GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mdx

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 07:55 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mdx

Hello,

I am curious if any of you considered the MDX while also shopping the GX470? I'd like to hear thoughts from anyone who has looked at both.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-02, 08:10 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default I did!

I had a couple of deposits placed for an '03 MDX fully loaded but when I heard about the GX-470, I jumped ship.

MDX is a great vehicle but I see too many of them on the road. I just wanted to have somethng different and maybe "better".

I think the GX-470 is a lot better but of course, it also cost a lot more.
Old 12-23-02, 08:34 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Me too

I also had a deposit on MDX. Two of my partners have them and they are very nice.

I actually prefer the third seat configuration in the MDX (fold down) to the "up and away" of the GX. However, the GX is more luxurious and has some nifty features (ML for example) and is probably more capable for the off-road experience. Most important for me is the Lexus reliability - both of my colleagues have had some issues (clunking, etc.) which I do not want to deal with.

I think both vehicles are great. I'd be interested when people can start getting their hands on the Volvo, Cayenne, VW Toureg etc!
Old 12-23-02, 11:57 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the replies.

I too have become somewhat disconcerted over the plethora of MDX's around. It seems I cannot go one mile from my home without seeing 3-4 of them. Of course this is not a great reason to not get the MDX, but I admit to wanting a vehicle a little less common. I don't want the wife to come out the store and spend the next 20 minutes walking to each silver MDX until she finds ours!

The 2003 MDX seems to offer everything in terms of features, size, and price. Also, like Lexus, it has an excellent reputation for reliability. However, its stylings are a bit bland. The XC90 is nice from the outside, but I think the inside is a bit confused. There seems to be an odd mix of sporty plastic and wood. It is almost as if they couldn't make up their mind as to what experience they wanted you to have. I am also concerned about Volvo reliability, especially on a first year vehicle. As we would be interested in the T6 model, the turbo adds an extra potential reliability problem. It also seems that the XC90 is very difficult to get. I don't think the Volvo offers enough over an MDX (or Lexus) to make it worth the long wait and potential problems. I am no fan of Porsche and would not spend that much on an SUV. I am also no fan of BMW. The VW seems to be reviewed well and shares some parts with the Porsche. However, I am not a fan of its stylings nor do I really want the VW brand.

The GX470 is more exclusive and opulent compared to the MDX. I am surprised that it has less HP (although it is a V8) and I hear the NAV is not as nice as Acura's. It also has a bit less room than the MDX (due to the body on frame design) and I agree the fold down 3rd row in the MDX is a better design than in the GX. I also don't understand why the GX has the swing out tailgate. In the end we clearly will have to drive both to determine what's right. I figure the MDX with Touring/NAV will be about $8k less than a similarly configured GX470.
Old 12-24-02, 12:23 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default No Regrets

Whatever the case, just don't have second thoughts while driving your new vehicle out of the parking lot after you bought it.

After spending over $40K for one of these babies, it will be sad to know that one would feel as if they had made the wrong choice.

Both vehicles have their advantages and disadvantages over the other. This is where you will need to check how many of one's advantages fit in the criterira you want for your next vehicle.

The Toureg has been getting a lot of good reviews in the magazine articles and maybe its high time that VW has a goood vehicle to compete with the other makes. But, being a VW, I woud wait one year after the vehivle's introduction just to make sure that all bugs get fixed.

I think that Lexus has a much better reputation for quality.
Old 12-24-02, 01:13 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Hey

the VW and the Porsche are very expensive, maybe justly so but i cannot warrant spending that much on a SUV.

the GX470 may have a little less HP but the Torque is massive and that is what you really need with a large SUV.

really though you have to drive them to see what you like better, that is the deciding factor in any large purchase.
Old 12-24-02, 02:25 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

I doubt I will have regrets over the purchase as I tend to spend a lot of time in research before pulling the trigger. I haven't regretted a car purchase yet. I will also certainly test drive. I was going to say that I would never buy a car without a test drive (generally true), but my current car was not available to be test driven when I bought it. That said, it is still highly unlikely that I would buy a vehicle without a test drive.

I'd be interested in hearing some pros and cons in favor of the MDX and GX470. Perhaps there are points I have not considered.

Actually the MDX has 260hp and I think the GX is around 220-225 (which is quite a bit more HP in favor of Acura). However, you are right on the torque and the GX. I think the VW is less than the GX in price, although the Porsche is certainly more.
Old 12-24-02, 04:31 PM
LexFather

MDX based on a minivan. GX a world reknown TRUE SUV. Nuff said.

