GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at possibly getting a GX, advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 11:15 AM
SpeedFour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at possibly getting a GX, advice appreciated!

So, after spending way too much time showing my wife a mountain of fantastic saloons (Jag XJ8, Merc S, Lexus LS) she has come to the conclusion that she wants another ute to replace her Land Rover Discovery.

Frustratingly there just aren't a good selection of real SUVs left anymore (and I need not want to mess with a new model Landie), however a cursory glance at the GX shows that it might fit the bill; so I wanted to ask you folks a few questions:

-I've heard these use a TorSEN center diff (good news to me!) however what about the front and rear? Is the 4x4 system mostly mechanical or are there electrically actuated clutches hidden within?

-This is the engine from the LX/Land Cruiser right? Not the LS models? If so, what issues are known for these engines? What sort of big ticket maintenance items lurk within (T-belt or chain)? Additionally, how about the transmission?

-Are there some years better than others? Or, in other words, is it better to look for low miles over newer model year?

-Are there some 'must have' options? Is the navigation system worth putting in the 'must have' checklist?

-I find it funny that there is only one sticky in this forum (I've only owned European cars ) but is the 'clunk' the biggest issue? What else should I look for when kicking tires?

[edit]-One more question, what sort of suspension do these have? Do they all have air springs, but only in the rear?[/edit]

Many many thanks in advance!

Last edited by SpeedFour; 10-09-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 01:46 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05'and up has more hp. Airbags in rear. Buy mine. Lol
Old 10-09-12, 03:11 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

'07 and up has Gen 5 NAV system which works well--almost as good as a Garmin.

Look for a newer model ('08 or '09) with lowest miles. Some folks report finding them with less than 40K miles.

Also look for the KDSS suspension (lights up on dash when key is on and engine not started) as this optional suspension is apparently (We don't have it) much superior to the standard air bag suspension--although we think our GX rides and handles fine. However, KDSS is a very rare & hard-to-find option--dealers know squat about it--do a search on this forum for more info.

No, the GX V8 is the same as the V8 in the 4Runner--very reliable with minimal problems. Same with the tranny.

IMHO, the GX 470 (NOT the GX460) are exceptional vehicles with very few reported problems. Lexus will replace the driveshaft for free under the drivetrain warranty if that warranty is still in effect. That fixes the "clunk" you read about.

Find a good one & enjoy!

Last edited by RickC5; 10-10-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 05:44 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5

Also look for the EDSS suspension

Whats EDSS?
Old 10-10-12, 06:44 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Whats EDSS?
Oops. Sorry. My bad. I should have said KDSS.

Can't trust the memory like I used to. Thanks for the help. Previous post edited.

BTW- KDSS is the acronym for Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (quite a mouthfull) and apparently is a substantial improvement over the standard electronic suspension on the GX.

Last edited by RickC5; 10-10-12 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 08:13 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No problem> I though maybe there was some rare EDSS. Shows you what I know.
Old 10-10-12, 11:44 AM
SpeedFour
Rookie

What is the 'standard electronic suspension'?
Old 10-10-12, 01:19 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjustable dampening shocks. Kdss is overrated. It hydraulically disconnects the sway bar links to flex the suspension while rock crawling. Wanna buy my 06 gx with 90k miles?
Old 10-10-12, 01:25 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFour
What is the 'standard electronic suspension'?
Adjustable front and rear shocks (Comfort < - > Sport settings) + rear air springs for auto height control (L, N, H)
Old 10-10-12, 01:38 PM
SpeedFour
Rookie

OK, so what is the reliability (cost of replacement) for these front shocks? I do see arnott has a coil conversion for the rear air springs.

Not sure what to buy yet, wifey has yet to look at one in person, and she has been finicky lately, had her heart set on a Q7 till I told her there was no way I'd own a direct injected petrol engine
Old 10-10-12, 01:54 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so what is the reliability (cost of replacement) for these front shocks? I do see arnott has a coil conversion for the rear air springs.

Not sure what to buy yet, wifey has yet to look at one in person, and she has been finicky lately, had her heart set on a Q7 till I told her there was no way I'd own a direct injected petrol engine
My front shocks were replaced couple of years ago with OEM Lexus/Toyota parts and i see on the receipt that each shock was $268. Labor was extra, but if you are a DIY guy, it does not look too complicated.
Rear shocks seem to be around $300 each for OEM at various online Lexus/Toyota part dealers or Ebay.

Are you talking about a new or a used Q7? If used, i would be very nervous about long term reliability and support from the dealer. They are great SUVs when new and under warranty, but as they age, things can get very $$$. I love the TDI engine in these trucks. I hate the over engineered little components that like to fail all the time.
Old 10-10-12, 03:51 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So, after spending way too much time showing my wife a mountain of fantastic saloons (Jag XJ8, Merc S, Lexus LS) she has come to the conclusion that she wants another ute to replace her Land Rover Discovery.

