GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 03:57 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...

I am at an impass... After 7 great years I am throwing around the idea of selling the GX and picking up a Toyota Sequoia Platinum.

With approx 76k on the clock it's either keep it for the long haul and be prepared to put the money into it to keep it running and in tip-top shape or sell it now while it's still worth something and put that cash towards the Sequoia. I love my GX, but with a 3rd kid on the way and me needing more towing capacity for a bigger boat I have yet to buy the Sequoia w/5.7l V8 fits the bill nicely. My sister's family has owned 3 (1st and 2nd gen) and they loved each one.

In any event just kicking the idea around. My truck looks nearly as good today as the day I bought it, which make it all the more difficult-I've become quite attached to my GX. I still vividly remember the day I bought it and brought it home from the dealer in Oct 2005. Oh it's nice not having a car payment either. LOL

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by cssnms; 07-03-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 04:58 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on number 3! You might be right to move to something larger because of the 3rd child, but don't worry about the maintenance costs - they are far less over the next 60k miles than a new truck.
Old 07-03-12, 05:07 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on your 3rd child. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child (this time a boy!!) July 26th!

I feel you on needing the extra room. My uncle has a Sequoia and its nice but with the 2 captain chairs for the middle seats its hard to mess with a child in a car seat with a center console in the way, thats why I bought a GX a few months back instead of the Sequoia.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do and congrats again.
Old 07-03-12, 05:29 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... you have a nice truck then cuz knowing you are 1st owner you took care of it right from the beginning...

i was driving home 2 days ago in my gx470 and behind me was a 2nd gen sequoia but at the time i assume it was a white toyota tundra cuz i am familiar with the front end of my brother's toyota tundra... after a while it passed by me and i saw it was a white 2nd gen sequoia like my cousin's... after i got home and looked at my gx470 again i was glad i never picked up the 2nd gen sequoia or the 2nd gen qx56... the 1st gen gx470 is such a good lookin car i can't imagine being happy with my truck had it been anything else...

if ya can make it work, keep your gx470...
Old 07-03-12, 05:35 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS...I almost picked up a Sequoia platinum before I got the GX.
Old 07-03-12, 06:23 PM
cssnms
Racer

Thank you all for the "congrat!" We feel like 'ol veterns now with an 8 and 5 year old, but having another newbirn still scares the bajesus out of me! LOL. I think I've been in a state of denial over the last 8 months but with the due date looming come Aug 13th the reality of many sleepless nights is starting to set in.

I hear ya on the comments on the "looks," but it's a look that has truely grown on me over the years. I agree the GX is one of the best looking suv's on the road. That said the interior of the Platinum Sequoia I find to be in a different class in terms of room and comfort. It feels like I could fit 2 GX interiors inside the Sequoia. The rear captains chairs are optional, otherwise it"s a bench, but we prefer the captains chairs for ease of access to the 3rd row for our 8 yo (no flipping seats). It's a massive truck and it drives like it, which oddly enough I kinda like. The Platinum has adjustable suspension (sport, comfort etc) not much unlike the GX and it also has the rear leveling suspension, which is a MUST for towing.

Anyway, my mind isn't made up, but if I end up keeping the GX I will need to buy a used pick-up with crew cab to tow the bigger boat, so in either case I will have a truck payment. It would seem to me maintenance and insurance on 1 vehicle would certainly be cheaper than maint and insurance on 2 vehicles. I don't know....
Old 07-03-12, 06:58 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I like the Sequoia a lot, that said its not a Lexus- its a Toyota. This may sound like a dumb question but what Generation is a brand new Sequoia?
Old 07-04-12, 04:08 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Chris! Thanks for all your contributions to the CL forum! Many happy years ahead to the growing family.
Old 07-04-12, 08:34 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I like the Sequoia a lot, that said its not a Lexus- its a Toyota. This may sound like a dumb question but what Generation is a brand new Sequoia?
2nd Gen, 08 to present

1st is 01-07
Old 07-04-12, 10:04 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

How big is the old and new boat? I'd rather have a dedicated tow vehicle, or find another solution versus towing the boat frequently.

