GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Which options are you ordering for the GX?
Nav Only
18.75%
Nav & RSES & 3rd Row
14.29%
Nav & 3rd Row
20.54%
Loaded with all options
46.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

GX 470 Negotiated Price with Options vs. Dealer Invoice

Old 02-06-03, 07:26 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20k on light truck tires?

Wow - I have never in my life heard a story like that. What are you doing - four wheel drive burnouts? I've had three sport utilities and never had a set of light truck tires (three different brands) last less than 40k. Most went to at least 50k. Firestone Wilderness AT's, Bridgestone duelers, and a set of Radial rovers (I forget the brand). 20k means that there is something wrong with either your alignment, your tire pressure, or you're driving thru a nail factory every day!! My good friend has a 1995 Pathfinder with 140k on the clock and he's just gotten his thrid set of tires. He regularly drives up to Maine for snomobile trips on dirt roads and he's obviously had no issues. I think your experience is very odd. I'd like to hear if anyone else has had a similar one...
Old 02-06-03, 01:43 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Tires

I agree, I've never had to change my tires at 20,000 miles either. I would be disappointed if I did have to that soon and I don't run around on tires that are badly worn. What gives?
My GX came with Bridgestone, my husband was hoping for Mitchlens, I don't really care, just so they are good ones.
Old 02-06-03, 01:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

177mph
well now you heard it I had a 96 and 2000 Pathfinder both OE set of tires lasted till 27k, thankfully it was summer time so I drove around on slicks, they where not bald just no traction and I could easily fishtail, never abused nore neglected.

The 1st Pathfinder had an alignment issue that wore the front outside edge right off the tires that was corrected but never addressed on the earlier trucks from the 96 model year when it was redesigned, the newer ones don't have that issue.

The Yokohamas I replaced them with always lasted 2 times longer.

Also the 2 Altimas we had never got more than 20 off of the OE Generals or Firestones but the Yokohamas that replaced the OE tires lasted 2 or 3 times longer.

My experience with OE tires on Nissan vehicles is after 20k get new tires.

I'll see how the Dunlops on my 4Runner wear out, I wanted the Michelins Cross Terrain but I took what the truck had.
Old 02-12-03, 07:39 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Wink

edge2 - I wanted to hear from others!! It still seems odd to me that you get such bad mileage from tires. Especially truck tires!! I can maybe understand car tires (your werent blaming nissan earlier were you? Its the tires not the car) but even my 2000 maxima with factory 17" bridgestone potenzas (high perf tires) had 32k on it and the tires were still well within the tread limits (state law, etc). And I beat on that car! (lease). I hung corners hard and switched off the traction control often. Maybe you're not rotating? 20k is inexcusable. If you could show that you werent driving too hard - you could sue!!!
Old 02-12-03, 05:09 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

BMY 740i Sport with Michelin Piolt Sports -- bald at 25,000 miles

Micheline Energy MXV4's on a SAAB 9-3 Cab shot at 23,000 (tread not down to the wear bars yet, but zero traction).

Last edited by AWilmit; 02-13-03 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 06:44 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

177mph

Rotated every 2000 miles with 35 lbs in the tires, I did drive hard but nothin that was unusual from anyone else, I did not beat on the car.

Not blaming Nissan but maybe I cut 10k off the life of the tires by driving faster and not slowing down on entrance and exit ramps.

The tires lasted till 20k kept them on till 27K but when driving in rain the truck felt like it was hydroplaning and would easily fishtail,
Old 02-15-03, 10:35 AM
RRYAN
Driver School Candidate

Default Not a penny less

I'm from San Antonio and there is only 1 Lexus dealership here. I was told it would take 3 weeks to get the GX470 I wanted. I was called 3 days later and told there were bringing one in from Atlanta GA. I tried to negotiate the price and they told me because there was a waiting list and because of the demand of the vehicle, they couldn't even negotiate a penny off MSRP for me.
I paid $54925.00/with TTL etc. $57501.92 I even paid cash. Did I get poked or has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by RRYAN; 02-15-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-15-03, 11:09 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I paid full MSRP

I didn't get a nickel off even though I have purchased 3 Lexi from my dealer. He did give me a good price on some after-market additions like K40, phone install, etc.

I am surprised by the reports of discounting on the GX at this stage of the game.
Old 02-15-03, 11:32 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

RRYAN, writes did I get poked on price? IMHO yes, I have the exact rig even same color at a much less $$$$$. These dealers are like anyother auto brand, they will deal when you head for the door lol.
Old 02-15-03, 05:58 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

After two months of waiting with deposit, I finally signed a purchased order two days ago at MSRP -- GX silver/ivory, full spec. I was also unable to negotiate the price down. The dealer is trying to bring it from another dealer within the northwest and expects to car here within a week. If there is a way to pay less, I'd sure like to know it before I write the check.

Cheers
Old 02-16-03, 04:26 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Default not to be silly but....

Have you tried negotiating?
Old 02-16-03, 04:37 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Default not to be silly but....

Old 02-16-03, 05:32 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

>>

Yup and I haven't given up and still working on it.

Other than free all weather mats or an extra free service, no mvmt on price so far. Funny thing one dealer near me even has one in stock :-)

Cheers
Old 02-16-03, 05:41 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Negotiating

177MPH
I've been reading these posts for several weeks now, and unless I'm mistaken, no one except YOU has been able to "negotiate" a deal on a GX for anything "close to invoice" as you claim to have done. How about sharing with the rest of us exactly where you purchased your GX and for how much. Even JMLexus in Fla., with 61 GX's in stock, won't discount. I'll bet your dealer could use all the business that would result from the rest of us, who are on waiting lists, saving thousands by buying in New Jersey.
Old 02-18-03, 09:04 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

dmizock:

For what it is worth, I live in New Jersey and have not been able to get a deal on a GX. I dealt with one dealer in CT where I told him I would make the trip out if he made it worth my while with ANY discount. Still, no go (in fact, he tried to nail me on the interest factor on the lease by almost 2 percentage pts, effectively giving him several thousand dollars above MSRP). I too would love to get the GX for $500 above invoice like 177MPH, but my dealer in Englewood pretty much laughed at that idea (he said some dealers may be discounting the GX a bit if they have large inventories and want to move particular cars, but he doubted any dealer would sell any Lexus at $500 above invoice unless there was an incentive program going on). Really, a 1% profit on a $50,0000 car isn't enough to turn on the lights in the dealership (and, assuming the salesman gets 1/3, for the $170 commission, I doubt the salesman would even bother to waste his time working on the sale).

I pick up my GX on 2/25, so any help in getting the price down would be more than welcome (just knowing the dealership in NJ willing to discount by so much would give me significant leverage to work a deal before signing on my GX).

For what it is worth, I have never paid much above 3% above invoice for any car, so I consider myself at least fair at negotiating the price of a car. Nevertheless, in this case, more than one Lexus dealer has been more than happy to let me walk out rather than give me any discount on the GX.

Come on 177MPH, how about some info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX 470 Negotiated Price with Options vs. Dealer Invoice