GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Those who have converted the air suspension, please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 06:56 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PitElevate
OME Medium lift kit
Are you using 883, 884 or 885 springs up front?

If you got 3"+ of lift are you using aftermarket UCAs?

Last edited by RCsGX; 09-12-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 08:15 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

For those out there looking for a factory ride height for a cheap price, I had my leaky air bags removed and had Raybestos coil springs intended for a v8 4runner installed. The only other things I needed was the factory rubber bump stop seats that drop in the top of the spring for a 4runner and a lower fabricated clip bolted to the the existing hole in the bracket on the axle. That's it. Parts totaled $100 and labor was $100. $200 total and the GX rides smooth over everything. The height now sits just a half inch lower than with the airbags at N. if you wanted more height than use FJ Cruiser springs. I do have the "OFF" light blinking occasionally. I pulled the 50a fuse under the hood. I know there is another fuse under there but I wasn't sure if pulling both would set off a check engine or code. If anyone knows for sure what fuse to pull and not to pull could you reply? I am very happy with the results and totally recommend it to others. PM me if there are any questions, I'm only 2 days with the conversion so I will check back and reply if something changes. Also another thanks to Mann777 for his infinite wisdom on our GX's.
Old 01-25-17, 09:11 PM
ericoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Status

Originally Posted by PitElevate
I have put an Old Man Emu 3in lift kit on a 100 series, 80 series, and now my 2008 gx470. If your needs are similar to mine, I wouldn't hesitate. My gx is used to tow my 2 snowmobiles, whitewater raft/trailer, medium difficulty off-road, get to Alta, camping, and daily driver. A quality off-road/fab shop can remove air bags/stock shocks, weld spring perches from an fj cruiser and install an OME or Ironman suspension/lift kit for the FJ. That should cost around 2k parts/labor. I went with a BFG KM2 255/80/17 on the stock rims, and had no rub or contact with control arms. I think if you don't need/want lift, you can proably get stock height coils and run new performance shocks for probably cheaper than a lift or oem parts. My opinion is that it rides/tows WAY better than stock. Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters sells OME lift kits and is a lot of help. If your near Salt Lake City Curtis Mcneil at Just 4 Fun Motorsports did my conversion and a flawless job. No issues with anything.
How has this setup been treating you? I have an appointment with Just4Fun Motorsports for this Friday and want to get any last suggestions/recommendations before I go in to get it done. Are you still happy with it? Had any problems with it? ALSO, Can you make a recommendation for where you got your Wheels Powder Coated for $45 a wheel? Did they remove and mount the tires back on for you too? Look forward to your response!
Old 02-02-17, 05:48 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would I want to convert my Lexus to a 4runner? I get used to with my air bubble. if it fail, I just buy two air bags and replace it, looks easy to replace. So I will stay at is.
Old 02-02-17, 09:56 PM
Saggio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be getting the SOS kit soon. I'll post pics and details.
Old 02-03-17, 04:23 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vxphan
Why would I want to convert my Lexus to a 4runner? I get used to with my air bubble. if it fail, I just buy two air bags and replace it, looks easy to replace. So I will stay at is.
I did convert mine to the Arnott shocks and loved it at first. I had several posts here advocating for the conversion. The shocks rode sporty and way better than stock.....till around 10k miles! Once broken in, all sportiness faded and they were neither sporty, nor luxurious. Kinda blah actually and I really wanted to go back.

It was one of the contributing factors in why I felt I was better off selling it. Coupled with the 120k service was a punch list of things requiring repair or replacement, among them interior plastics that had dried out and began breaking. Converting my 4Runner back to a Lexus was an additional 2K, just for the factory shocks alone. The "altered suspension" took 3k off of resale estimate as well, so now I had really done it.

Had I kept my Lexus a Lexus, I'd likely still have it. Problem was, the car was now boring and thought I did keep the factory airbags, it was actually kinda unruly with weight in the back. That's when the shocks were at their harshest. Now a full conversation with lift, etc. would have been a different story, but the neither here nor there conversion ended up being a big waste of a great vehicle and cash.
Old 02-03-17, 07:55 AM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vxphan
Ditto......................................!