question Bridgestones??

I just bought mine in CA its a beautiful BLK Onyx GX and I have Dunlop Grand Treks. Why do you have Bridgestones?

One reason I ask is that I think Bridgestones are some of the best tires around. I like Dunlop, but prefer Bridgestones.

Thanks

Rhino
Old 12-26-02, 06:26 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Thats what it came with

I dunno....these tires were on it when I took delivery. Truthfully I didn't even think to ask if there were any choices....
Old 12-26-02, 08:16 PM
degeester
Rookie

I bought my GX in California and it also has Dunlop's.