GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking about joining the GX family

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 05:05 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about joining the GX family

Hello all!

I am the current owner of 2006 Acura RL (AWD) and 2007 Sienna Limited.
Due to family growing and increased need for safe, larger, capable AWD car for the winter, i am seriously thinking about selling my Acura RL and getting a used GX470 (or even LX470). The SUV will be used for long trips to the mountains and back (250mi one way). It will not be a daily commuter car for the most part.

Since i am trying to stay around the $20k budget, my choices are limited to older GX470 from the 2003-2005 time period. I see lots of 2004 available for sale with close to 100k miles. Was 2004 a bad year??
Most come with around 90-100k miles, which does not scare me to much. I am not a mechanic but i've worked on various cars before and i know how to do a lot of easy to medium difficulty tasks. I've been reading and researching a lot on these trucks and that kind of mileage on the odo is not a big deal, IF the truck was maintained.

I have a a few important questions i wanted to ask, hoping that you can give me honest feedback:

1. Automatic Transmission reliability - I haven't seen many reports on the forums on problematic AT. Is the GX/LX transmission considered very reliable and generally bullet proof, or i should expect a costly rebuilt around 120-130k miles mark? What's the real story? Of course, we're assuming that the GX SUV in question has been serviced at Lexus/Toyota dealer and was not completely neglected. How would you rate the AT compared to other cars?

2. Early year models vs later years ... or 2003-2004 vs 2005+ => Aside from engine producing more HP with the newer models, what else am i going to loose if i buy a 2003-2004 vs 2005? Any other key features? Any reliability issues with the earlier models? Any important improvements?
I cannot afford a 2007 or newer for sure.... this is why i focus on 2006 or older. Looking at prices, i will most likely end up with 2004-2005. Is there a solid reason for me to 'save' more money and buy newer??

3. Horsepower: Does the 2003-2004 lower output engine feel underpowered? Is the 'real world' experience a lot different with the more powerful engine and the extra 30+ hp or not so obvious?

Thank you!!
Dan
Old 08-08-12, 05:45 PM
Vims
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default was in your shoes a year ago

I was a year ago in the same situation, vehicle had be change to - ?
I did a research and the general answer from friends, Lexus owners, dealerships was - if you want to go with SUV Lexus, then 07 GX/LX is the way to go. I did it this spring when i got that chance.
I might be have not answered your question in full, however it is my 2 cents to seed something in your mind
Old 08-08-12, 06:52 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
Hello all!

Due to family growing and increased need for safe, larger, capable AWD car for the winter, i am seriously thinking about selling my Acura RL and getting a used GX470 (or even LX470). The SUV will be used for long trips to the mountains and back (250mi one way). It will not be a daily commuter car for the most part.

Since i am trying to stay around the $20k budget, my choices are limited to older GX470 from the 2003-2005 time period. I see lots of 2004 available for sale with close to 100k miles. Was 2004 a bad year??
Most come with around 90-100k miles, which does not scare me to much. I am not a mechanic but i've worked on various cars before and i know how to do a lot of easy to medium difficulty tasks. I've been reading and researching a lot on these trucks and that kind of mileage on the odo is not a big deal, IF the truck was maintained.

I have a a few important questions i wanted to ask, hoping that you can give me honest feedback:

1. Automatic Transmission reliability - I haven't seen many reports on the forums on problematic AT. Is the GX/LX transmission considered very reliable and generally bullet proof, or i should expect a costly rebuilt around 120-130k miles mark? What's the real story? Of course, we're assuming that the GX SUV in question has been serviced at Lexus/Toyota dealer and was not completely neglected. How would you rate the AT compared to other cars?

2. Early year models vs later years ... or 2003-2004 vs 2005+ => Aside from engine producing more HP with the newer models, what else am i going to loose if i buy a 2003-2004 vs 2005? Any other key features? Any reliability issues with the earlier models? Any important improvements?
I cannot afford a 2007 or newer for sure.... this is why i focus on 2006 or older. Looking at prices, i will most likely end up with 2004-2005. Is there a solid reason for me to 'save' more money and buy newer??

3. Horsepower: Does the 2003-2004 lower output engine feel underpowered? Is the 'real world' experience a lot different with the more powerful engine and the extra 30+ hp or not so obvious?