Old 12-24-02, 04:40 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
MDX based on a minivan. GX a world reknown TRUE SUV. Nuff said.
To say that is an oversimplification would be an understatement.
Old 12-24-02, 05:22 PM
LexFather

To say that is an oversimplification would be an understatement.
K.I.S.S. MDX is a nice truck but why buy one over the Pilot? THe GX offers quite a few more reasons than fake wood.

Old 12-26-02, 05:03 PM
S2KMAN
Driver School Candidate

K.I.S.S. MDX is a nice truck but why buy one over the Pilot? THe GX offers quite a few more reasons than fake wood.
For the same reason people buy the ES300 over the Camry, or a TL over an Accord. There are a lot of similarities to be sure, but there are differences as well. Fit and finish, styling, warranty, sales experience, and brand all come to mind.
Old 12-27-02, 03:02 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Actually, I very seriously considered.......

Originally posted by S2KMAN
..............I'd be interested in hearing some pros and cons in favor of the MDX and GX470. Perhaps there are points I have not considered.

Actually the MDX has 260hp and I think the GX is around 220-225 (which is quite a bit more HP in favor of Acura). However, you are right on the torque and the GX. I think the VW is less than the GX in price, although the Porsche is certainly more.
........the GX 470 and new '03 4Runner Limited as alternate choices, before finally buying my '03 MDX.

The MOST IMPORTANT reason I chose the MDX over the GX and 4runner, was the NAVIGATION SYSTEM, which is a VERY IMPORTANT feature of a vehicle to me. This 2nd-generation Honda Navi is greatly enhanced from the previous version, and is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Lexus Navi (which I've also used extensively)

Other factors that contributed to a lesser extent were:

a whopping 5mpg better highway fuel economy for the MDX (18mpg vs. 23mpg)

Better front seats: true 8-way power adjustment for driver and passenger. The GX uses the same lackluster power seats as the 4runner. The driver seat is actually a 6-way power seat masquerading as a 8-way. You CANNOT independently adjust seat height for the FRONT and REAR sections of the seat. The WHOLE SEAT just goes UP or DOWN.

The FRONT passenger seat is just a 4-way power seat (IMHO, this is a very UN-LEXUS-LIKE cost cutting measure which is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE in this price range!!)

Another great feature available in the MDX (Navigation model) is the BACKUP CAMERA. It was only after living with this feature for a week or so, that I realized how useful it is (Now I don't even know how I lived WITHOUT it for so long! :eek: )......The GX does not have this, nor any other kind of "park assist" to aid in parking. In this price range, this is a very glaring omission IMHO!

FYI, the MDX produces 260bhp, whereas the Lexus V8 peaks at 235bhp. However the V8 in the GX produces a hefty 320lb.ft of peak torque compared to 250lb.ft. for the MDX.

That said, both the GX and MDX are fine vehicles. Just depends on what features are most important to you!

Last edited by vicpai; 12-27-02 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-27-02, 03:09 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation I surely have to disagree here!

The 2nd-generation VOICE ACTIVATED Navigation System alone is worth buying the MDX over the Pilot!! The difference between this new Navi and the old one (used in the Pilot) is like Day and Night!!

Secondly don't forget the 20 additional horses! (240bhp for Pilot versus 260bhp for the MDX)

.......don't look like merely cosmetic differences to me!
Old 12-27-02, 10:07 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Vic,

Good points.

There are always compromises in a design. The MDX has 4-wheel independent suspension, that is tuned for sportiness (car-like) and very little wheel articulation (no off-roading). The GX is more true SUV/truck, with solid rear axle, which is excellent for off-roading (good wheel articulation) and towing. Handling will be affected on-road. However, the roadholding in the GX is not far behind at all from the MDX.

Vic, tell me another V8 in a SUV/truck that gets as good as 15/18 as does the GX 4.7L V8. None comes to my mind at this point. Please REMEMBER that the GX has a MUCH bigger engine, and is a V8 afterall! There is no way that it can get as good as a V6. Comparison should just stop between the two. You have to compare it to OTHER V8's.

Seats...you may have a point...but i did not find any problems with it...and neither does ANY OTHER REVIEWERS!

Parking assistance...totally agree with you! Damn Toyota!

Navi system?? I don't have an opinion. The 3rd gen NAVI arrived in 2002...have you tried this version from Lexus???? It is supposedly better than previous versions (faster, more options).

Braking-wise, the GX has huge 13" front and 12" rear ALL-VENTED DISCS, with FOUR-piston calibers up front and TWO in rear. I am sure it will handle the extra weight with ease.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-02, 11:04 AM
degeester
Rookie

Good points made by all. We purchased a GX470 and are very happy.

A important deciding factor was that we have a small business, can and will use the IRS Section 179 deduction and the additional 30% deduction to help small businesses post 9/11. We will get a tax deduction somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 this year.

We could not get such a saving with the lighter MDX.

Quick Reply: Mdx