Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Changing WS ATF Filter & Oil

Old 09-10-12, 02:05 PM   #1
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default Changing WS ATF Filter & Oil

so, being very unpopular to do this, i went ahead and did it. no oil is a "lifetime" oil, and for me i had other reasons to do this, plus, wanted to see what crap was on the magnets and in the filter.

so, to do this at home you need to be a tad creative. i was gonna TIG in a fill port but decided against that because this pan is done very nicely with a powder coat. that said, i needed a way to pump new oil back in, and this is how i did it.

inside pan with 1 new stronger magnet. when i 1st dropped the pan the magnets had some coverage, but seemed normal, nothing crazy attached, etc. the filter had some flakes of brass/bronze on the screen. seems like this 84k mile tranny is doing ok.
Click the image to open in full size.

after draining and dropping the pan w/ filter removed. i drained just under 5qts. the old oil was very dark, like dark used motor oil. it had a purple hue instead of brown like motor oil.

homemade oil feed and pump setup. i used the box the oil came in, cut hole in top, then used a 3/8" steel rod to hold the bottle from falling in, the rod slips through the jug handle to the other side, etc.

pump handle inside box connected directly to the bottle. ok, this pump leaked just a tad, no biggy. since the tubing into the pan had a significant reduction in size you have to pump slowly. be sure to add a small air hole in the bottle. i did a small hole on the side because i needed to refill this bottle again, so i just taped the hole, added oil, turned back upside down, removed tape or just pop another hole, finish pumping. when the bottle is empty keep pumping to get all the fluid into the pan, etc.

hose connected to the overfill port, 5/16" OD hose with 1 wrap of electrical tape to fit snug. once all 5qts went back i remove the hose from the port expecting some oil to come out, and i was right. i compensated for install losses, i captured just a tad under 5qts draining the old crud, and i pumped back 5qts minus the little losses i had.

$7 junky hand pump from harborfreight, and a bottle topper from walmart. the yellow topper nipper fits into the hand pump inlet like a glove

the oil was from lexus dealer at $9/qt. pump was $7. filter/gasket kit was $29 from Oreilly's (power torque brand, very nice rubber gasket). i had to buy some brass fittings to make the hose reduction, that was $10 at lowes, but you can do that other ways for much less.

you can do this at home, but you must have a torque wrench and a method to capture all the drained oil (so you know exactly how much came out), and a way to pump new oil back in.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 09-10-12 at 02:20 PM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 03:49 PM   #2
BlairC
Pole Position

anyone know the overall capacity of these transmissions including the torque convertor?
BlairC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 06:01 PM   #3
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairC View Post
anyone know the overall capacity of these transmissions including the torque convertor?
interesting Q. i see some posts that say 15qts, and sites like autozone that say "5.6qts total refill". i am leaning more towards 15qts because the core of the trans is large + coverter + oil cooler.

and i may be wrong, but my gx470 seems to shift smoother now.
Old 09-10-12, 07:12 PM   #4
ALAN553
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Kid View Post
interesting Q. i see some posts that say 15qts, and sites like autozone that say "5.6qts total refill". i am leaning more towards 15qts because the core of the trans is large + coverter + oil cooler.

and i may be wrong, but my gx470 seems to shift smoother now.
I think it is around 12 or 13 on a service drain and refil...a rebuild might be more.
ALAN553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 03:54 PM   #5
robertlano
Driver School Candidate

Okay I'm real old schooler so don't judge me on this but how come one can't just add trans fluid into the dipstick tube? Come to think....is there a dipstick?
I just bought a 2007 GX470 with 100 k miles and I'm a DIYer.
Bob
robertlano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 04:56 PM   #6
BFX
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlano View Post
Okay I'm real old schooler so don't judge me on this but how come one can't just add trans fluid into the dipstick tube? Come to think....is there a dipstick?
I just bought a 2007 GX470 with 100 k miles and I'm a DIYer.
Bob
There is no dipstick on GX470 for transmission fluid, do a little search on this forum, there should be enough info you can reference.
BFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 06:33 PM   #7
burny
Lexus Test Driver

I thought an infra red gun was needed and you had to top off the fluid once the temp reached 113 degrees?
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 11:16 PM   #8
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

This is a link to Toyota Tacoma forum, the drain and fill of AFT works exactly same for my 04 GX470, I drained and filled my GX 10k miles ago , all went well, I spent under $40 DIY, local dealer did for me for $160 before.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
SIERRAGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:22 PM   #9
Taco_Kid
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIERRAGX View Post
This is a link to Toyota Tacoma forum, the drain and fill of AFT works exactly same for my 04 GX470, I drained and filled my GX 10k miles ago , all went well, I spent under $40 DIY, local dealer did for me for $160 before.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
an old thread i am replying to, but the tacomaworld link is missing fact that even after 3qts drain out there's still another 2qts in the pan. also, i havent found reason why fluid must be hot other than not having to measure. if you take out 5qts cold fluid and put back 5qts cold fluid, then no need to muck around with shorting ODBII pins or doing odd shifter moves. and to note, theres a ton more fluid in the system. if you do this as DIY then might as well drop the pan to get out that extra oil and install a new trans filter.

and oddly, the WS fluid is supposed to be lifetime fluid, so why does that tacomworld write-up say its a 60k mile service?
Old 08-05-14, 08:22 PM