GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 GX VSC OFF & Center Differential Lock lights on

Old 10-28-13, 09:02 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You said happy ending.
Old 10-29-13, 07:36 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question maybe, but what would happen if you accidently hit the VSC button while driving at 45mph?
Old 10-29-13, 08:12 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sprocket
Stupid question maybe, but what would happen if you accidently hit the VSC button while driving at 45mph?
We don't have a VSC button. If you mean the center diff lock button, nothing bad will happen. Just make sure to turn it off if you're on pavement.
Old 10-29-13, 11:53 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
We don't have a VSC button. If you mean the center diff lock button, nothing bad will happen. Just make sure to turn it off if you're on pavement.
That's exactly what I meant. I must have hit it by accident Sunday when plugging in my phone charger. I was towing my boat and all of a sudden I saw the VSC Off light and the 4x4 light as shown on P1 of this thread.
Old 01-14-14, 03:25 PM
SpeedFour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to wifey today, it was evident from her description that diff lock was engaged but the button wouldn't release. A quick read through the manual didn't warn of any impending doom should she drive home (five turns total), and didn't even list a top speed for low gear so I told her to come on home. While she was in transit I found this thread and lo'n'behold a quick reverse down the drive (after pushing the button to make it flash ) cured the issue. Thanks CL!

Originally Posted by sprocket
That's exactly what I meant. I must have hit it by accident Sunday when plugging in my phone charger. I was towing my boat and all of a sudden I saw the VSC Off light and the 4x4 light as shown on P1 of this thread.
Common logic would suggest that turns on dry pavement would bind the drivetrain power up causing wheel spin (if possible) or some damage..... not sure how the tackle has advanced since the days when I actually went off roading with zeal, but I'd imagine wifey did 'some' damage on her way home, but weighing the risk I took the chance. Time will tell.
Old 04-11-14, 08:42 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mansito
It was stuck from lack of use. Before I took the GX to a gravel area as suggested by IanB2, I read the manual carefully. It suggests to drive it in reverse when the VSC OFF and the Center Diff Lock lights are on. I put it in reverse in my driveway, and before I go to the end of the driveway the lights went off. IanB2, thanks for the suggestion. I bet doing eights on a gravel road would have unlocked the center diff also.
Good times, Great thread!! My wife texted me a picture of her dash last night with the VCS OFF and the pic of tires and X lit up. A quick search on this forum and walla!! she is off and running! Thx all!!
Old 12-06-15, 07:33 PM
MomCar
Driver School Candidate

Bringing back this post, hope someone can help. My button was accidentally pressed tonight by a passenger.

I've tried all of these suggestions and the ones in the manual. I've driven in reverse and drive in straight lines and even in circles and figure eights (tore up the yard doing it) and they diff still won't unlock. The VSC OFF light is on and the diff light is blinking as if the process was not complete. But the diff is definitely locked. I even tried disconnecting the battery.

Nothing seems to be working. This is a case of the button never being used and its an '04 so this has me worried. Please help if you can.
Old 12-07-15, 06:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I can only suggest trying the suggestions again, perhaps moving the transfer case into neutral might help.

If you do decide to take it to the dealer, get it flat-bedded. You should not drive it on pavement with the center diff locked.

Chip H.
Old 12-07-15, 07:55 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I came on today to ask this same question and notice someone had the problem. My solution was a bit different. I did not notice both light was on the dash and as i was reversing out to the street, my car was stuck. I had to give it some gas and it caused my tires to skid a bit. My initial reserve was a decline and and when i approach the street it was a incline. From there I press the center diff button and the lights went away. Any idea why my car would hesitate in reverse?
Old 12-07-15, 10:23 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

If you were on pavement, that would be a sign that the driveline was binding because the torque couldn't be released. With the center differential locked, if there is a speed difference between the front & rear axles (difference in wheel circumference, etc), the only way to relieve the torque is for a tire to slip.

Chip H.
Old 12-07-15, 10:42 AM
MomCar
Driver School Candidate

Ok I've tried everything again. I'm starting to think it may be an electrical problem because my driver's side front turn signal which is brand new isn't working sometimes. Like half the time it works and the other half it does not. Also now my driver's side window is not automatic when it goes up or down and the rest of the windows don't work at all. This problem is quickly getting out of hand.
Old 12-08-15, 07:04 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Battery.

Since your window lost it's auto-up settings.

Also check fuses and condition of the battery cables (ground strap too!)

Chip H.
Old 12-08-15, 10:37 AM
MomCar
Driver School Candidate

I've checked all of the fuses that I could think to check (nearly half) and none of them were blown. Also if I used the switch on each door to roll the windows down they work, but they don't always work from the drivers switches. Still no luck with the differential as well.
Old 12-08-15, 01:49 PM
MomCar
Driver School Candidate

I spoke to someone at the Lexus dealership that I bought the car from. He said to put the car in neutral, hold the button for one minute, put the car in reverse and roll back about 20-30 feet, put the car back in neutral, hold the button again, then roll forward.

I'll try this when I get home and let you guys know if this worked.

EDIT

That didn't work. I'm screwed.

Last edited by MomCar; 12-08-15 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 02:44 PM
agent15
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just wanted to voice my appreciation for all the feedback in this thread as well since this happened to me earlier today leaving my neighborhood. I heard the loud clunk and the two cluster lights came on.

I also experienced the flashing indicator on the cluster when I tried to activate the switch. Some combination of shifting the transfer case in and out of neutral, reversing, and turning the center lock switch on and off resolved it for me.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (10-06-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 GX VSC OFF & Center Differential Lock lights on