Thank you!!
Dan
If you're on a budget, then the horsepower in an '03 or '04 will be fine. I have an '04 and have never needed more.

1) AT is bulletproof. Don't worry about it.

You'll find a good number of threads regarding the difference from a 2004 to a 2005.

Just curious - is your Sienna not roomier than a GX?
Old 08-08-12, 08:00 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about the space and cargo capacity of sienna vs gx470 but ur def safer in a gx in a crash for sure... and for your family too, get one
Old 08-08-12, 09:05 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd rather take a long roadie in your minivan. The GX is not a high speed cruiser IMHO ... it takes a heavy foot and concentration to keep it going +85mph all the while it's absolutely chugging gas like a sailor chugging beer on shore leave. I'm not saying it won't or can't. A bit slower is no big deal, but it's just not happy hauling ***.

Keep the sweet AWD RL. Get an AWD Sienna. Get an AWD Highlander.
Old 08-08-12, 10:19 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

You find so many for sale around 90K because the 90K service is anywhere from $800-$1800 depending on who does it and how many parts you change. The 30hp make a big difference for highway cruising where the 03/04 is sluggish at best and honestly probably underpowered. If your doing mostly city driving, I think you would be fine with an 03/04, but as a highway cruiser I would try to find an 05+.

Keep in mind that parts are very expensive for this vehicle, replacing a few sensors in the suspension system can easily run into the 1K to 2K range. I would put the most priority on a detailing service history, otherwise you maybe buying a service time bomb. The tranny did change between 04 and 05 as well, i know my 04 was prone to leaks. 05 has slightly updated electronic (like BT support) but is still outdated by modern standards. You can add most of the missing electronics into the 04 anyway,. 2008 is where the vehicle starts to get much more refined with modern navigation and much nicer wood trim.
Old 08-08-12, 10:21 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by cdew002

Just curious - is your Sienna not roomier than a GX?
The Sienna is very roomy and very comfortable and we love it. However, it is only FWD. Bad choice for mountain driving in the winter. I am not installing chains every time it starts snowing.

We need a solid, roomy AWD car for winter trips. The RL handles the snow very well, but it gets cramped vey quickly when you load kids and other gear in it. Occasionally, we may need 3rd row seat too, when we have family joining us.
Old 08-08-12, 10:30 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
... A bit slower is no big deal, but it's just not happy hauling ***.

Keep the sweet AWD RL. Get an AWD Sienna. Get an AWD Highlander.
Sounds like i need at least a 2005 model so i can get the extra 30+ HP. They must help a bit.

Keeping the RL - yes, it is a sweet car. Reliable, somewhat fast, fully loaded and handles really well with the SH-AWD. It has no issues in the snow with winter tires....except - it needs more ground clearence. The biggest problem with the RL - it is NOT roomy and the trunk is small, and no 3rd row seat.

AWD Sienna is not cheap to buy and kind of hard to find loaded. We want to have the toys - power doors, leather, Navi, DVD, camera, sensors, etc. This is what we have in our current FWD Sienna and we don't want to give it up. A well loaded newer AWD Sienna is close to $35-40k. Dont want to spend so much money for sure.

AWD Highlander - Is the AWD system on these cars even worth considering? I heard/read that Highlanders are not a great choice in bad weather and the AWD system is very weak. The newer ones, loaded are not cheap.

Last edited by danmm7; 08-08-12 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 11:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Hello all!

Thank you!!
Dan
You won't have any troubles with either the LX or GX. I owned an LX and it was a damn fine vehicle.

The big issue with the LX is that it is a very old design that was brought to market at the end of the 90s. The GX on the other was fresh to the market while LX was entering its sixth model year. The LX that I owned had the four speed and at the time it had 16 inch rims, so if your buying a pre 03 LX you are getting some old features. The 5 speed transmissions are very good.

On the luxury front, the LX never had dual front HVAC like the GX. Not sure if that important to you but on a long trip it might be. Also the LX does have hill start or hill stop while the GX.

As for the 4.7, you will not have any problems with it, the 4.7 was an outstanding engine. Something to keep in mind, the GX and LX are not technically using the same powertrains, (yes both have 4.7s and a 5 speed) but the GX and LX are geared different and using different axles. The LX is a very old rear geared at an agressive 4.10 while the GX is a more modern rear geared at a somewhat mild 3.72, the will seem to drive a bit different.

