GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Car "black box" - DVR

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 09:25 AM
Vims
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car "black box" - DVR

Has anyone installed / used any of these ? DVRs
Old 08-19-12, 03:01 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but it looks interesting.
Old 08-20-12, 02:34 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

In fact now it's really sparked my interest. I am looking into some better ones than that one but you can get that one allot cheaper on ebay if you look around.
Old 08-20-12, 08:00 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinirx
In fact now it's really sparked my interest. I am looking into some better ones than that one but you can get that one allot cheaper on ebay if you look around.
This one is just an idea, i am looking at the different options as well. There are some DVRs with two cameras front and rear with simultaneous recording. I do not need DVR with screen, I think DVR with HD recording would fit my needs. It should not be bulky, want to hide it behind the rear view mirror :-).
this one looks good to me
Old 08-20-12, 08:36 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

That one looks pretty good. Unfortunate there is no "brand" that we can look up reviews on however. I did find these http://www.ebay.com/itm/251098770217...84.m1423.l2649 and think even though ALLOT more $$ are prob. a better fit as they are simple and an accountable name brand. The link you provided looks so tempting just on the price though.

PS: I also wonder if set up properly that it can be put on insurance as to lower the monthly.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-20-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 10:40 AM
Vims
Rookie

That one looks pretty good. Unfortunate there is no "brand" that we can look up reviews on however. I did find these http://www.ebay.com/itm/251098770217...84.m1423.l2649 and think even though ALLOT more $$ are prob. a better fit as they are simple and an accountable name brand. The link you provided looks so tempting just on the price though.

PS: I also wonder if set up properly that it can be put on insurance as to lower the monthly.
this one bites unfortunately can`t read Korean language to read all posters of that model, maybe someone knows that to provide pros and cons
Old 08-20-12, 10:43 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Actually there are some review and videos. Just need to do a Google search.
Old 08-22-12, 07:09 AM
MTL
Driver School Candidate

I am using another DVR. I prefer just one device, so I am using ABlackBox for my iPhone. It's cheaper and it produces HD video as well
Old 08-22-12, 11:29 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MTL
I am using another DVR. I prefer just one device, so I am using ABlackBox for my iPhone. It's cheaper and it produces HD video as well
Pretty interesting for $2. Looks really bad video wise though with no night time capabilities. can you tell us if this is the case and what other benefits it has if it's not on iTunes? Reading the feature list now.
Old 08-23-12, 01:48 AM
MTL
Driver School Candidate

Pretty interesting for $2. Looks really bad video wise though with no night time capabilities. can you tell us if this is the case and what other benefits it has if it's not on iTunes? Reading the feature list now.
Sure, iPhone cannot record night video. As I'm driving almost during the day it's not an issue.
It depends what purpose you are looking for. I need just evidence, don't want to share video on Facebook/Youtube. So, it's enough.
Why to spend $200 for something what I don't need?
Old 08-23-12, 04:37 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MTL
Sure, iPhone cannot record night video. As I'm driving almost during the day it's not an issue.
It depends what purpose you are looking for. I need just evidence, don't want to share video on Facebook/Youtube. So, it's enough.
Why to spend $200 for something what I don't need?
I am not criticizing your purchase and want to find reason to just get the app, use it on the dash. Just not sure if it's a day to day convenience cause I will be taking in off and putting it on over and over and I have cases for the phone. How do you mount the iPhone?
Old 08-23-12, 08:51 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not criticizing your purchase and want to find reason to just get the app, use it on the dash. Just not sure if it's a day to day convenience cause I will be taking in off and putting it on over and over and I have cases for the phone. How do you mount the iPhone?
Wow! This is coming from a guy who spent $80 on a trash can? Oh, sorry, "trash bin". Aren't you supposed to be saving for college? LOL
Old 08-24-12, 12:45 AM
MTL
Driver School Candidate

I'm using simple windscreen holder without power cord.
Sample picture is here: http://www.applemix.cz/710-3508-thic...zeni-cerny.jpg
But I put the iPhone in the landscape position.
Old 08-24-12, 01:29 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redrocks
Wow! This is coming from a guy who spent $80 on a trash can? Oh, sorry, "trash bin". Aren't you supposed to be saving for college? LOL
lol people will never let me forget that.
Old 09-02-12, 12:09 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vims
This one is just an idea, i am looking at the different options as well. There are some DVRs with two cameras front and rear with simultaneous recording. I do not need DVR with screen, I think DVR with HD recording would fit my needs. It should not be bulky, want to hide it behind the rear view mirror :-).
this one looks good to me
Did you ever follow through and get this one? I contacted them about the brand name and they just wrote back saying 'Made in China". The price and features seems good. Just unsure if I want to pull the trigger yet.

Quick Reply: Car "black box" - DVR