GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Leaky radiator...$800 from the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 05:18 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky radiator...$800 from the dealer?

I was a bit surprised to learn that my radiator was leaking, at the bottom on both the driver's and passenger side. I noticed a small puddle underneath the car for the first time last weekend.

My favorite machanic can get me one from NAPA for $250, install it for andother $150 or so. Lexus dealer quoted me $800 just for the radiator! I have read that a Lexus dealer Sewell??? will give a discount to fourm members, can anyone verify?

I would like to keep her OEM, but would a new OEM radiator leak in another 7 years? A friend who is a Toyota service manager said he has seen a number of unusual failures on parts he never used to since Toyota started using that pink 50/50 coolant. He suspects bad pH levels over time from it. I will admit I did add distilled water and a little Toyota red coolant to the pink 50/50 that was in my car several months ago, not knowing it was different from the regular Toyota red coolant. Think that contributed to the failure?

Anyone else have radiator failures, and did you go OEM?? Did you use the Toyota pink 50/50 coolant or did you go back to the regular Toyota red?

The rig has 95k miles on it, and it has had the 90k service done at a Lexus dealer.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by EricGreen; 10-31-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:28 AM
Lexor470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EricGreen
I was a bit surprised to learn that my radiator was leaking, at the bottom on both the driver's and passenger side. I noticed a small puddle underneath the car for the first time last weekend.

My favorite machanic can get me one from NAPA for $250, install it for andother $150 or so. Lexus dealer quoted me $800 just for the radiator! I have read that a Lexus dealer Sewell??? will give a discount to fourm members, can anyone verify?

I would like to keep her OEM, but would a new OEM radiator leak in another 7 years? A friend who is a Toyota service manager said he has seen a number of unusual failures on parts he never used to since Toyota started using that pink 50/50 coolant. He suspects bad pH levels over time from it. I will admit I did add distilled water and a little Toyota red coolant to the pink 50/50 that was in my car several months ago, not knowing it was different from the regular Toyota red coolant. Think that contributed to the failure?

Anyone else have radiator failures, and did you go OEM?? Did you use the Toyota pink 50/50 coolant or did you go back to the regular Toyota red?

The rig has 95k miles on it, and it has had the 90k service done at a Lexus dealer.

Thanks for any help.
It might be best to get the OEM radiator from another source rather than the dealer. Look up some online parts store. As for the failure, I'm not familiar with these and I'm hoping my GX with 77,000 miles won't have this issue.
Old 11-02-12, 12:10 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes it is a known issue - several other GX owners experienced similar. I had my radiator replaced a couple of weeks ago. Don't bother with the OEM radiator. - Toyota/Lexus doesn't make their own radiators anyway, they buy them from someone else. Not to mention why would want to replace your radiator with a radiator that is known to develop pin-hole leaks in 5 to 7 yrs?

That being said, not all aftermarket radiators are created equal. I recommend a Koyorad radiator. I bought one, then picked up 2 gallons of the Toyota extra long life 50/50 mix and had it installed for less than $450. The red fluid needs to be diluted, go with the 50/50 mix pink stuff.

Here is the link to my thread on the subject which includes a link the radiator from Part Geek https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-leaking.html

Last edited by cssnms; 11-03-12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 02:47 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Yes it is a known issue - several other GX owners experienced similar. I had my radiator replaced a couple of weeks ago. Don't bother with the OEM radiator. - Toyota/Lexus doesn't make their own radiators anyway, they buy them from someone else. Not to mention why would want to replace your radiator with a radiator that is known to develop pin-hole leaks in 5 to 7 yrs?

That being said, not all aftermarket radiators are created equal. I recommend a Koyora radiator. I bought one, then picked up 2 gallons of the Toyota extra long life 50/50 mix and had it installed for less than $450. The red fluid needs to be diluted, go with the 50/50 mix pink stuff.

