GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to GX 470 Fourm

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:10 PM
biggiefat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to GX 470 Fourm

Hello all, my name is Martin and I am new to this forum and the wonderful world of Lexus. I recently purchased a used 2008 GX 470. While surfing the web for reviews and news about the FWD SUV, I came upon this site. In just the few weeks of reading the posts in the GX first generation forum, I'm very happy to learn that it is such an informative site where technicians, knowledgeable owners and those like my self, newbies to the brand, can find assistance on this fine vehicle.

Again, I'm so glad to have found this site. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and expertise on everything Lexus GX 470.

Martin
2008 GX 470
Old 08-29-12, 03:26 PM
Vims
Rookie

Welcome to the Club!! Hope you are enjoying you truck as all others here :-)
Old 08-29-12, 03:52 PM
biggiefat
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Vims. Yes, I am enjoying the vehicle more each time I drive it. As a new owner, I'm still trying to learn the navigation system. The GX 470 is a masterful mixture of engineering, form, function and luxury. It is hard to find another SUV that tops it.

Martin
Old 08-29-12, 04:26 PM
ourlee
Driver School Candidate

i need some info... mileage and purchase price, i drove two 08s today, def. interested.
Old 08-30-12, 01:49 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to GX Forum, and we do have fantastic members to share on a cross platform of ideas and tech inputs on your GX.
Old 08-30-12, 04:30 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I have an 08 with about 68,000 miles, bought in Dec of 2010, Titanium Silver. Thanks to the forum, I had my clunk fixed (driveshaft) and pitted wheels, and a few other items fixed, before I took delivery of the vehicle. Not the high tech vehicles sold today, but a rock solid truck, not SUV. My first non American car, even though I have had about 40 cars/ trucks. I like the reliability of this vehicle. There are lots of members and with those numbers, some have had problems. With the new generation vibration problems in the steering wheel at high way speeds, not going to be trading for a new one. I have had mine for about 2 years and regular maintenance, is all that it needed. Some very minor clitches, but with other vehicles that I have owned these were minor to say the least.

This is a U tube video of the first test drive of an o8

Last edited by Ancient; 08-30-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-30-12, 06:27 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the vid
Old 08-30-12, 10:44 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by biggiefat
Thank you, Vims. Yes, I am enjoying the vehicle more each time I drive it. As a new owner, I'm still trying to learn the navigation system. The GX 470 is a masterful mixture of engineering, form, function and luxury. It is hard to find another SUV that tops it.

Martin
it took me a while to get used to Lexus nav system and switch mine mind from Garmin to Lexus NAV. Missing some Garmin features and adopting some new from Lexus NAV. Overall it is not bad, but still mine main navigator is my wife
Old 08-30-12, 04:26 PM
biggiefat
Driver School Candidate

That's too funny, Vims. That is my navigation helper as well (and her smartphone). Ourlee, the milage was 50K and the bottom line came out to $30K. If I may add, it is in immaculate condition. The other day while learning how to lower the spare tire, I used my crawler to get underneath the vehicle to get a better look at the lowering mechanism and I was astonished see that the under carriage had no road grime whatsoever. At 50K miles, that means that the PO only drove it 13K miles each year. Also, the rich smell of new carl eather still fills the interior cabin.

I think you can tell that I am very happy with my GX.

Thanks for asking,

Martin
Old 08-30-12, 04:38 PM
Vims
Rookie

Also, the rich smell of new carl eather still fills the interior cabin.

I think you can tell that I am very happy with my GX.

Thanks for asking,

Martin
it is almost the same as mine.... discovered two pairs of headphones in the original package unused same with tools looks brand new :-) Enjoy riding your GX :-)
Old 08-31-12, 03:12 PM
brycejaq
Driver

news about the FWD SUV, I came upon this site. 2008 GX 470
Martin,

Certainly you've figured out by now that the GX is 4WD, not FWD. I'm guessing that when you typed it that you just missed a key, since I've never seen or heard of a FWD GX.

Always nice to see a new face (name) around here...welcome!
Old 08-31-12, 05:34 PM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the brotherhood
Old 09-04-12, 10:18 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome! 06 owner here who just rolled 90K. truck is getting timing belt and all fluids this week. if you keep them up, they wont let you down.
Old 09-05-12, 08:55 AM
biggiefat
Driver School Candidate

Default 4wd

Originally Posted by brycejaq
Martin,

Certainly you've figured out by now that the GX is 4WD, not FWD. I'm guessing that when you typed it that you just missed a key, since I've never seen or heard of a FWD GX.

Always nice to see a new face (name) around here...welcome!
Thank you for making that clear, Bryce. You are correct, I meant 4WD and not FWD.

Martin
Old 09-05-12, 06:30 PM
Cbeeker
10th Gear

I am new to this group and own a 2006 GX470. Very pleased with it for the past2 years (second owner). However the navigation system seems outdated. Is it worth buying he Generation 5 upgrade or just use my separate Garmin? Appreciate other's advice on this topic.

Quick Reply: New to GX 470 Fourm