The GX using the identical V8 powertrain/chassis of the 4Runner minus the AVS suspension.

Just so you know, keep in mind that my late 90s LX470 average 12 mpgs combined at the time, but gas was nowhere near the cost as it is today. The LX also needed a lot of upkeep, I am sure the GX is about the same or a bit better.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-09-12, 06:27 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

The best advice regarding the horsepower is to drive both year models and decide for yourself. I have not had any need for more power out of an '04, but it seems Zoltec has.

Don't make a decision based on someone else's opinion, particularly when it's so easy to compare.
Old 08-09-12, 08:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002
The best advice regarding the horsepower is to drive both year models and decide for yourself. I have not had any need for more power out of an '04, but it seems Zoltec has.

Don't make a decision based on someone else's opinion, particularly when it's so easy to compare.
X2, drive it for yourself. Everyone drives differently, and to some the extra power is needed, to others it isn't needed.

My uncle used to have an 04' , I found it had plenty of power around town, but let's just say I'm a spiriited driver on the highway and found it to be lacking a little. He's now got I believe an 05' or 06', and that's sufficient for me to romp around on the highway with.
Old 08-09-12, 12:50 PM
sprocket
Intermediate

I bought a 2004 GX 3 years ago when it had 48K on it. It now has 78K. Outside of normal maintenance I have had no repairs. Power-wise, up until a few months ago I pulled a 5,000lb boat. The power was fine both pulling the boat and without it. I have never felt I wanted more power, but I live in FL where it is flat.

My thinking is that a lot of people just don't keep vehicles past 90K. I'm 52, and the most miles I have ever had on a vehicle was 88K. I do plan on keeping my GX past that point, even though I will need the 90K service, tires and probably brakes.
Old 08-10-12, 11:06 AM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The big issue with the LX is that it is a very old design that was brought to market at the end of the 90s. The GX on the other was fresh to the market while LX was entering its sixth model year. The LX that I owned had the four speed and at the time it had 16 inch rims, so if your buying a pre 03 LX you are getting some old features. The 5 speed transmissions are very good.

Just so you know, keep in mind that my late 90s LX470 average 12 mpgs combined at the time, but gas was nowhere near the cost as it is today. The LX also needed a lot of upkeep, I am sure the GX is about the same or a bit better.
These are some interesting comments.
Speaking of "old design" on the LX and even the GX .... i am trying to gauge how will this 'old design' compare if i use my $20k budget to buy a 'newer' 2006-07 Ford Expedition or 2006-07 Chevy Tahoe or even Lincoln Navigator or any of the 'newer' domestic SUVs??

Correct me if i wrong.... but my impression is that these domestic SUVs, even though they may be newer, lots of their components are very outdated , even when you look at 2007 models. Engine, transmission, suspension and AWD system in a Chevy or Ford ... do not seem to be much improved since the late 90s or early 2000's. Maybe i am wrong.

In other words.... if i want to spend only around $20k for a large used SUV, am i better off buying a 2003-2005 LX/GX470 .... or 2006-2007 Domestic SUV?

And yes, i realize that i am asking this question in a Lexus forum.
Old 08-10-12, 01:18 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

And yes, i realize that i am asking this question in a Lexus forum.
I doubt you will see anyone on this site suggest you buy any of those other brands, even if they had considerably more gadgets.

Most everything (that I can think of) that the GX doesn't have can be added on for a minimal cost if you had to have it.
Old 08-10-12, 02:21 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

I think you will find the GX is better equipped then all but the highest level trim of those other vehicles you mention. Most luxury items are simply standard on the GX where-as you need to get limited models to build a similar vehicle. Some options, like ELSD, air suspension and third row you cannot get unless you go much larger. I had a 06 Yukon Denali, I really liked the vehicle, but it got terrible gas mileage (worse then GX) and didn't perform as well in the mud as the GX does, nor did it tow as well.

A tougher competition for the GX is more along the lines of a used X5 or Range Rover, circa mid 2000's. These would be equally well equipped and around the same price range. Also expensive to maintain. Just outside of your 20K price range would be a used '11 Grand Cherokee -- the 300hp V6 is eons more advanced -- but it would also not be as well equipped (base model). I'm a big fan of the WK2 jeeps now

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining the GX family