GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 12:14 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a Lexus dealer 250 point inspection they found $5K in repair needed. Wear and tear stuff but I was promised there was nothing wrong with the car due to their "300 point" inspection . Soooooo I need to work out a deal with the seller dealership or return the GX since they sold me a $16K car for $21K.

I am still very interested in a GX or 4Runner. But I need to be able to walk away from this is they don't agree to fix the problems.
Old 08-04-12, 04:06 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the problems?
Old 08-04-12, 09:55 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Timing belt & cllant leak job in that area, rear shocks, Front axle stuff (ball joints or something I can't remember?) I dunno. All fixable, all needing to be done. Not every one right away.

However. The Audi dealer spent hrs bulls!ting me about their 300point check and the "Penske" name is at stake. I told them a few times I was really worried about dropping this kind of cash and having issues a day later. Why after a while I ended up getting a two day return policy that I paid $250 for. Today is the last day. I doubt they were not fully aware of the issues. They agree to pay, fix it, OR take off the money do I can have my guy fix it.

Or it just gets returned. I got the GX cause of my Toyota/Lexus loyalty. Love the brand. But wow their parts are really expensive. haha.
Old 08-04-12, 10:24 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Why after a while I ended up getting a two day return policy that I paid $250 for. Today is the last day. I doubt they were not fully aware of the issues. They agree to pay, fix it, OR take off the money do I can have my guy fix it.
If they agreed to pay, fit it OR take off the money that it would cost to fix whats the problem? Most of those items are wear and tear anyway...if I was that dealer I wouldnt fix those problems for you. Youre buying a used GX not new?

Its kind of silly to buy ANY vehicle and do an inspection AFTER you buy it anyway, why would you do that? Youre lucky to have paid $250 for a 2 day money back deal...return it and start over.
Old 08-04-12, 11:48 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Right. It's pretty black and white. You don't have to understand. I don't require it. I can walk away from this toady. Move on. I have every right to get money for these issues. They also have the right to refuse and bull***** some one else. It's a buyers market and they are an empty car mall. I was straight up lead to over and or again.

Anyways, you read like your a car dealer rep.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-04-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-04-12, 12:22 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Returning the car. Fresh start.

I actually spoke too soon. They came back and negotiated. I caved. Got half the repair costs making up for the money I actually lost on the trade in.

I love this GX. I just could not help it. I can wait on the rear shocks. Only thing I must get now is the the timing belt ASAP.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-04-12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-04-12, 03:55 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you were able to resolve the differences with the dealer. They probably paid $17-$18 for that vehicle, so even giving you $2500 back they are still making a nice profit and moving if off their lot. Also, this way you know the repairs were done right. If you priced our repairs at a Lexus dealer, you may want to try going to a Toyota dealer now. They have access to the same part catalog and training but Toyota tends to charge less then Lexus for the same repair.
Old 08-04-12, 07:02 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
Good to hear you were able to resolve the differences with the dealer. They probably paid $17-$18 for that vehicle, so even giving you $2500 back they are still making a nice profit and moving if off their lot. Also, this way you know the repairs were done right. If you priced our repairs at a Lexus dealer, you may want to try going to a Toyota dealer now. They have access to the same part catalog and training but Toyota tends to charge less then Lexus for the same repair.
Thanks yeah I walked away feeling better. I was told by a buddy that does this stuff for a living he can save me more than 25% of the dealer price but he would have some one else that is a toyota tech do the timing belt. I trust him.

Couple of day shots.

Dark Grey leather is interesting. I would preffer I guess black or light grey like my RX. But I will live and it's better than the tan.

Not a great angle.

Not sure but I feel like I am being lied to on the Avg mpg lol.
Old 08-04-12, 07:06 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice pics, missing a spoiler... there's an install thread that's very detailed... i added some info too

glad you ditched the chick ride for a nice truck... looks like you like it already
Old 08-04-12, 08:12 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clubsport
nice pics, missing a spoiler... there's an install thread that's very detailed... i added some info too

glad you ditched the chick ride for a nice truck... looks like you like it already
Yes HID in headlights and fogs and spoiler asap.
Old 08-05-12, 05:02 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Not sure but I feel like I am being lied to on the Avg mpg lol.
Most likely. Our calculated mileage is consistently 1.0-1.5 mpg less than what is displayed.
Old 08-05-12, 09:58 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless you upsize your tires to 285/70-17's, then it's spot on!!
Old 08-05-12, 12:02 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
Yeah I was wondering about tires actually. Gonna be fun figuring THAT one out.
Old 08-05-12, 02:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

By the way I find the absent voice and sound turn warnings in the navi quite somber. I really enjoyed it in my RX. I really wish they had included it. Maybe it's there and I just can't find the option lol. Doing a search.

Got it! Lol I have a feling some old threads are going to be brought back from the dead cause of me. I hate learning a car. I thought it would be allot easier since my RX has so many similar things but NOT!

Last edited by infinirx; 08-05-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 08:45 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
Nuh uh. Consensus says its off by at least 1 mpg all the time. And never in your favor.

Quick Reply: Any GX Owners driven a Rx330 or 350? Am I missing out on the GX?