GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 05:33 PM
kordate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.

In January 2009 I purchased a 2006 GX470 to use as a tow vehicle for a 5,000 lb Airstream travel trailer.

Tires:

The original tires were Michelin passenger car tires: P265/65R17 110S and had about 34,000 miles.
Prior to the GX470 I had driven smaller vehicles: Volvos, Saabs, VWs and Honda Accords, a CR-V) and an Odyssey.
I found the handling of the GX470 (32 psi and no trailer attached) vague and less predictable with more roll and dip with manoeuvring than the vehicles above.
We made two trips of about 4,000 miles each with the GX470 and the trailer on these tires.
The front shocks were replaced with factory between trips.
When they were replaced December 2011 I followed the advice of a towing expert and installed light truck tires: Continental LT245/70R17 119/116S (40 psi) and the improvement in handling was impressive – with or without the trailer. The ride is “firmer” but not harsh and the tires are as quiet as the Michelin passenger tires. The steering is much more precise and predictable especially when braking or when cornering at speed with the trailer attached.
The 245/70 is not a typo – no adjustment to the instrumentation was necessary.
They also grip very well in Canadian winter snow.
We have towed 6,000 miles with these tires. The rear shocks were replaced part way through.

Wheels:

The original wheels developed unsightly corrosion by 2010 and were replaced with American Racing AR95T 17x7.5 ($138 each!) that are silver machined with clear coat.
It’s not easy to find wheels in this size.
We are pleased with the appearance of these wheels - see their website.

Gas:

After watching a consumer oriented program mid-2012 which included interviews with two automobile engineers who stated that any automobile engine built since 2000 can run perfectly well on regular gas we switched to regular gas and I swear the engine runs quieter and smoother with no hint of knocking even under adverse conditions: pulling our trailer up mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee.
Apparently because regular gas burns more readily than premium blends it burns more completely: a small improvement in mileage occurs with less engine deposits.
The $ saving is pleasant.
Disclaimer: do not accept my statements as concrete evidence of the safety of substituting regular gas for premium; you must make this determination for yourself!

I would be interested in hearing any (polite) comments.
Old 10-13-13, 06:09 PM
daboxster
Driver School Candidate

When traveling down I5 in California, if I find some expensive gas, I'll downgrade from premium. I don't see any performance difference traveling 65-75mph. I don't know if the internals are not feeling the love.
Old 10-13-13, 10:03 PM
Niteblu
Driver School Candidate

For the weight of the GX running LT tires is a handling improvement. Some feel the added weight of the tires effects fuel economy, I don't see it.
In regards to the fuel, the 2uz-fe engine is not high compression. This is the same engine that is used in the Tundra and V8 4Runner that run on regular unleaded. The only use of premium unleaded is to be certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle II (U-LEV II).
Old 10-21-13, 06:18 PM
daboxster
Driver School Candidate

Default tires & Gas

Good points on the V8 and use of lower grades - I'll continue to mix 50/50 when I can. I have continentals on my 2004 GX470. I may stay with the same tire. I'm a fan of Yokohamas, but they may not be best suited for this vehicle. I use Tirerack.com as my review source. Cheers
Old 12-06-13, 09:36 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kordate
In January 2009 I purchased a 2006 GX470 to use as a tow vehicle for a 5,000 lb Airstream travel trailer.

Tires:

The original tires were Michelin passenger car tires: P265/65R17 110S and had about 34,000 miles.
Prior to the GX470 I had driven smaller vehicles: Volvos, Saabs, VWs and Honda Accords, a CR-V) and an Odyssey.
I found the handling of the GX470 (32 psi and no trailer attached) vague and less predictable with more roll and dip with manoeuvring than the vehicles above.
We made two trips of about 4,000 miles each with the GX470 and the trailer on these tires.
The front shocks were replaced with factory between trips.
When they were replaced December 2011 I followed the advice of a towing expert and installed light truck tires: Continental LT245/70R17 119/116S (40 psi) and the improvement in handling was impressive – with or without the trailer. The ride is “firmer” but not harsh and the tires are as quiet as the Michelin passenger tires. The steering is much more precise and predictable especially when braking or when cornering at speed with the trailer attached.
The 245/70 is not a typo – no adjustment to the instrumentation was necessary.
They also grip very well in Canadian winter snow.
We have towed 6,000 miles with these tires. The rear shocks were replaced part way through.

