GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Low beam issues. Any advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 04:33 PM
rodeo360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beam issues. Any advice appreciated.

GX470 2003.

Got in the car tonight and noticed that the low beams didn't come on as I pulled out of the driveway. Flipped the high beams on and they worked. I figured I'd get down the road with the highs on and then park for the night. At a stop sign the high beams went out. I was able to pull around the block with the high beams on as long as I held the lever back.

I popped the hood and check the fuses...they were fine. pulled one of the low beam bulbs out and jiggled it and the wire and it lit up. Did the same with the other low beam and it lit up. Turned the car off went in the house and washed my hands. When I got back in the car, the low beams were out again. I popped the hood, pulled the bulbs, jiggled them and got only the driver side working again.

As I was thinking about it, I recall a bulb going out a few years ago and when I pulled it to replace it it came back on as well (changed both bulbs anyways at the time).

I figure I either have a switch, a relay or an electrical wiring problem going on. Can anyone provide some insight and give me a few things I should be looking for to diagnose and fix this issue?

Thank you, in advance for any tips or insight into this issue.
Old 11-27-12, 06:25 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I had the exact same symptoms with the DRL bulbs on our '08. Everything has been fine once I bought & intalled new bulbs. Stock-type replacement bulbs are pretty cheap, unless you have HIDs.
Old 11-27-12, 09:08 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I would discount a relay or switch if a simple jiggle of the wire and bulb fixed it, even temporarily. Wiring or the bulb make more sense. I would start with the bulb and work from there especially if its been a few years since you replaced them. I would go ahead and buy some bulb grease (~1$) as well since it helps keep connections clean and water out, though its optional.
Old 11-28-12, 11:23 AM
rodeo360
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the replies and the advice.

As an update. I went and bought new bulbs for the low beams and that still didn't work. I also changed all the 10A fuses. Still no luck.

Then, sitting in front of the auto parts store with the lights facing a wall, I started flipping the switch for the lights on and of and putting the turn signals on and off. A few times between switching from AUTO to off to manual lights and back to AUTO, I saw the headlights flicker. Finally, I was able to get the headlights to stay on (his and lows) but only in the manual on position, the AUTO on doesn't work for highs or lows.

So, I figure it is the switch. Going to try to pull the stem off and clean the contacts and connection before I lay out the $150 for a whole new switch.
Old 11-28-12, 12:32 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodeo360

As an update. I went and bought new bulbs for the low beams and that still didn't work. I also changed all the 10A fuses. Still no luck.

Then, sitting in front of the auto parts store with the lights facing a wall, I started flipping the switch for the lights on and of and putting the turn signals on and off. A few times between switching from AUTO to off to manual lights and back to AUTO, I saw the headlights flicker. Finally, I was able to get the headlights to stay on (his and lows) but only in the manual on position, the AUTO on doesn't work for highs or lows.

So, I figure it is the switch. Going to try to pull the stem off and clean the contacts and connection before I lay out the $150 for a whole new switch.
How very interesting. I am watching this for your results
Old 11-28-12, 12:47 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodeo360

Ahhh, okay. I had assumed you working from a start point of having the switch in the "ON" position not the AUTO. Makes more sense why they wouldn't work or work intermittently with it in the AUTO position and there being something wrong with either the switch or the sensor on the dash. Hope it all works out for ya! Ill have to keep checking back to see what your end results are and what fixed the problem.
Old 01-06-13, 07:40 PM
JJJAMES511
Driver School Candidate

So after reading your post I went and took a look at my headlight and i got it to work after messing with the pigtail connection that goes straight into the light bulb. Turns out mine was chipped in 2 places causing a loose connection messing with the circuitry. New pigtail, no issues anymore, need to wire the pigtail yourself though