GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pitted/Corroded wheel refinishing question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 10:15 AM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitted/Corroded wheel refinishing question?

My wife got dinged from behind and is taking 07 GX in tomorrow for what I can only assume will be a new bumper even though it was a light tap.

My question is....would a body shop/collision place be a good place to have wheels refinished? Ours are HORRIBLE and I can't look at them anymore. I have read all the threads about the rims and though we are certified for another year, and have a wonderful dealer, I don't even want to bother with begging them.

Is a body place a good bet or am I way off? We are about 10k miles away from needing new tires so maybe I will just get new rims then as well? Is there a short term fix?? Hell, even spray paint would look better than the way they are now....

Thank you for any insight.

Joe

07 gx, 62K miles. (Cleveland, Ohio....very salty winters)

it does seem that some folks have had success w/CPO replacement. Maybe I'll wait for next oil change and ask:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ims-fixed.html
Old 09-04-12, 10:25 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Id get new wheels if youre looking to buy wheels eventually.

But yes a body shop can do them but more than likely they will outsource it to a wheel shop. Google wheel refinishing shops in your area.
Old 09-04-12, 11:32 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider getting some take-off GX460 wheels if you don't refinish yours. Moving from our 17ers to these 18ers look sharp (someone posted a 1st gen GX with 2nd gen wheels awhile back). I'd like to do the same thing when I need tires again in a couple of years then black chrome them (not sure that's the right description, but you get the drift). See eBay for examples.
Old 09-17-12, 05:16 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer is refinishing mine in a couple of weeks, I tried to get new ones out of them but no luck. Took me a year to to get to this point but at least they are doing something. 08 cpo.

Last edited by kalcris; 09-17-12 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:45 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kalcris, PM Sent! thanks
Old 12-20-12, 03:50 PM
rtrdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Hated my wheels but love the new chrome.

Originally Posted by JAH29
My wife got dinged from behind and is taking 07 GX in tomorrow for what I can only assume will be a new bumper even though it was a light tap.

My question is....would a body shop/collision place be a good place to have wheels refinished? Ours are HORRIBLE and I can't look at them anymore. I have read all the threads about the rims and though we are certified for another year, and have a wonderful dealer, I don't even want to bother with begging them.

Is a body place a good bet or am I way off? We are about 10k miles away from needing new tires so maybe I will just get new rims then as well? Is there a short term fix?? Hell, even spray paint would look better than the way they are now....

Thank you for any insight.

Joe

07 gx, 62K miles. (Cleveland, Ohio....very salty winters)

it does seem that some folks have had success w/CPO replacement. Maybe I'll wait for next oil change and ask:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ims-fixed.html
Hi Joe,

Just getting around to your post so this may not be relative any more but my wheels where very pitted also. I went online to search new OEM wheels and just happened to see some chrome OEM wheels on ebay advertised by a independent chrome shop in Cal. They looked great in the pictures and with exchange they were about $215 a piece. I am really pleased with the purchase and they look great on my GX. If you happen to need tires also, that would be a good time to get them mounted as I did and I also replaced all my tire pressure sensors as well. I did that because I had an issue with the sensor light on the dash so it was a no brainer. Also I've heard that the average life span of the sensors is 6 years. Hope this helps. Good luck! Just another note. Chrome is a PITA to keep up so if your looking to refinish instead, just look for a local wheel refinishing place. I had one close by that charged $135 for sand blasting then new silver powder-coat.

Last edited by rtrdriver; 12-20-12 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 05:39 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rtrdriver
Hi Joe,

Just getting around to your post so this may not be relative any more but my wheels where very pitted also. I went online to search new OEM wheels and just happened to see some chrome OEM wheels on ebay advertised by a independent chrome shop in Cal. They looked great in the pictures and with exchange they were about $215 a piece. I am really pleased with the purchase and they look great on my GX. If you happen to need tires also, that would be a good time to get them mounted as I did and I also replaced all my tire pressure sensors as well. I did that because I had an issue with the sensor light on the dash so it was a no brainer. Also I've heard that the average life span of the sensors is 6 years. Hope this helps. Good luck! Just another note. Chrome is a PITA to keep up so if your looking to refinish instead, just look for a local wheel refinishing place. I had one close by that charged $135 for sand blasting then new silver powder-coat.
I agree, I had a wheel Co. Locally refinish my wheels and they only lasted a year. I eventually bought a set of OE Sequoia chrome wheels and changed out the logo to Lexus. I paid $440 delivered from EBay. They were used in great condition, they have some pitting now but still better than the GX ones I removed. Good luck and check EBay and Craigslist for good deals.