GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 04:27 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Battery Issues

so I bought a new Toyota Battery and now it hesitates to start , been doing this for a few months , drove it back to the Toyota dealership which is 70 miles from home , tested good ,
have any idea why in the cold weather it's hard to start and when it's warmer it's fine .
2004 GX 470 , first battery ,

is it worth having local import repair take look or go back to Toyota .
Old 02-05-13, 02:33 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If battery tests fine, and assuming all connections are corrosion free, you should next be looking at charging/alternator issues?

You can test yourself w/ a multimeter or have any indy do it for you as alt technology is basically same across any vehicle.
Old 02-10-13, 06:44 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

thanks everyone , just puzzled why this is happening with a new battery . one day fine next day not grrrrrrrr/ going to visit Toyota dealer soon , 70 miles to toyota dealership .
Old 02-26-13, 04:39 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

well heading tomorrow to local import service , for the toyota dealer told me, my motor was old , what 's with that , I have 32,000 miles on my 2004 GX 470.

never did this since the new battery was installed grrrrrr

now I'm wondering could it be the air filter ?
Old 02-26-13, 07:49 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tipler
well heading tomorrow to local import service , for the toyota dealer told me, my motor was old , what 's with that , I have 32,000 miles on my 2004 GX 470.

never did this since the new battery was installed grrrrrr

now I'm wondering could it be the air filter ?
had the same issue on my inlaw's Suzuki Aerio. It was fixed. Reason was ground cable.
When I was observing it was looking good, once I touched it then it fell apart. Salty roads in East coast caused that.
Old 02-26-13, 08:06 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Lexus issued a TSB to this issue saying that "No Start Condition at Freezing temprature is not due to Battery Issues, it the Fuel Pump sub tank assy. This needs replacement. the Fuel pump fails to function.
Old 02-27-13, 04:53 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mann777
Lexus issued a TSB to this issue saying that "No Start Condition at Freezing temprature is not due to Battery Issues, it the Fuel Pump sub tank assy. This needs replacement. the Fuel pump fails to function.
the GX starts fine, it just hesitates to crank over .

where do I fine the TBS on the fuel pump ?
thanks
Old 02-27-13, 09:38 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

PM sent to you.
Old 02-28-13, 04:20 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

took Gx for service and had the GX looked at and the battery is fine and they did diagnostic testing and nothing showed , so GX is ok , they told the everything was good to go , so we'll see .
next time to Toyota Dealer and not local import service .
thanks everyone I'll keep seeing how my GX is starting and if still not right , it's going to the Toyota Service

, mann 777 , please pm with the TBS if you can plz.
Old 03-01-13, 04:57 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
i dont follow. you went to an import shop for them to look at? what was the results from that vs what you were told at dealer?
took my GX to get the battery checked which was fine , so we started the GX and I was told it was normal how it was starting , with the cranking before the start of GX .(import)

Toyota told me everything was normal as for the starting ,

My concern is when the weather is cold , and having a brand new battery it's doesn't crank over with out holding the key and it's grunts to start .

hope this helps , during warm weather it's charm to start .

Grrr never did this ever happen until I had the new battery installed .
Old 03-03-13, 03:32 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

You should not even have to hold the key to start it. Just turn the key and let go, the electronic start takes over and cranks the engine until it starts. Just like pushing a button on the keyless start systems.
Old 03-04-13, 05:00 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
sounds like a bum battery, one that degrades in cold cranking AMPs when the battery gets cold.

what temp does this issue happen?
cold temps , like below 10 degrees
thanks
Old 03-04-13, 05:01 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ALAN553
You should not even have to hold the key to start it. Just turn the key and let go, the electronic start takes over and cranks the engine until it starts. Just like pushing a button on the keyless start systems.
that's just what I always had happen til the new battery
Old 03-05-13, 11:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I was having a similar issue with my current battery (first replacement). Frist time I had a problem with this new battery my wife or kids had left the rear interior light on over night and the engine would barely crank over the next day. The second time I had an issue which was just last week it appears my wife had switched the headlight switch to the "on" position rather than "auto" so the lights were staying on when she parked the truck, as a result the battery was running low on juice so the engine was again slow to crank over. -- Yes I know lights were left on, but my point being in eiither instance given the amount of time the lights were left on, neither should have drained the battery that quickly.

It seems to me that the OEM Toyota battery has just enough amps to turn the starter/engine over. The OEM battery just does not seem to have a well of juice to do the job if there is any sort of drain on it. esp when it's cold out Leave the int/ext lights on for very long and my truck has a trouble starting.

I may just plunk down the $'s for an Optima battery.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-05-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-05-13, 04:08 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lights left on shouldn't be an issue unless the switch is bad b/c headlights (even left in the ON position) will shut off ~ 30 seconds after last door closes... UNLESS they were turned on manually AFTER ignition is shut off.

A culprit could be one of the door switches corroding or being stuck open. Any interior lights still on after a few minutes of shut off (assuming all switches in auto position) and all doors closed?

Have a specific gravity test run on your battery to see it's true charge holding capability.

Good luck

Quick Reply: New Battery Issues