Wheels:

The original wheels developed unsightly corrosion by 2010 and were replaced with American Racing AR95T 17x7.5 ($138 each!) that are silver machined with clear coat.
It’s not easy to find wheels in this size.
We are pleased with the appearance of these wheels - see their website.

Gas:

After watching a consumer oriented program mid-2012 which included interviews with two automobile engineers who stated that any automobile engine built since 2000 can run perfectly well on regular gas we switched to regular gas and I swear the engine runs quieter and smoother with no hint of knocking even under adverse conditions: pulling our trailer up mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee.
Apparently because regular gas burns more readily than premium blends it burns more completely: a small improvement in mileage occurs with less engine deposits.
The $ saving is pleasant.
Disclaimer: do not accept my statements as concrete evidence of the safety of substituting regular gas for premium; you must make this determination for yourself!

I would be interested in hearing any (polite) comments.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm curious: can you post any pics of your 245/70s on your GX? I wonder what it looks like. I like the idea. Thinking about maybe doing it w/my next set of winters.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 12-07-13, 07:32 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I think exactly opposite about the gas. Mine runs and sounds like crap on regular.
Old 12-07-13, 09:01 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

i think the theory is that if you put high octane gas in an engine of normal compression, ie not a high compression engine, that you don't get complete burn of the fuel becasue the temp is not high enough and may experience a rougher engine perfomance. .. I remember I had a 77 camaro with a 350 eingine. The manual said regular gas, but I thought i was doing the car a favor by using super. car ran terrible, when you put your foot down and those other two barrels on the carb opened up the car missed. Had the carb replaced under warranty...no change. Then the mechanic asked me what gas I was putting in. He told me to try regular, the 350's in 1977 were not high compression...One tank full of regular and the car never missed again. And I have noticed the same in the truck...runs much smoother full throttlewith regular vs super.
Old 12-07-13, 11:18 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
i think the theory is that if you put high octane gas in an engine of normal compression, ie not a high compression engine, that you don't get complete burn of the fuel becasue the temp is not high enough and may experience a rougher engine perfomance. .. I remember I had a 77 camaro with a 350 eingine. The manual said regular gas, but I thought i was doing the car a favor by using super. car ran terrible, when you put your foot down and those other two barrels on the carb opened up the car missed. Had the carb replaced under warranty...no change. Then the mechanic asked me what gas I was putting in. He told me to try regular, the 350's in 1977 were not high compression...One tank full of regular and the car never missed again. And I have noticed the same in the truck...runs much smoother full throttlewith regular vs super.
Many of the opinions expressed here make sense. The only issue I see is the diff between 88 gas and 92 gas is about a 5 % increase in octane . The early cars were designed to run on leaded fuel
once they took away the lead the car performance was different Now with different formulas for gas 10 % ethanol and other additives I am still going to stay with premium gas. My truck runs fine so I see no reason to change. I also think that todays cars and trucks with ECU are able to change the settings to accommodate the different fuels in use.
Old 12-07-13, 11:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

While the manual for my 2005 GX says that premium fuel is "recommended", it also says that 87 octane fuel is okay. Since I bought my GX 8 1/2 years ago, I have consistently used regular fuel, and I have not used a single drop of premium fuel. During those 8 1/2 years, I haven't heard a single knock from the engine. My fuel economy has consistently been between about 19 and a bit over 20 mpg for my driving, which is only rarely done in stop-and-go conditions, and that is a little above the vehicle's EPA highway rating. It may be the case that I'm sacrificing a tiny amount of horsepower, but, even if that might be the case, it isn't enough to be noticeable, and it certainly isn't enough to justify, to me, paying an extra $.40 per gallon for premium fuel.

