GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Advice on 04 GX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 07:35 PM
lexusdriv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 04 GX Purchase

A friend of mine is moving out of the country. He is selling his 04 GX to me for 17K. The truck is in immaculate condition with the following:

98,000 miles
timing belt changed and water pump replaced at 80,000
ongoing service records available
all weather mats (including the trunk)
towing package
satellite radio (small crack in the dash as a result of installation)
New tires at 90,000

What do you guys think? 98,000 sounds like a lot of miles but I have been driving an ES 300 for 12 years now that has 218,000 and stills runs great! I am ready for a new to me Lexus and overall this seems like a good deal. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-12, 08:39 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Nothing wrong with the price or the mileage. The power train is pretty much bullet proof, so no concern, especially when you know the seller and records of all maintenance. If the crack in the dash is the wood strips on either side of the navi, then hopefully it doesn't bother you. Those strips are $900 each, unless you can score a new set salvaged. Not sure what to expect with possible wear in colder climates, since I live in AZ. My Bro-In-Law just move here from Seattle with 140K on his GX and it looks way better than mine, having not endured AZ summers, but neither of us have had any issues. Mine has had more rubber and plastic parts fail than his, so I would think the GX you're considering should run great for a long time and stay looking sharp too. Go for it. :-)
Old 12-01-12, 09:01 PM
lexusdriv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Nothing wrong with the price or the mileage. The power train is pretty much bullet proof, so no concern, especially when you know the seller and records of all maintenance. If the crack in the dash is the wood strips on either side of the navi, then hopefully it doesn't bother you. Those strips are $900 each, unless you can score a new set salvaged. Not sure what to expect with possible wear in colder climates, since I live in AZ. My Bro-In-Law just move here from Seattle with 140K on his GX and it looks way better than mine, having not endured AZ summers, but neither of us have had any issues. Mine has had more rubber and plastic parts fail than his, so I would think the GX you're considering should run great for a long time and stay looking sharp too. Go for it. :-)
Thanks for your response. What would you estimate the average annual maintenance costs to be?
Old 12-02-12, 05:41 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdriv2
Thanks for your response. What would you estimate the average annual maintenance costs to be?
As long as a major component doesn't fail--it CAN happen--maintenance should be limited to the usual wear-and-tear items. Oil changes; various filters (oil, air, cabin) as required due to mileage. Things like tires; wiper blades; brake pads; battery; floor mats; etc. may need replacing as they wear out.

Of course, should you need or want to take your GX to a Lexus dealer for service, you will have to open your wallet wide--REALLY wide! Most Toyota dealers can/will service a GX too.

Our '08 has needed very little so far: oil & filter changes (do these myself) and some new wiper blades.

Last edited by RickC5; 12-02-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 02:32 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdriv2
Generally speaking, no more than the average V8 4Runner of the same age. Lexus dealers do tend to charge a mint for their coffee and cookies, so you're better off finding an independent and trusted mechanic. That of course holds true for any vehicle and dealership.

There are generally two issues that can be quite expensive on a GX, compared to a 4Runner and that's pretty much anything associated with the suspension, such as hight control, sensors, airbags, pump and replacement shocks. The other is anything associated with the Navi unit. The DVD reader, display, etc. Since everything climate control, audio, etc runs through the display, a malfunction on that level can be pretty pricy to repair. Tons of other makers have been cashing in on this setup as well, but the caveat to the GX, vs Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai is the lack of available parts and salvaged models. The GX just doesn't break and rated one of the best for roll-over avoidance, so there just aren't many in the salvage yards. I say that, like it's a bad thing, but just pointing out the facts.

I'm betting this will be far less of an issue in a few years as the vehicles age, lose value and consequently totaled by insurance companies, but for now it's a bit of an issue.