GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension - Bottoming Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 06:06 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension - Bottoming Out

2004 GX 470 (New to me)

Symptoms:

- Vehicle rides like a dream on smooth roads.
- Vehicle seems like it is bottoming out on rough roads, speed bumps, etc.
- Height control works well.
- Left side rear bumper is 3/4 - 1" lower than right side rear bumper in both high & neutral settings.
- Rear bumper is straight and not bent

I've done the reading and it seems the pack is split a little on this issue. 33% think it's the sensors, 33% think it's shocks and 33% think it's just the nature of the beast

I would love to hear from any folks that have had the exact same issue and had it fixed. As I don't live anywhere near a Lexus dealer, I'd like to try and diagnose the problem before making a road trip.

As an aside, I called the Lexus dealer in Saint John & in Halifax. (Canadian cities... not important). Saint John wanted $486.99 for a sensor and Halifax wanted $426.99. Guess who will be getting my service dollars

Thanks guys!

Chris

Last edited by Crispy3M; 02-01-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:37 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI I think you can order the sensors cheaper from Seawell Lexus Auto Parts if you sign up as a club lexus member. Also I find the shocks bottom out for me only when I am in soft/luxury mode. Any settings right of that i'm pretty good.
Old 02-01-13, 01:44 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
Just an FYI I think you can order the sensors cheaper from Seawell Lexus Auto Parts if you sign up as a club lexus member. Also I find the shocks bottom out for me only when I am in soft/luxury mode. Any settings right of that i'm pretty good.
Yes... I've read that. Thank you!

I've tried all modes and they are pretty much all the same. One of the Lexus dealers I spoke with told me there was a TSB on the Height Sensors and suspects that is the problem but I could tell from talking with him that he was just grasping at straws.

I have an aftermarket warranty and they have agreed to cover the problem so it's going to the garage next week. I'll update on any progress but would still love to hear of any success stories if there are any...

Cheers!
Old 02-01-13, 07:06 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on your rear shocks?

I solved my bottoming issue by replacing the shocks (at 65k miles) and ensuring the rear ride height was in spec.
Old 02-01-13, 10:25 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
do you mean Sewell ??
Yes I do. ..........
Old 02-02-13, 08:57 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I installed oem shocks made for an fj that i got on ebay for $50. Problem solved.
Old 02-02-13, 12:48 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
How many miles on your rear shocks?

I solved my bottoming issue by replacing the shocks (at 65k miles) and ensuring the rear ride height was in spec.
93,000 miles on the vehicle now. I'll mention that to the shop when I drop it off.

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 02-21-13, 04:25 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Update...

Well,

Just got home from three weeks at work to find the truck all fixed and ready. Haven't talked to the garage yet, but they mentioned changing one of the height sensors.

The truck now rides worse than it ever did. Feels like it's riding just inches above the axle and any little dip in the road causes a "thud"

I'll be calling them tomorrow unfortunately.

Has anyone found a Toyota "Exact Match" for the shocks? What I mean is, with my old LX 450, I would buy Toyota Land Cruiser parts which were an exact match in both function and part number but much cheaper. I've read several threads on here where folks claim to have gotten rear shocks for as little as $208.00 but as far as I can tell, Sewell is selling them for $639.88 each.

Cheers!

Last edited by Crispy3M; 02-21-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 09:46 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I put fj shocks in and its nice now.
Old 02-22-13, 02:56 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
I put fj shocks in and its nice now.
Questions:

1. Same part number?
2. Were they an exact match?
3. Do they have the Pigtail to plug in to the ride control.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-13, 07:14 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Exact match. Definitely no adjustable dampening.
Old 02-22-13, 09:50 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a full set of these on Ebay last month for ridiculously short money ($100 including shipping). I should have pulled the trigger but wasn't sure if they would fit.

I've been on the fence with this for months. I don't really care about the adjustable dampening but I am concerned about resale value. If I knew for sure that new factory shocks would fix the problem, I would spend the 1100 bucks and put them in myself.

My truck has ~95K on it now; the ride is not horrible but seems t o be worse when it is cold.

Has anyone every replaced their factor shocks and said: "Wow" this is a night and day difference? I'm looking to improve the handling of this pig while still having a smooth ride (not sure if possible on non KDSS GX). I could live with a really smooth ride and ****ty handling but not ****ty ride AND ****ty handling.

What about bilsteins from the Arnett kit which are supposedly tuned for this vehicle (I want to keep the air bags if possible)
Old 02-22-13, 05:09 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Thanks Chris!

I think I'd like to go with the factory replacements... my brain is unfortunately hard wired to keep things factory. It's a problem sometimes

Has anyone tried the ones advertised on Ebay from "BuyAutoParts" ??

US $1,139.95 for the complete set but I would guess the quality is less than stellar.

Cheers!

PS. I've read on here that there are definitely 4 ride height sensors on a 2004 GX but the garage I had it taken to swears there are only two (on the back). As I just got back and haven't really wanted to crawl under the thing in the snow and slush, I have no clue if the thread I read was right or the garage. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-13, 05:28 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
Thanks Chris!

I think I'd like to go with the factory replacements... my brain is unfortunately hard wired to keep things factory. It's a problem sometimes

Has anyone tried the ones advertised on Ebay from "BuyAutoParts" ??

US $1,139.95 for the complete set but I would guess the quality is less than stellar.

Cheers!

PS. I've read on here that there are definitely 4 ride height sensors on a 2004 GX but the garage I had it taken to swears there are only two (on the back). As I just got back and haven't really wanted to crawl under the thing in the snow and slush, I have no clue if the thread I read was right or the garage. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Buy Auto Parts claims they are OEM so I would assume they are just that. However be quick if your gonna buy after I asked them any questions they raised their prices double a few months back.
Old 02-23-13, 09:18 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I paid $50 front and rear for slightly used fj shocks. No adjustable dampening but feels like butter again. Bags are going in the garbage next. And coils going in. Already have them.

Quick Reply: Suspension - Bottoming Out