GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 2003 Paint Issue? (Northern Virginia)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 02:11 PM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GX 470 2003 Paint Issue? (Northern Virginia)

Hello everyone! I have a serious concern. My 470 (only front right side of bumpber) kind of got nicked up while trying to park. How much do you think this job will run me? (college student ) My pictures are attached above. Should I go to my local Maaco? One place told me it would be 574 because of having to completely taking the bumper off and labor. Any suggestions would be appriciated!

Attached Thumbnails GX 470 2003 Paint Issue? (Northern Virginia)-photo-2-.jpg   GX 470 2003 Paint Issue? (Northern Virginia)-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 02-07-13, 03:03 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In all sincerity, $574 is a good price for just paint alone - particularly metallic (assuming qualified bodyshop). From what you've shown, there is minimal rework needed but that also depends on other nicks/chips.

Pulling the bumper skin is easy, see how much they'll knock off if you just deliver the skin to them... should save about 1.5-2 hours labor from estimate. If you have some simple tools (10mm socket and a few other misc torx and phillips bits) you can do removal and reinstall it your self very easily in 30-45min each side (DIY around here some place).

Also, offer to pay w/ green stuff - not CC and not a check - green only... body shops dealing/negotiating w/ insurance companies all day every day appreciate that and will price accordingly if they know it up front

Good luck and done right, Mom and Dad may never know
Old 02-07-13, 03:13 PM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

I think they ment completely removing the bumper not just the skin. Thank you for responding I appreciate it!
Old 02-07-13, 05:42 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Looks like 80% of it can be polished out, they rest touched up,with two step pearl paint and wait until it happens again and then just buy the new bumper and repaint, probably cheaper than and better than a repair. The bumper is only $284 at Sewell. Has t o be cheaper than pulling the bumper and stripping and repainting it. Start with new, easier for body shop to make it perfect too. Plastic is harder to work with then metal for repairs.

Last edited by ALAN553; 02-07-13 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 08:08 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwash703
I think they ment completely removing the bumper not just the skin. Thank you for responding I appreciate it!
We're talking about the same thing, sort of. "Bumpers", the visible portion, now a days are just plastic 'skins'. The skin (cover) offers no protective qualities during impacts, etc. The true bumper structure (impact beams, reinforcements, absorption arms, etc.) are hidden underneath. They will not be removing those at all for yours, just the skin to respray.

Below is front bumper parts diagram courtesy of Sewell so you can see the difference (and how easily the skin comes off):

Good luck

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2004.html

Old 02-08-13, 09:20 AM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
We're talking about the same thing, sort of. "Bumpers", the visible portion, now a days are just plastic 'skins'. The skin (cover) offers no protective qualities during impacts, etc. The true bumper structure (impact beams, reinforcements, absorption arms, etc.) are hidden underneath. They will not be removing those at all for yours, just the skin to respray.

Below is front bumper parts diagram courtesy of Sewell so you can see the difference (and how easily the skin comes off):

Good luck

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2004.html

Ok I will defentitly look into that. This is my first time in a situation like this, so thank you. I'm still kind of baffled that this will be almost 600 bucks!
Old 02-08-13, 09:41 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Looks like 80% of it can be polished out, they rest touched up,with two step pearl paint and wait until it happens again and then just buy the new bumper and repaint, probably cheaper than and better than a repair. The bumper is only $284 at Sewell. Has t o be cheaper than pulling the bumper and stripping and repainting it. Start with new, easier for body shop to make it perfect too. Plastic is harder to work with then metal for repairs.
This is what I would do if I were in your situation. Buff it off and use touch up paint to mask the scratches. It won't be 100%, but a good workaround if you're short on cash.
Old 02-08-13, 03:26 PM
REPLAY1
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I would disagree. Almost non of that will be able to be polished out in my opinion. From the photos its down to the primer or through in some spots. Also that being a tri stage paint its very hard to even get close to matching so don't get anyone to "blow in" that spot. You could always try touching it up using a paint pen as stated for a temporary fix. Don't waste you're time or money purchasing a new bumper. New bumpers still need to be prepped (overhauled propperly) before paint also. The bodyshop will still charge you removal and install even if you bring in a new bumper unless you do it yourself. A good shop will need the vehicle anyways to try and match that paint. I am guessing a shop would charge 1.5-2hr to repair that plus refinishing time. Which will be cheaper still then purchasing a new one. Personally I would save up and have it done properly at a reputable shop. Typically you get what you pay for with bodywork. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-13, 12:46 PM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

I went to another shop and they are charging 473! Almost a 100 dollar drop off. I will post details shortly. Thank you will
Old 02-09-13, 01:32 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Although replay1 disagrees with my plan, I do agree with you get what you pay for in body work. Doesn't it amaze you that Macco can repainted a car for $199?? I have repainted the front bumper on the cheap and then had to redo it the correct way. I am friends with an owner of a "high end" body shop, there are rapairs and there is restoration. It's just a matter of price and how important the car is to you and how long you think you will own it.
Old 02-09-13, 03:44 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it yourself....www.automotivetouchup.com
Old 02-10-13, 05:28 AM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
do it yourself....www.automotivetouchup.com
I will look into this! Have you ever done this and is this a better solution than going to a shop? Just curious
Old 02-10-13, 07:11 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yes, I've used it to repair some damage from my wife backing into a trailer and my buddy used it to repaint his whole front bumper on my suggestion.

It's a super easy system to use and matches your factory color code to a T. Just take your time, sand it down nicely and use a little body filler to mask the deeper scratches and it'll be looking 95% better for only 1/10 the cost.
Get your factory color and a can of clear and you'll be done in no time.
Old 02-10-13, 08:32 AM
kwash703
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
yes, I've used it to repair some damage from my wife backing into a trailer and my buddy used it to repaint his whole front bumper on my suggestion.

It's a super easy system to use and matches your factory color code to a T. Just take your time, sand it down nicely and use a little body filler to mask the deeper scratches and it'll be looking 95% better for only 1/10 the cost.
Get your factory color and a can of clear and you'll be done in no time.
How much will it cost me? Sorry to ask I'm not by a computer right now. Do I need to buy any other tools or does it come in a kit/instructions. Was it your first time
Doing it?
Old 02-10-13, 03:44 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I dont remember if they provide indepth instructions on how to paint something. I dont think so. THey'll send you the pressurized spray cans of your matched paint and leave the rest up to you.

I'd recommend looking up some youtube videos on automotive body repair, including body filler (bondo), sanding and prepping for paint. Dont be intimidated, it isnt hard once you have the knowledge on how to do it properly.

You'll be glad you did the work yourself and proud of the outcome Im sure.