Frustratingly there just aren't a good selection of real SUVs left anymore (and I need not want to mess with a new model Landie), however a cursory glance at the GX shows that it might fit the bill; so I wanted to ask you folks a few questions:

-I've heard these use a TorSEN center diff (good news to me!) however what about the front and rear? Is the 4x4 system mostly mechanical or are there electrically actuated clutches hidden within?

-This is the engine from the LX/Land Cruiser right? Not the LS models? If so, what issues are known for these engines? What sort of big ticket maintenance items lurk within (T-belt or chain)? Additionally, how about the transmission?

-Are there some years better than others? Or, in other words, is it better to look for low miles over newer model year?

-Are there some 'must have' options? Is the navigation system worth putting in the 'must have' checklist?

-I find it funny that there is only one sticky in this forum (I've only owned European cars ) but is the 'clunk' the biggest issue? What else should I look for when kicking tires?

[edit]-One more question, what sort of suspension do these have? Do they all have air springs, but only in the rear?[/edit]

Many many thanks in advance!
We're talking here about Lexus, which has proven Toyota quality and reliability. All GXs are manufactured in Japan. As long as you change oil and do basic maintenance, it will last forever.

European or US-made SUVs are totally different story...
Old 10-10-12, 05:21 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Adjustable dampening shocks. Kdss is overrated. It hydraulically disconnects the sway bar links to flex the suspension while rock crawling. Wanna buy my 06 gx with 90k miles?
Completely agree on KDSS.

There is a heated debate thread about the virtues of KDSS and how it relates to your every day driving. In my humble opinion, the benefits of KDSS do NOT justify the premium you would have to pay. But I don't want to start a KDSS debate in this thread...

SpeedFour, the GX does have a Torsen. The shifter 4H x 4L is manually controlled with electronic lock. The system is very reliable. I cycle mine On and Off every couple of months (to hopefully keep the actuator from freezing up).

The engine provides great performance and is very smooth across the entire power band (Lexus smooth). You will have to replace timing belt at 90K miles. In 2005 GX received and updated engine and transmission. Transmission uses "lifetime" fluid. Again, there were numerous threads on the true definition of "lifetime"...

With that info in mind look for 2005 or newer. Mileage depends on your wallet and your comfort level with higher miles, but the truth is GX is VERY well built and will last a VERY long time. (My wife says she will run hers into the ground).

Navigation is a personal preference, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere and buy a Garmin for $200 that I can use in ANY car. I just went to Tuscany for 2 weeks and used my Garmin in the rental car - it worked perfectly and saved me 10 Euro/day (Garmin paid for itself in just 1 trip).

As others mentioned before, its a LEXUS, engineered and built by Toyota in JAPAN. An argument can be made that Toyota suffered many quality issues and recalls in the recent years. However, a vast majority of recalled vehicles where either manufactured here in US or where using the components that were manufactured in US and Canada. So, something tells me that the problem is not with the design, but rather with manufacturing...

IMHO, GX is one of the best SUVs out on the road today and it offers a great value for your $$$. It is also one of very few true body-on-frame trucks still in production.
Old 10-10-12, 07:27 PM
SpeedFour
Rookie

Originally Posted by danmm7
My front shocks were replaced couple of years ago with OEM Lexus/Toyota parts and i see on the receipt that each shock was $268. Labor was extra, but if you are a DIY guy, it does not look too complicated.
Rear shocks seem to be around $300 each for OEM at various online Lexus/Toyota part dealers or Ebay.
So is it the dampers that are electrically 'charged' in order to change ride firmness?

Originally Posted by danmm7
Are you talking about a new or a used Q7? If used, i would be very nervous about long term reliability and support from the dealer. They are great SUVs when new and under warranty, but as they age, things can get very $$$. I love the TDI engine in these trucks. I hate the over engineered little components that like to fail all the time.
Yeah, my old V8 went over 300k miles before I retired it, I have no faith in the new ones for such long term durability.

Originally Posted by snhrph
I cycle mine On and Off every couple of months (to hopefully keep the actuator from freezing up).
Good practice, the same issue can happen on my Land Rover.

Transmission uses "lifetime" fluid. Again, there were numerous threads on the true definition of "lifetime"...
Yeah, the ZF unit in my car is the same way, I had it changed at 60k and will do so again at 120

Navigation is a personal preference,
I was more concerned with the radio, isn't the navi the only way to get the upgraded sound system (is it really worth it)?

It is also one of very few true body-on-frame trucks still in production.
Yeah, and that is really one of the reasons it truly interests me.
Old 10-15-12, 04:29 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The shifter 4H x 4L is manually controlled with electronic lock. The system is very reliable. I cycle mine On and Off every couple of months (to hopefully keep the actuator from freezing up).
How do you do that?

Quick Reply: Looking at possibly getting a GX, advice appreciated!