GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 08:58 AM
Fillmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX 470 Ignition Problem

Have a 2007 GX 470 with 70,000 Miles. Recently we have had problems with the ignition getting stuck. Key will go in, but, will not turn. Happens randomly and unpredictably. Will start after a period of time. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes several hours. My not happen for a few weeks or sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. I have seen other threads on this, but, no definate answers. Wife is very frustrated. Anyone have a similar experiance? Neither Lexus or Toyota claims to have heard of this problem. We can never replicate for the dealership. Hate to start replacing things without a better understanding of what is happening.
The following users liked this post:
Yotayota (12-09-19)
Old 09-29-12, 06:28 PM
isp5190
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When this happens are the front tires stright or turned. If the tires are turned it sounds like the steering lock may be binding. When this happens try turning the steering wheel in either direction while turning the key and see if the key will turn.
Old 09-30-12, 08:28 AM
Fillmo
Driver School Candidate

Have actually tried turning the wheels. Making sure they are straight and not against a curb when parked.
Old 09-30-12, 02:26 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

it's the ignition cylinder. easy fix if it doesn't get permanently stuck. you have to be able to get it to acc position to get the cylinder out. you will want to get a new cylinder and have a locksmith rekey it to your key so you don't
need to replace all of your other locks.

common problem for GX. take care of it before it gets worse and you need it towed. and if it gets to the point where you can't get it to ACC at all, it will be much more expensive.
Old 09-30-12, 05:21 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
common problem for GX.
Really? First time hearing about this. Is there a tsib?
Old 09-30-12, 06:21 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

not that i know of. When i say common, it's common to people who do a lot of diagnostic work. Also, they're usually higher mileage vehicles. TSB's usually are made for cars under warranty with "defect" type problems.
Don't remember ever witnessing this issue with vehicles still in warranty. RX 330/350 also have this issue. LX470's will actually break the mechanism inside. just FYI.

And you can sometimes band-aid fix it by removing it and dunking the lock cylinder in some kind of penetrating oil and moving key in and out while dunked. but i would recommend simple replacement.
Old 10-01-12, 06:27 AM
Fillmo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the replies. This is extremely helpful. As I said, I have seen the problem discussed in lots of threads, but, have never seen a definative answer. Wasn't sure if there was some sort of electronic anti-theft sensor that could be causing the problem. Hate to start out with the shotgun method of replacing everything with no clear direction. I feel good about proceeding with cylinder replacement.
Old 10-01-12, 09:18 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillmo
Thanks so much for the replies. This is extremely helpful. As I said, I have seen the problem discussed in lots of threads, but, have never seen a definative answer. Wasn't sure if there was some sort of electronic anti-theft sensor that could be causing the problem. Hate to start out with the shotgun method of replacing everything with no clear direction. I feel good about proceeding with cylinder replacement.
If you're in a bind, I'd give graphite spray a shot (no pun intended). Worked for me. On first application it froze the cylinder, but a few more shots worked things loose. This was about 6mos ago.

Now, as predicted by some, the problem has slowly started to resurface. I'm going to grab some white lithium grease and see if that will help out.

If anyone has the dealer do the cylinder replacement, please report back. I'd like to fix this the right way eventually, but don't want to go through the hassle of finding a qualified locksmith.
Old 10-01-12, 04:14 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stiles_s
If you're in a bind, I'd give graphite spray a shot (no pun intended). Worked for me. On first application it froze the cylinder, but a few more shots worked things loose. This was about 6mos ago.

Now, as predicted by some, the problem has slowly started to resurface. I'm going to grab some white lithium grease and see if that will help out.

If anyone has the dealer do the cylinder replacement, please report back. I'd like to fix this the right way eventually, but don't want to go through the hassle of finding a qualified locksmith.
your dealer should have a locksmith come out and rekey the new cylinder. that's how it's normally done anyways.
Old 10-05-12, 02:34 PM
dandg
Driver

Mine has done it twice a couple months ago, once a gas station and I thought it might have been a bad key so now I have both when I travel.It has not done it in since. Pleased to hear I was not the only one to have it happen. I am still under warranty so they will have to come get it (I hope)if it happens again but I wonder if there is a TSB somewhere on it?Is there any way to reproduce it so you could prove it to the dealer?

I just googled "Lexus GX ignition lock" and it it not that uncommon.Lots of spray lube/graphite suggestions.

Last edited by dandg; 10-05-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 08:36 PM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem a year ago. I was able to get my truck to the dealer and they fixed it for me. New lock cylinder, keyed to match the existing set. I was surprised they only charged me $400. My truck is an '05 and it had 50000 miles at the time. The dealer also mentioned that it was very unusual. Tapping on the key would temporarily fix the problem as it seemed that some of the lock tumblers were sticking.
Old 10-13-12, 05:14 PM
Corgitoy
Driver School Candidate

I sympathize.
My 2007 GX which I bought only 3 weeks ago is sitting in the shopping center parking lot right now because I can't get the key to turn at all. It won't even turn to "accessories". I tried all the suggestions : wiggling key, turning steering wheel, pressing on brake, spraying graphite, making sure it's in park, but nothing works.
When I take the key out a small red light in the shape of a key flashes continuously.
The dealership is all locked up until Sunday so it will have to sit there for 2 nights. The GX only has about 30,000 miles or 45,000 km on it. After reading this forum it sounds like it could be the key cylinder.
What a pain, but I guess it could have been worse if I'd been stranded in some isolated area in bitterly cold weather.
Old 10-13-12, 05:19 PM
Corgitoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bpaine2
I had the same problem a year ago. I was able to get my truck to the dealer and they fixed it for me. New lock cylinder, keyed to match the existing set. I was surprised they only charged me $400. My truck is an '05 and it had 50000 miles at the time. The dealer also mentioned that it was very unusual. Tapping on the key would temporarily fix the problem as it seemed that some of the lock tumblers were sticking.
Was your key able to turn at all or was it stuck solid?
I read that it's easier/less costly to replace the key cylinder if you can at least turn the key to "accessories". Mine is stuck solid unfortunately.
Old 10-15-12, 09:07 AM
bpaine2
Driver School Candidate

It has been a while, but I don't think i was able to turn the key at all. It felt like the steering wheel was locked, but it wasn't. Each time I was able to get the key to work by gently tapping on the key with something hard - like a screwdriver handle (it took about 10 to 20 taps). I think that the vibrations from the tapping help the lock tumblers release and engage the key. After the lock got stuck the third time, I decided it wasn't worth messing with anymore and took it in to the dealer. Any mechanic should be able to do the work, but for me it was easier to take it to the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-12, 08:13 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by Corgitoy
I sympathize.
My 2007 GX which I bought only 3 weeks ago is sitting in the shopping center parking lot right now because I can't get the key to turn at all. It won't even turn to "accessories". I tried all the suggestions : wiggling key, turning steering wheel, pressing on brake, spraying graphite, making sure it's in park, but nothing works.
When I take the key out a small red light in the shape of a key flashes continuously.
The dealership is all locked up until Sunday so it will have to sit there for 2 nights. The GX only has about 30,000 miles or 45,000 km on it. After reading this forum it sounds like it could be the key cylinder.
What a pain, but I guess it could have been worse if I'd been stranded in some isolated area in bitterly cold weather.
What did the dealer do and did they cover it(and the tow?) Like your mine is older (08) and low miles,I wonder of its binds up because they sat/sit so long and are not used ? Just a guess

Quick Reply: GX 470 Ignition Problem