GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About to pull the trigger on a GX. Need some advice (high mileage, year changes, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 03:13 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try calling a Toyota shop too. Same mechanic knowledge at half the price. You'll also have to tell them what is in the manual for the 90k service for a quote.
Old 07-17-12, 03:17 PM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002
Try calling a Toyota shop too. Same mechanic knowledge at half the price. You'll also have to tell them what is in the manual for the 90k service for a quote.
They quoted me $1,400
Old 07-17-12, 03:44 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give you an idea of what the parts costs; http://www.ebay.com/itm/190431877562 -- It's just alot of labor.
Old 07-17-12, 08:34 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraki
They quoted me $1,400
Timing belt and water pump alone from a Toyota shop is 850...plugs, coolant flush , oil filter, diff, flush brake fluid...not a bad price, serpentine belt too. Unless you are going to do this stuff yourself?
Old 07-17-12, 08:49 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Two freaking grand for the 90k service?! Holy sticker shock, Batman.

My 2GS was just over a grand at the stealership and just under with an independent.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 07-17-12 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 08:57 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

looks about right - gl

Thanks everyone for the input. I called Lexus and they quoted me $1800 for the 90k service. I called 4 other trusted shops of mine and they all quoted me 1200-1400 as well for:

1. Engine oil
2. AC filter
3. Brake fluid
4. Timing belt
5. Water Pump
6. Lubricate drive shaft
7. Drive belts
8. Coolant
9. Differential oil
10. Spark plugs

Does this price sound about right?
Old 07-18-12, 03:25 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Two freaking grand for the 90k service?! Holy sticker shock, Batman.

My 2GS was just over a grand at the stealership and just under with an independent.
Could have sworn the post said 1400? Nothing about two freaking grand...Robin.
Old 07-19-12, 06:42 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Stealership quoted OP @ $1.8k.
Old 07-19-12, 07:03 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Is it not wise for me to purchase such a high mileage and use it for a daily driver? I really need this to be dependable as it'll be my only vehicle for the next few months.

2. Because of my price range I'll have to purchase an older model ~2004/2005 but I'd like to convert the appearances to a 2009 look. I had a difficult time finding a comprehensive list but this is the best I found.
The website lists the following:
-Clear lens indicators on taillights (easy DIY swap)
-Chromed door handles (has anyone attempted this yet?)
-Darker grille (I've searched everywhere and the grilles don't appear different to me. Could someone enlighten me?

3. Is the 05 VVTi with the extra hp worth the extra $ to get? Is there any noticeable difference in acceleration or everyday driving? And Can I still use regular at the pumps with this engine?

4. Last but not least, I noticed while driving some GX's have a slight blue tint to their headlights and some don't. Is this a year to year change or are the non blue-ish ones just oxidized from age. Its something I'd really want on mine.
)
1. First off, I wouldn't worry about the "higher" mileage...I mean, it's a yota, so as long as the regular maintenance has been done on time I wouldn't fret too much. As for the 90k service, yes it's a good idea to do it @ 90k, but you can wait and do it later @ 100k or more. Mine's coming up on 90k and I'm probably just going to do a visual/physical inspection of what I can and wait a couple more thousand miles til I can get it home to our family mechanic (who doesn't charge an arm and a leg to do maintenance (and has been doing quality work for us for longer than I've been alive).

My wife & I test drove both an 04 & an 05 before we ended up buying our 06 a few months later. I only noticed slight differences when flooring it off the line in that the 04 was "very slightly" slower to get up and go. My wife (probably didn't notice anything, but when given the choice she will always choose the newer, better & bigger version...as she did. lol

2. I can't really comment and you wanting the newer "visually different" things, as I'm a big proponent to Plastidipping every piece of chrome that I can find. The only thing I would ever both with is the tail light swap, but I'd only bother if one of them got cracked or needed to be replaced for some reason. I already have a back-up cam & bluetooth (can attest that they are a wonderful addition to helping you not back this big rearend into things that you don't want to--not to mention being able to control all climate & audio through the nav screen).

3. I've done the Premium vs. Regular comparison and have noticed this: with Premium you get a higher price at the pump & better MPGs, with Regular you get a lower price at the pump & lower MPGs. It's pretty much a wash. Did this on a road trip home from Spokane, WA to the opposite corner of the state (Long Beach, WA). Only other "slight" difference I noted was when going thru winding/hilly curves with the Premium the engine was more responsive, but with Regular slightly less so. On a flat highway doing 60-70 you should be able to do this test yourself and get some pretty easily comparable results.

4. For the headlights, yes, the newer ones have a slightly blue/green tint in the actual glass lens (our 06 certainly does).

Hope this helps you out a little bit. Haven't done a good write-up like this since I've had the ol' GX (just at 3 years now). Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it all turns out!
Old 07-19-12, 09:18 PM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your help. I just put a deposit down on an 04 blizzard white with 98k miles. It seems to be in great condition and it also has a rear camera. Just had the major 90k overhaul and they also did the brakes, new tires, and waterpump, etc.

I noticed there isn't much wiggle room when buying used GX's I really tried to hustle a couple used car places.

I'll be paying $19k cash ($990 of asking price) and I just wanted to get some of your opinions before I pulled the trigger.

Heres a link to the car: http://www.mypaylessauto.com/1451/20...-Sport-Utility

Thanks again for all the help. I'm on the verge of finally owning a GX!

Last edited by shiraki; 07-20-12 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 09:55 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Honest opinion? It looks pretty clean but with an accident in the carfax that price is way to high. I understand they can be hard to find, but still... My best guess is there is a big difference in the west coast vs east coast market. You may want to expand your search distance and look into shipping.

I would be thrilled to get 16K for my loaded 04 w/ 82K miles. Trade in offers have been 15K and less. Even it costs $1000 to ship you would be saving alot of money. I looked at an 07 w/ 80K miles the other day, dealership came down to 21.5K.
Old 07-19-12, 10:47 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

op, buy z0lt3c gx470 and ship it back to nevada... you would be much much much better off financially and truckwise...
Old 07-19-12, 10:48 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

i can give ya $16k for that rig and split the shipping cost with ya...

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
Honest opinion? It looks pretty clean but with an accident in the carfax that price is way to high. I understand they can be hard to find, but still... My best guess is there is a big difference in the west coast vs east coast market. You may want to expand your search distance and look into shipping.

I would be thrilled to get 16K for my loaded 04 w/ 82K miles. Trade in offers have been 15K and less. Even it costs $1000 to ship you would be saving alot of money. I looked at an 07 w/ 80K miles the other day, dealership came down to 21.5K.
Old 07-20-12, 12:11 AM
shiraki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by z0lt3c

Thanks that really helps to put things in perspective. And if I bring up the accident I'm sure that'll help reduce the price.

And I think you're right with the whole west coast vs east coast thing, it also doesn't help that I'm so stubborn and set on Blizzard Pearl + gray interior (which seems to be a popular combo).
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19k is WAAY to much for an 04 with an accident. I'd keep looking and consider shipping.

Try searching the Houston area. It's a huge market, and mostly salt free roads so you'll know it wont have tons of rust.

Last edited by SouthernSS; 07-20-12 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a GX. Need some advice (high mileage, year changes, etc)