GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Test drove the snot outta a GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 04:39 PM
LexFather

Default Test drove the snot outta a GX

Incredible, I am not a SUV dude, but I was VERY impressed. It looks better in person than in pics first. It was parked side by side to a LX. It is higher and seems almost as long.
The interior is another Lexus tomb, this truck is so quiet it is scarey.
The real wood/chrome interior is top notch, nothing fake here. Buttons are smaller than other Lexus models but it's okay cause....
VOICE NAVIGATION! Gas station, check, street, check, anything, you push the button on the steering wheel, the lil man comes up, the woman answers you, INCREDIBLE!
Handling, the car has comfy to sport settings, I left in in sport most of the time, a HUGE difference. No sports car but I felt comfortable at speed in the turns.
Space, 4 of us were in it, no problems, I am 6'5, 225.
i LOVE THE chrome dials around the gauges.

Dislikes, I dunno, styling is subjective. I like the LX better still. So cushy, u feel no bumps. 54k loaded. Hmmmm.

Overall, a worthy LEXUS, what a truck. Almost not sure why to get the LX.

Old 12-27-02, 04:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I took a good look over one. I agree with 1Sick, looks better in person than in pics.

Interior looks really great except for a couple of things. I really don't like gear lever leather 'boots' especially on automatics and this one looks awful. Also, for some reason the lever tilts toward the driver (I guess so short people can reach it) but it ends up looking like a Mustang shifter that way.

The nav system looks great and from a brief look at features, seems like a big improvement (maybe over all other models).

I was disappointed by the room inside though. It has LESS rear (2nd row) legroom than the RX300 and unlike on the GX on the RX300 the rear seats go back/forth, but even all the way forward they seem to have more room than the GX. The 3rd row seats on the GX are good for amputees, small children, a dog, or shopping. I'd leave 'em out all the time. As far as cargo room with them out, it looked like it would be only slightly more than the RX300 if at all. Also, sitting in the car, I'd be surprised if the GX was much wider than the RX300 if at all. So I guess you can tell I with the GX was bigger. I guess that's what the LX is for.

Finally, the rear swing door is just a bad idea. The hinges are on the wrong (right hand) side if you park by a right hand side curb, and the door is so big that there's no way it will be able to be opened inside most garages while the garage door is down.

So for me (or rather my wife who might like it) it's a mixed bag, but a very nice looking one! Love the chrome bar on the back.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-27-02 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-28-02, 10:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never thought about the rear door issues to that degree. It does appear to have a european flavor to it.

Regarding interior space, I feel there is more room in the GX when sitting in it. I also owned an RX and a Land Cruiser. I felt the size much closer to the LX (even more in the rear) than the RX.

Below are the dimensions, if I am incorrect I wonder what they are doing with this space. Inches of sound insulation maybe :-)

On the lenght the engine compartment could easily make up much of the difference between the RX and GX.

GX
Overall length: 188.2 in
Overall width: 74.0 in
Overall height: 74.6 in1

RX
Overall length: 180.1 in
Overall width: 71.5 in
Overall height: 65.7 in (unloaded)

LX
Overall length: 192.5 in
Overall width: 76.4 in
Overall height: 72.8 in1
Old 12-28-02, 12:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think the 'overall' width of the GX consists a good bit of those big plastic fender flares They look good though.
Old 12-28-02, 01:26 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck frame

Having turned in my RX for a GX this week....

I think its mostly the truck frame which is higher and therefore the seats cant fold down like the RX, but fold accordian style like the LX....that pretty much takes up the extra foot of length.

It is definitely wider, and with less of the back impacted by wheel wells, there is more width available for cargo.

Its higher too of course, but the truck frame is higher so no gain there.

With the 3rd row out, I got more stuff in than the RX and its a bit easier too because of the width. But not as much as I expected considering the significant increase in size.
Old 12-29-02, 01:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks knicksfan. Good feedback. My wife has an RX300 with 90K mi. on it so at some point we'll trade it in for something and obviously the GX is of interest.

Will be interested to hear any other comparisons.
Old 12-29-02, 10:09 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I dislike about the RX over the GX is the front wheel drive pull. You turn on to a road from a stop with a bit of acceleration and the steering wheel pulls (typically of most FWD cars) oversterring you sometimes off the road if it weren't for driver correction.

You won't get this in the GX as the main drive is truly to the rear wheels with a controlled amount of torque provided to the front when needed.

It prefer the center dash of the GX better than the RX. The RX looks too much like a center throne as opposed to attempting to integrate it to the rest.

Not sure how the RX has advanced with the rear seats. I know you can recline them, but I don't think as far as the GX. The GX can recline nearly as far as a front seat can. It's quite nice.

I do prefer the hatch of the RX to the GX's door. I truly like the 4runner's hatch and sliding down window.

That's all for now, if I think of more, will be sure to post.
Old 12-31-02, 01:36 PM
LexFather

I agree with the torque steer in FWD RXs. In the loaners, it is very obvious and the VSC comes on all the time to correct it IMO. The AWD RX we have does not display this attribute though.

When placed together, the GX looks bigger than hte LX, must be the height and as Bit stated, the wheel arches.