A cheaper, used tow only vehicle would certainly be much cheaper then a new loaded Sequoia -- Never mind the extra cost of gas burning when not towing and not requiring the capacity.
Old 07-04-12, 10:23 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

your situation is a tough one... if it was like oh i just need a truck to move stuff or a daily driver then yea a beater 2nd vehicle would the be simplest solution... hard to say...

actually 2nd gen sequoia and infiniti qx56 would have been my 2nd choice had i not been able to find a good gx470... decided to save myself some money by picking up an older model gx470 and also because no other car or truck on the road right now has the same level of classy exterior look...

gl
Old 07-05-12, 07:44 AM
TopGear300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone has to suggest it.

Consider a slighlty used LX570?

Best of both worlds to me it has the space you want and the power you want with out giving up on that trademark Lexus luxury feel and qualtiy! I love the new LX so much
Old 07-05-12, 07:53 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by redrocks
Good luck Chris! Thanks for all your contributions to the CL forum! Many happy years ahead to the growing family.
Thanks man, it's been a good run for sure. Still hashing it around, so I might be around for a while longer.

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
How big is the old and new boat? I'd rather have a dedicated tow vehicle, or find another solution versus towing the boat frequently.

A cheaper, used tow only vehicle would certainly be much cheaper then a new loaded Sequoia -- Never mind the extra cost of gas burning when not towing and not requiring the capacity.
Yes perhaps, but I also need the people capacity and right now the GX is just enough, add a 3rd child and a few of my son's soccer teammates to the equation and we are packed in like sardines, not to mention contending with a child seat and access to the 3rd row the pedulum starts to swing in favor of the Sequoia.

Old boat was 21' and probably right around 5k lbs. New boat will be in the range of 26' to 28' feet with twin outboad power and weight will depend on the style and make, but figure anywhere from 6500lbs to 8000lbs. I will certainly need a truck at a minimum that can handle launch and hauling duties and this is just outside of the GX's safe zone.

My GX as nice as it is is not getting any younger, and it's out of warranty. I am going to need to start putting some dough into it (shoot I already have $1300 in the last 30 days), an $1200 timing belt coming up next year, new rotors, exhaust system and sensor replacements, etc and the potential for other things to go wrong in the forseeable future that could be very costly to fix it is difficult for me to make a case to keep it while I can still get a decent price for it. But certainly to your point it will not be as expensive as buying a new vehicle. Fuel consumption is less of a concern to me, the Sequoia does okay (a couple of mpg's less than what I get now), but that is to be expected for full-size V8 powered SUV. That is off-set by the utility IMO.

Originally Posted by clubsport
your situation is a tough one... if it was like oh i just need a truck to move stuff or a daily driver then yea a beater 2nd vehicle would the be simplest solution... hard to say...

actually 2nd gen sequoia and infiniti qx56 would have been my 2nd choice had i not been able to find a good gx470... decided to save myself some money by picking up an older model gx470 and also because no other car or truck on the road right now has the same level of classy exterior look...

gl
It is a tough decision....

Here a couple of pics I took of it last (July 4th) thought she looked good sitting out under the twilight sky.
Attached Thumbnails After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...-img-20120704-00075-2-.jpg   After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...-img-20120704-00072-2-.jpg   After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...-img-20120704-00074-2-.jpg  
Old 07-08-12, 07:41 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

That sounds like a pretty large boat to tow with a GX. I think a larger truck is worth consideration. The GX manual recommends an anti sway hitch for large boats, which I think is just to protect Lexus' tail.
Old 07-14-12, 10:03 AM
Mkartes
Driver School Candidate

brand new member here, Iam looking for a clean GX. If you decide to sell, please email me, maybe we can work something out.

Quick Reply: After nearly 7 great years I'm actually considering selling...