GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 01-07-15, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

XM radio installation

Old 07-23-12, 01:15 PM
Surfdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio installation

I have a 08 GX 470 that I just purchased and as I was going thorough setting it up I noticed that it didn’t have the XM radio installed. I looked at the original window sticker and sure enough the car was not equipped with it. The question is how easy is it to find and install the module. I’m assuming that it is a plug in accessory.
Old 07-23-12, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to clublexus

the head unit is sat ready, but yes, most of the cars don't come with the xm tuner installed. you can check with dealership to see if they still stock the tuner unit. i know a lot of places they don't carry it anymore. in that case, you can always go with aftermarket like vaistech (vaistech.com). they are also vendors here. they have full plug and play solutions with your head unit, so you can plug in their unit and tuner to get xm radio. of course, that means you will likely need to utilize those black puck type antenna somewhere on the car. i have a done a few installs and they all work out pretty well
Old 07-23-12, 02:46 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Our '08 GX came with the factory-installed XM radio, and it has the "black puck type antenna" mounted just above the rear barn door. I downloaded a set of factory XM radio installation instructions (from Sewell IIRC)and sure enough, they show the installation of the puck type antenna right where ours is.

Personally, I would go with VAIStech's XM add-on radio. It's simply two tiny boxes, both smaller than a pack of cigs, that came be tucked in behind the head unit. Mounting the puck antenna & running the antenna wire is the only time-consuming part of the install. We have a VAIStech in our '08 ES and are very pleased with it, plus VAIStech has outstanding customer service!

In comparison, the factory unit--if you can find one--will likely cost a bunch more money, consists of a lot more components and wiring harnesses, and is a lot more complicated to install.

Your money--your choice.
Old 07-23-12, 05:05 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Vaistech... especially since their is a unit w/ XM tuner box/antenna etc. (all that's needed for install) for sale cheap in GX classifieds section too
Old 07-24-12, 04:38 PM
Surfdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'm looking at the Vaistech site now, as well as youtube to see about installing the unit. I replaced the factory radio in my 03 F250 with a Pioneer unit that has FM CD DVD and XM and really like it. That's something I never thought I would like but now think I can't drive without it. I had to custom make the adapter harnesses and rework the dash opening but it looks very clean and works really well. It shouldn't be too hard to install this.
Old 07-24-12, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you were able to do all that, installing the vaistech xm kit / setup should be piece of cake for you. everything is plug and play and gx is very easy to work with
Old 07-25-12, 06:24 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had XM installed soon after acquiring my 07. The installation includes placing a good sized XM module in that small compartment on the left wall of the cargo area... you won't be able to use that space for storage. It's also fairly expensive doing it through the dealer... ran me around $900-1000 if I remember correctly. I use it all the time so it was worth it to me.
Old 07-25-12, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by prwdmd
I had XM installed soon after acquiring my 07. The installation includes placing a good sized XM module in that small compartment on the left wall of the cargo area... you won't be able to use that space for storage. It's also fairly expensive doing it through the dealer... ran me around $900-1000 if I remember correctly. I use it all the time so it was worth it to me.
wow, that's indeed quite expensive!!!!!!!

vaistech setup iirc should be around 300 + install
Old 07-27-12, 01:35 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Surfdaddy
Thanks, I'm looking at the Vaistech site now, as well as youtube to see about installing the unit. I replaced the factory radio in my 03 F250 with a Pioneer unit that has FM CD DVD and XM and really like it. That's something I never thought I would like but now think I can't drive without it. I had to custom make the adapter harnesses and rework the dash opening but it looks very clean and works really well. It shouldn't be too hard to install this.
On our ES, the little XM receiver box--part of the VAIS XM kit--failed, and XM died after just a few months. After contacting both VAIS & the stereo shop that did the initial install for me, I finally had VAIS send me a new receiver and did the R & R of the head unit myself--twice. Removing & replacing the head unit on the ES was a piece-of-cake, but that head unit is one heavy mother, and you MUST have a folded towel to place it on once it is unbolted and pulled out so you can access the connectors on the back.

VAIS Customer Service sent me the new receiver in TWO days, at NO cost to me. I have nothing but good things to say about VAIS--a superb company IMHO.

BTW- I would not hesitate to do this job on another Lexus if I have to. It wasn't difficult at all.
Old 07-30-12, 08:20 AM
Surfdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I should be getting the unit this week (Thanks Scott!!) If I have time this week I’ll try installing it after work otherwise I’ll have to wait until Sunday afternoon. I’ll post pictures and info on the install.
Old 08-03-12, 12:30 PM
Surfdaddy
Driver School Candidate

I received the unit as advertised and installed it last night. Everything was pretty straight forward except for trying to find a mounting place for the MX receiver and adapter module. It was pretty nervracking prying off the plastic trim but everything went ok. The only issue I have is getting the head unit to recognize the XM module. I’m pretty sure I’m not doing it right but will have to call VAIS and see if they can walk me through it. I have the modules sitting on the floor right now just in case I have to flip the switches or do something else. I didn’t route the antenna yet since it didn’t recognize the unit I didn’t want to go any further. Looks like a pretty slick set up, though under the dash is pretty crowded and I’m not totally sure where to mount the modules.
Old 08-03-12, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

with 08, you should be using SAT emulation, page 7 of instruction

http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_SL3x.pdf

make sure you don't have the "beep" function on the navigation disabled, and make sure you hear the beeps / led flashes?
Old 08-04-12, 11:32 AM
Surfdaddy
Driver School Candidate

I did that but I was just being a knucklehead. Got it to work last night and finished tucking everything away. Very seamless. The only thing I have to do now is figure out how to get in the set up mode so I can adjust the volume. It says to press the scan button 8 times in 1-2 seconds and I should hear a beep confirming that I'm in the the set up mode. but can't seen to get it. I'll figure it out eventually. I may have to call the customer support to walk me through it Like I said I'm being a knucklehead .
Old 08-04-12, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I did that but I was just being a knucklehead. Got it to work last night and finished tucking everything away. Very seamless. The only thing I have to do now is figure out how to get in the set up mode so I can adjust the volume. It says to press the scan button 8 times in 1-2 seconds and I should hear a beep confirming that I'm in the the set up mode. but can't seen to get it. I'll figure it out eventually. I may have to call the customer support to walk me through it Like I said I'm being a knucklehead .
yes, just keep trying. 8 times in 1-2 sec isn't easiest. took me a while to "master" that too

good luck!
Old 08-05-12, 04:47 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Yeah, I was able to get int set-up mode ONCE! The other times I tried it I had no luck. So it IS possible, just difficult.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XM radio installation