GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 07:09 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GX470 alternator replacement

Does anyone knows how to replace the alternator? I was able to get the bolt and the two nuts out, but the pulley fron power steering is in the way....shoud I take the power steering out also?
Any pictures would be great help!
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 10-23-12, 11:44 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

First Drain the Engine Coolant,

Disconnect the Negative Terminal

Remove the V Bank cover Assy and the Two nuts.

Remove the Engine Air Filter Assy

Disconnect the Fuel Hose Lines ( two are here ) ensure you have rags to prevent from Fuel spilling in the Engine Bay. (Remove the Fuel Cap Cover to remove pressure build up on Fuel Lines). Disconnection of Fuel line is huge process, Precaution to be taken

Disconnect the Water Temp Sensor.

Remove the Three bolts and separate the Engine Wire Harness.( Disconnect the 8 Fuel Injector Cleaners and Disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor)

Remove the Water By pass hose ( To remove that remove the Engine Wire and remove the Nut and Water by pass pipe assy)

Remove the Intake Manifold Assy, the 6 bolts and 4 nuts and the 2 gaskets.
Now remove the By-pass water joint RR side, Remove the 4 nuts and the 2 gaskets.

Now you can remove the Starter Assy. There are two bolts on the side where you minimal access for working space for the tooling, but that is the only way to remove the bolts . Ensure first you disconnect the starter connector and go for the bolts removal. Installation is the reverse way of the process above. Except the coolant part would be a refill. And the new O Rings for the Water Pipe assy ( Soapy water would be best bet for this one to fit in ) . And New Gaskets for the Intake Manifold Assy. I am not going give the torque specs, as you would know the best fit to the bolts, let me know if you have trouble for the torque specs.

Hope this helps
Old 10-23-12, 11:55 AM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot, not sure that I want to do this anymore....so many parts to take off. Almost thinking to take it to the dealership. Can I get by with not draining the coolant? How about if I get it from underneath the car? Do I still need to take apart everything? I got the alternator loose, is just that power steering pulley that holds me back.
Old 10-23-12, 08:18 PM
schan1w
Driver

Originally Posted by mristea
Thanks a lot, not sure that I want to do this anymore....so many parts to take off. Almost thinking to take it to the dealership. Can I get by with not draining the coolant? How about if I get it from underneath the car? Do I still need to take apart everything? I got the alternator loose, is just that power steering pulley that holds me back.
I just did this last month. You definitely do NOT need to drain the coolant. The only things I removed were: skid plate, v-belt, and power steering pulley. The bolt on the PS pulley is listed as a non-reusable part, but I reused it anyways. You also need to remove the front plastic shroud, v-bank cover, and passenger side plastic shroud.

Once you get the power steering pulley off, the alternator can be removed. But it is a PAIN PAIN PAIN to get the alternator out the bottom of the truck. Took literally forever, I tried for a few hours over the course of several days and cursed a lot. But eventually in some contorted way, got it out. Getting the new one in was easier once I figured that the right side of the cross member allowed the easiest access to get it out and in from underneath.
Old 10-24-12, 09:46 AM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help, seems like I still should be able to pull this off after all....
Old 10-24-12, 09:58 AM
schan1w
Driver

There are a few good threads on IH8MUD on 2UZ-FE alternator replacement procedure. These helped a lot. Check this one out and search for others:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...placement.html
Old 10-24-12, 10:03 AM
schan1w
Driver

Oh, you will need something to hold the pulley to keep it from moving while unbolting it. I saw in another thread you asked about removing the PS pump. I think you can do that also, I tried, but couldn't pull the PS pump out of its mounting bolt so decided to remove the pulley instead of removing the whole pump. You will need to torque everything back to spec though, I hope you have the specs.

The factor manual says to remove the fan clutch and fan shroud, but this was not necessary if removing the alternator from the bottom of the truck. Removing the bolts holding a few of the hoses made it easier to get the alternator out.
Old 10-24-12, 02:18 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate your help! The thread for the pulley PS is reversed? Thanks anyway!
Old 10-24-12, 02:26 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Also how did you hold the pulley so you can unscrew the nut?
Old 10-24-12, 02:36 PM
schan1w
Driver

You need a pulley holder or something to jam into the holes in the pulley to keep it from moving. No, the bolt is NOT reversed, it is a normal right handed bolt (righty tighty, lefty loosey).
Old 10-24-12, 02:51 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Again, thanks a lot. I am at the step where it is loose, and I am trying to remove it at the bottom....not easy task either!
Old 10-24-12, 05:02 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all great advices! I got the job done, and I am HAPPY!
Old 10-24-12, 07:18 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sway Bar

On an 05 KDSS version I had to drop the huge sway bar to facilitate access from below. This may not be required with the standard suspension and smaller sway bar. But it may make the job easier. BTW, I did not need to remove the P.S. pulley on my 05.
Old 11-08-12, 06:02 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

If anyone out there is still looking at this post, after replacing the alternator and getting everything back together, I go a squeal from what I think is the P/S pulley...any thoughts?
Old 11-09-12, 04:09 PM
mristea
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schan1w
Oh, you will need something to hold the pulley to keep it from moving while unbolting it. I saw in another thread you asked about removing the PS pump. I think you can do that also, I tried, but couldn't pull the PS pump out of its mounting bolt so decided to remove the pulley instead of removing the whole pump. You will need to torque everything back to spec though, I hope you have the specs.

The factor manual says to remove the fan clutch and fan shroud, but this was not necessary if removing the alternator from the bottom of the truck. Removing the bolts holding a few of the hoses made it easier to get the alternator out.
Can you please provide the recommended torque for the PS pulley nut?
Thanks,
Michael

Quick Reply: 2006 GX470 alternator replacement