Similarly, the manual for the 2006 ES that I had until last summer said that premium fuel was "recommended", but it, like with the GX, said that a minimum of 87 octane was okay. Like with the GX, I ran that vehicle for 105,000 miles with regular fuel. I never had an issue, and my mpg was also a bit above the EPA highway rating.

I figure that, between the miles that I've put on the GX and the ones that I had on the ES until I sold it, using regular fuel has put over $1000 in my pocket that otherwise would have been spent on premium fuel, and I plan to continue to use regular fuel in the GX and to continue to keep the extra money in my pocket until or unless I see some compelling reason to change what I've been doing.
Old 12-09-13, 11:04 AM
kordate
Driver School Candidate

Default Photos: GX470 with AR95T wheels and LT245/70R17

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm curious: can you post any pics of your 245/70s on your GX? I wonder what it looks like. I like the idea. Thinking about maybe doing it w/my next set of winters.

Thanks!
Scott
As requested.
Not recently washed - it's winter here!
Attached Thumbnails GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.-img_4527_1.jpg   GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.-img_4528_1.jpg   GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.-img_4529_1.jpg  
Old 12-09-13, 11:22 AM
kordate
Driver School Candidate

Default Gas octane update.

I'm the fellow that started this thread and who uses a 2006 GX470 to tow a 5,000+ lb Airstream travel trailer.
This fall we towed our trailer from Toronto Ontario to Vancouver through the mountains of western Canada and then south to Oregon and back through the US mountains to Toronto.
I experimented with using different octane rated gasoline.
My impression is that while towing uphill in the mountains the GX470 usually stayed in a higher gear on roughly the same mountain grade. Other than downshifting more readily under heavy load on lower octane rated gasoline the engine ran the same.
On less demanding terrain there was no noticeable difference - except for the price at the pump.
My hypothesis is that the GX470 engine is capable of developing more torque/horsepower at the same RPM when burning a gasoline of higher octane (which enables it to burn a richer air/fuel mix without knocking) but that under normal driving conditions this is rarely required.
Old 12-09-13, 11:53 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Go back to premium and see how much better it runs. I was surprised after being on regularfor awhile.
Old 12-09-13, 12:33 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kordate
I'm the fellow that started this thread and who uses a 2006 GX470 to tow a 5,000+ lb Airstream travel trailer.
This fall we towed our trailer from Toronto Ontario to Vancouver through the mountains of western Canada and then south to Oregon and back through the US mountains to Toronto.
I experimented with using different octane rated gasoline.
My impression is that while towing uphill in the mountains the GX470 usually stayed in a higher gear on roughly the same mountain grade. Other than downshifting more readily under heavy load on lower octane rated gasoline the engine ran the same.
On less demanding terrain there was no noticeable difference - except for the price at the pump.
My hypothesis is that the GX470 engine is capable of developing more torque/horsepower at the same RPM when burning a gasoline of higher octane (which enables it to burn a richer air/fuel mix without knocking) but that under normal driving conditions this is rarely required.
If that were the case, and I am not saying it is not true, why wouldn't Toyota recommend higher octane for the tundra? Same engine, a pick up, etc???
Old 12-09-13, 12:44 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that were the case, and I am not saying it is not true, why wouldn't Toyota recommend higher octane for the tundra? Same engine, a pick up, etc???
IIRC the GX made slightly more power than the 4runner of the same year w/the same engine. My guess is this is due to a slightly different tune & the premium fuel reco.

Wonder if same was true w/Tundra...?
Old 12-09-13, 02:03 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They do. It says the exact same thing in both the 2005 GX manual and the 2005 Tundra manual;

"Octane Rating 87; For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher is recommend."

Originally Posted by stiles_s

Wonder if same was true w/Tundra...?
Nope same, VVT-i / 271HP.

Quick Reply: GX470: Tires, Wheels & Gas.