Here is the link to my thread on the subject which includes a link the radiator from Part Geek https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-leaking.html
Chris, thanks! Ordered the last one in stock, my lucky day

Think there is any merit to this pink 50/50 coolant being the culprit of so many radiator failures, or is everyone convinced it's the part? Using regular Toyota red and diluting it with distilled water can't be bad for this Lexus can it?
Old 11-02-12, 03:17 PM
cssnms
Racer

Chris, thanks! Ordered the last one in stock, my lucky day

Think there is any merit to this pink 50/50 coolant being the culprit of so many radiator failures, or is everyone convinced it's the part? Using regular Toyota red and diluting it with distilled water can't be bad for this Lexus can it?
Eric, my "guess" is, it's not the fluid and I say that because all of the reported leaks seem to be occuring in the same locations - the bottom corners.. If it were the fluid I would expect to see more random locations.

As for the 50/50 mix, it is the red stuff already dilluted - pick your poison. If you feel like dealing with mixing it get a gallon of the red, otherwise buy it premixed.

Its a nice radiator and fit like a glove. Good luck!
Old 11-03-12, 08:51 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=2172@Radiator

Seriously?

Get the Koyo and be done.
Old 11-03-12, 02:38 PM
rtrdriver
Driver School Candidate

Very good info for me and my 2006 with 40000 miles. I'll keep the Koyo in mind. But where can I order one?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-12, 02:41 PM
rtrdriver
Driver School Candidate

Never mind. Just saw the link. Thanks.
Old 11-03-12, 06:48 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by rtrdriver
Very good info for me and my 2006 with 40000 miles. I'll keep the Koyo in mind. But where can I order one?

Thanks.
Here, it's $227 w/free shipping.. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200.../radiator.html
Old 11-03-12, 07:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware Parts Geek has really confusing part info. I ordered four struts and two did not fit. They are also in NJ and unreachable due to the storm disaster and what ever other reasons as even submitting an online ticket has produced no response.

Prices are good though. I wish I went with paying a bit more and bought the same stuff locally at this point cause the sale of my car is delayed until this is dealt with. So just a warning about the linked company.
Old 11-03-12, 08:17 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by infinirx
Be aware Parts Geek has really confusing part info. I ordered four struts and two did not fit. They are also in NJ and unreachable due to the storm disaster and what ever other reasons as even submitting an online ticket has produced no response.

Prices are good though. I wish I went with paying a bit more and bought the same stuff locally at this point cause the sale of my car is delayed until this is dealt with. So just a warning about the linked company.
I had NO problems with Parts Geek. Koyrad radiator received and it was the exact same part number found on the Koyorad website. The radiator was shipped fast and packaged well - no complaints.
Old 11-03-12, 08:46 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had NO problems with Parts Geek. Koyrad radiator received and it was the exact same part number found on the Koyorad website. The radiator was shipped fast and packaged well - no complaints.
That does not mean what I am saying is wrong. I ordered 4 struts not one radiator with only four on the page, mine had maybe 30+. Even there part numbers are wrong on the photos and did not even show on the box like it did on the site or even the invoice. I am stuck with stuff I can't use. However I will give them the benefit of the doubt about the storm where contacting them in concerned. It's a mad house out there.

I am sure there are more good experiences than bad or they would be known for it.
Old 11-11-12, 08:58 AM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Koyorad took three days to arrive from Partsgeek, got it installed this weekend and all seems to be well!

I did let my mechanic put the pink 50/50 back into the coolant system, but I did contemplate just using the old Toyota red coolant.

I do not think the pink 50/50 is just pre-mixed Toyota red coolant, the pink 50/50 clearly states on the front of it that you are NOT supposed to add distilled water to it, whereas the Toyota red you can add coolant/water as desired and not have to sweat the exact concentration.

Last edited by EricGreen; 11-11-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-11-12, 02:01 PM
cssnms
Racer

Glad to hear it worked out!. The Koyorad radiator seems to be a quality unit and a great replacement for the OEM unit. Frankly I am a little disappointed in the durability of the OEM unit.
Old 11-11-12, 02:08 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its $533 from Sewell.

Quick Reply: Leaky radiator...$800 from the dealer?