GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Snow tires vs All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 01:26 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Snow tires vs All-Season Tires

Just wondering what your opinions are for those of you who live/drive in snowy climates as I do.

I just got new Toyo A/T's for my Tundra and I'm sure they'll be fine for winter (as the old set last year did just fine for me) along with the four-wheel drive.

My question is that my wifes' GX is at the point where the All-Season Goodyear Fortera Tripletread's are to the point where they wouldn't be safe for driving during the winter, but would be fine for another Spring/Summer/Fall season if I kept them.

So should I a)Get a dedicated set of either Snow tires w/out studs, b)get a dedicated set of snow tires w/ studs, c)Just get a new set of All-Season tires or d)None of the above?

I'm really torn this year, especially since I can get any of the above at no cost to me (Father-in-law offered) to either bring out a set of studded tires that he has for his 05 Tundra (and won't be using this year) or pay for a new set of All-Season or winter tires. My choice...what to do..?
Old 10-12-12, 05:04 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with road conditions and driving needs. What part of Washington are you driving in, and how often will there be snow?

I live in Utah where we can have snow mid November to mid March, but we have very good snow removal equipment here so the interstates and main roads are usually pretty good. I still put snow tires on all the cars (they cost a lot less than even a single accident can cost, not to mention lower risk of someone being hurt) for the improved steering and stopping. I also encourage the family to do only 'mission essential' driving until road conditions begin to improve. Studded snow tires would be overkill almost all the time here, and a nuisance when the roads are dry which is most of the winter.

On the other hand if you have to be able to 'go' regardless of road conditions either because of jobs or to go skiing, etc where you head out on really snowy/icy roads many times a season, studded or 'studless' winter tires make a lot of sense. My son has a job where he has to drive regardless of weather and he's often on the roads before the plows are out clearing, so I keep really good stud less winter tires on his car.

If you seldom get snow and can wait for roads to get better then good all season tires may be just fine. I suffered a neck injury a few years back and now I just refuse to drive on snow - a relatively minor wreck could leave me paralyzed. I still have winter tires on my truck but they favor mostly clear roads. Winter roads are cold even when free of snow and so there's reduced traction, but I don't need aggressive treads and studs to deal with deep snow and ice.

Bottom line = depends mostly on the road conditions, & driving habits and it isn't a bad idea to get a little more tire than you anticipate, I don't hear many people complain about too much traction in the winter. But if you get too much more tire than you need, like stud less snow tires and your roads are clear most all of the time, you'll just pay more and have them wear out sooner.

If you call the big online tire dealers the good sales reps will ask you the same kinds of 'what're your roads like most of the time' questions and give you (usually) good advice on winter tire selections that match your driving needs. You still have time to call several times over a week & talk to different reps, and see if you get consistent advice. I can tell you some winter tire brands I've used that we had really good results with - PM me if you'd like that input.

Sorry for the long post - there's a lot of factors to trade off.

Hope this helps - have fun shopping!
Old 10-15-12, 05:49 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to be safe, so in winter my wife and kid rides on snow tires.