GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement Kits Rear Shocks/Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 08:39 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do not waste your money on the sensor... is not your sensors! I have to resale mines...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx4...ight-rear.html

Last edited by angelslex; 03-28-13 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 06:36 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

There are three links to different brands on this thread. Anyone have any input on them. The Arnott Industries seem the priciest, but can't beat a good set of Belstiens. Anyone try the other brands or have an opportunity to compare side by side?
Old 04-05-13, 11:55 AM
gwoneg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but do you lose the comfort-sport-etc setting adjustability when you replace the original struts with aftermarket suspension kits like the Arnott or the Bilstein?
Old 04-05-13, 01:08 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gwoneg
This might be a stupid question, but do you lose the comfort-sport-etc setting adjustability when you replace the original struts with aftermarket suspension kits like the Arnott or the Bilstein?
Ah, won't respond to the first part, but if you replace the shocks with non electronic dampening system, you would would be unable to make any electronic changes to the shock settings. You are left with just a plain old fashioned shock...
Old 04-08-13, 01:37 PM
gwoneg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Ah, won't respond to the first part, but if you replace the shocks with non electronic dampening system, you would would be unable to make any electronic changes to the shock settings. You are left with just a plain old fashioned shock...
I appreciate your discretion. My next question is whether anybody makes an aftermarket electronic shock system that is compatible with the Lexus ride control switch or whether you only retain the ability to adjust with OEM Lexus electronic shocks?
Old 04-08-13, 04:50 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I appreciate your discretion. My next question is whether anybody makes an aftermarket electronic shock system that is compatible with the Lexus ride control switch or whether you only retain the ability to adjust with OEM Lexus electronic shocks?
I would bet Lexus has the market cornered on its electronic shock. I have never seen or heard of any aftermarket company that makes an OEM comparable shock.
Old 04-08-13, 04:50 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

You can stick with OEM, or convert to a regular shock like the 4runner and FJ Cruiser use. There is no aftermarket electronic adjustable shocks that will work with the factory Lexus electronics.
Old 04-15-13, 10:13 AM
gwoneg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing.
Old 04-18-13, 10:53 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Default Didn't Convert

After all of my reading and research and almost dumping the truck out of frustration, I finally discovered the real issue plaging my truck and it was a leacky air spring. Sure seemed like the sensors, since I would raise the backend and all would be fine for a while. The leak ended up being around the very top of the airbag, so when I raised the rear of the truck, with the switch or hight control modules, it would pinch the leaky section and all would be fine for a while. Mostly, till the truck was in cooler weather. Once the truck sould sit and the pressure would drop, the problem would start up again. Totally makes sence now

I opted for new air springs instead of the spring conversion and now the truck rides like I remember it. Solid, yet controlled. The old air springs were definitely showing their stress, but I'm really glad I didn't ignore the issue and burn up my pump. I don't tow, but opted to keep the truck stock. It seems a full blown offroad conversion is far better that the somewhat half baked solutions being offered. None of the companies offering the spring conversions could offer any information about bracket requirements others have listed and said there are no issues. Looking at the posting on this site and others, that's clearly not the case and failure to install some type of retention system could prove a huge mistake.

It just seemed easier to remove the guesswork for myself and any future buyers, if I decide to sell the truck someday to keep it stock.

Just thought I would add this to the thread, if someone else could benefit.
Old 08-02-13, 04:17 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
After all of my reading and research and almost dumping the truck out of frustration, I finally discovered the real issue plaging my truck and it was a leacky air spring. Sure seemed like the sensors, since I would raise the backend and all would be fine for a while. The leak ended up being around the very top of the airbag, so when I raised the rear of the truck, with the switch or hight control modules, it would pinch the leaky section and all would be fine for a while. Mostly, till the truck was in cooler weather. Once the truck sould sit and the pressure would drop, the problem would start up again. Totally makes sence now

I opted for new air springs instead of the spring conversion and now the truck rides like I remember it. Solid, yet controlled. The old air springs were definitely showing their stress, but I'm really glad I didn't ignore the issue and burn up my pump. I don't tow, but opted to keep the truck stock. It seems a full blown offroad conversion is far better that the somewhat half baked solutions being offered. None of the companies offering the spring conversions could offer any information about bracket requirements others have listed and said there are no issues. Looking at the posting on this site and others, that's clearly not the case and failure to install some type of retention system could prove a huge mistake.

It just seemed easier to remove the guesswork for myself and any future buyers, if I decide to sell the truck someday to keep it stock.

Just thought I would add this to the thread, if someone else could benefit.
Same issue here. I had my mechanic spend an hour with a spray bottle filled with sudsy water looking at the air lines, airbags, compressor etc. we didn't find anything. My guess is because of the dust shield that blocks the whole upper half of the airbag we were not able to spray and see/check the tops. My question is how did you finally find the leak? Did you have to remove it first to test?
Old 08-02-13, 04:25 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Same issue here. I had my mechanic spend an hour with a spray bottle filled with sudsy water looking at the air lines, airbags, compressor etc. we didn't find anything. My guess is because of the dust shield that blocks the whole upper half of the airbag we were not able to spray and see/check the tops. My question is how did you finally find the leak? Did you have to remove it first to test?
We were testing with the airbags fully inflated and the truck at its highest position. I happened to discover it after moving the truck to its lowest position, then bouncing up and down on the back bumper. In my case, no soap was required. I could clearly hear the air escape at the top of the bag and moving around the dust cover would change its pitch.
Old 08-02-13, 06:10 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
We were testing with the airbags fully inflated and the truck at its highest position. I happened to discover it after moving the truck to its lowest position, then bouncing up and down on the back bumper. In my case, no soap was required. I could clearly hear the air escape at the top of the bag and moving around the dust cover would change its pitch.
That's good info, if I keep having firm ride issues and low truck in the morning I will try it, thanks
Old 05-01-15, 07:33 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default blinking light

For those that did the conversion kit... Were you able to turn off the blinking light in the dash? TIA
Old 05-01-15, 08:17 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angelslex
For those that did the conversion kit... Were you able to turn off the blinking light in the dash? TIA
I did the conversion a week ago and didn't unplug anything. I don't have any flashing dash lights, everything looks the same as before the conversion.
Old 05-02-15, 07:18 PM
angelslex
Instructor

So you left the hight sensor plug in the truck? You didn't take off the fuse? Could you take a pic of your installation instructions please.

Quick Reply: Replacement Kits Rear Shocks/Suspension