GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2012 Limited 4Runner 20" Wheels on GX470?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 07:05 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
Not to take this off topic, but these wheels will go great with the 6-piston Toyota Tundra TRD calipers. I am seriously thinking about getting a pair, but i also need bigger wheels than the OEM 17". Makes the whole project too $$$.

http://pictures.dealer.com/h/handyto...8a050bae54.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1315006396.jpg
Those wheels won't work. Your GX470 has 6 lug nuts, the wheels pictured have only 5 lug nuts.
Old 07-30-13, 10:18 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
Those wheels won't work. Your GX470 has 6 lug nuts, the wheels pictured have only 5 lug nuts.
I am talking about the calipers in the picture, not the wheels. They can work with ANY wheels, as long as there is enough clearance.
Old 08-01-13, 03:52 PM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Tundra Brakes!

Not to take this off topic, but these wheels will go great with the 6-piston Toyota Tundra TRD calipers. I am seriously thinking about getting a pair, but i also need bigger wheels than the OEM 17". Makes the whole project too $$$.

http://pictures.dealer.com/h/handyto...8a050bae54.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1315006396.jpg
Your right on target man, part of my wanting to get new wheels for the GX was so I could put the original wheels onto my 3rd gen 4runner to make room for a Tundra brake swap.

I had no idea there was a possibility of putting tundra brakes on the GX but I am very interested.

Do you have any more info on the tundra brake mod for the GX?
Old 08-04-13, 09:56 AM
andreys
Pole Position

I am talking about the calipers in the picture, not the wheels. They can work with ANY wheels, as long as there is enough clearance.
There won't be enough clearance for Tundra brakes with 20" wheels. Those calipers even have different mounting points. Several guys tried this already and it didn't work.

Where are you getting your facts that Tundra brakes will work with 4th gen 4Runner or GX470?
Old 08-05-13, 10:30 AM
danmm7
Driver

There won't be enough clearance for Tundra brakes with 20" wheels. Those calipers even have different mounting points. Several guys tried this already and it didn't work.

Where are you getting your facts that Tundra brakes will work with 4th gen 4Runner or GX470?
I am getting my "facts" from some research on the ih8mud forums. People there claim to have it done with 4runners and even the GX470. I have not done it on my GX obviously.

I never said that these calipers are direct bolt-on. You may need a bracket, which is not impossible to do/find. However, the OEM (non-TRD) Tundra/Sequoia 4-pot calipers should be able to bolt on the GX just fine. So I doubt the Tundra/Sequoia with the big TRD brake package requires huge modification.

Why the 20" wheels won't clear the TRD calipers? How big are the OEM Tundra TRD package wheels? 22", 24"? Or is the wheel offset the problem? Please do share some facts/info with us since it sounds like you are very familiar with the subject.

Here you can find a catalog where all the big brake TRD kits are listed...
http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/part..._overview.html

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/cata...RD_Catalog.pdf
Page 24

Last edited by danmm7; 08-05-13 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 11:03 AM
andreys
Pole Position

I am getting my "facts" from some research on the ih8mud forums. People there claim to have it done with 4runners and even the GX470. I have not done it on my GX obviously.

I never said that these calipers are direct bolt-on. You may need a bracket, which is not impossible to do/find. However, the OEM (non-TRD) Tundra/Sequoia 4-pot calipers should be able to bolt on the GX just fine. So I doubt the Tundra/Sequoia with the big TRD brake package requires huge modification.

Why the 20" wheels won't clear the TRD calipers? How big are the OEM Tundra TRD package wheels? 22", 24"? Or is the wheel offset the problem? Please do share some facts/info with us since it sounds like you are very familiar with the subject.

Here you can find a catalog where all the big brake TRD kits are listed...
http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/part..._overview.html

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/cata...RD_Catalog.pdf
Page 24
Tundra/Sequoia brakes on GX470 (or 4th gen 4Runner) will require more modification when you think. None of the parts are direct bolt-on. The upgrade what you probably read is for 3rd gen 4Runners, which our GX470 are not, they're based on 4th gen.

Further, the benefit of the larger brakes will be minimal for GX470 and in my opinion this upgrade is not even close to being worth it.

Get a good quality discs (Brembo) and pads (Hawk, etc..) and you'll get better stopping power, if that's what you're going for.
Old 08-05-13, 03:58 PM
danmm7
Driver

Tundra/Sequoia brakes on GX470 (or 4th gen 4Runner) will require more modification when you think. None of the parts are direct bolt-on. The upgrade what you probably read is for 3rd gen 4Runners, which our GX470 are not, they're based on 4th gen.

Further, the benefit of the larger brakes will be minimal for GX470 and in my opinion this upgrade is not even close to being worth it.

Get a good quality discs (Brembo) and pads (Hawk, etc..) and you'll get better stopping power, if that's what you're going for.
I already have Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Truck stops well and there are no issues to report.
My concern is that things will not be so great when i start towing my boat in the mountains.
Aside from doing the Tundra brake upgrade (with some modifications), i don't know what else i can do to improve the GX brake system.
Old 08-05-13, 04:32 PM
andreys
Pole Position

I already have Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Truck stops well and there are no issues to report.
My concern is that things will not be so great when i start towing my boat in the mountains.
Aside from doing the Tundra brake upgrade (with some modifications), i don't know what else i can do to improve the GX brake system.
If you're doing it for braking power, you're probably wasting your time to be honest. Bigger brakes don't really give you more braking power. If you think about it, if the smaller brakes on your GX470are capable of locking up the tires (forget ABS for a moment) during a hard stop, then that means you have all the braking power you need, simply because the friction of the tires & road is the limiting factor. The only real advantage to big brakes is that they resist fade better because they dissipate more heat. So unless you're planning on running your GX470 really hard around a road course, your original brakes should perform just as well as bigger brakes, even for towing. Especially considering the fact that you already have decent rotors and pads.
Old 08-26-13, 05:12 PM
NinerGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 GX470 and I drive a lot on curvy Hwy One on the coast in Northern California.
I don't baby it around the turns and I tend to heat up my brakes on the coast and in Bay Area traffic.
When I bought the GX last year the front rotors and pads were changes out due to warped rotors and plain wear. The new OEM rotors the dealer put on warped within 3 months. I am looking for the best way to keep from warping the rotors and fading brakes. I am considering changing both front and rear rotors to slotted and/or drilled along with top quality pads.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the best choice for my type of driving.
The Tundra brake upgrade is also a possibility but I am not sure the cost and effort is worth it.
I'd appreciate your input !

Thanks!
Old 08-26-13, 05:49 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Read

This is a good read...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1437513

Keep in mind that it's just one guy's opinion but I have to admit, I'm of the same mind.

Cheers!

Chris
Old 08-26-13, 07:13 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't waste your time. These wheels are ONLY 7 inches wide! Not sure why Toyota decided to put a 7" wide wheel on an SUV but they did. There are only 2 tires that fit the car. Going outside the vehicle tire specs, you will find that all tire makers recommend AT LEAST a 7.5 inch wheel width.

These wheels look good from the side but from the rear/front, they look like bicycle tires. They are known as pizza cutters on the 4Runner forum.

I just picked up a 2011 T4R Limited and have already ordered a new set of the 2006-2009 OEM 4Runner Limited 18 inch wheels that look a million times better and give you a wider option of tires to use.
Old 11-14-19, 01:18 PM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I came across this trying to figure out if my wife's 15' 4runner LTD wheels will swap well to my 05 GX for a long trip we have coming up. I want to drive my 05 GX470 for 4x4 because the road to the cabin is just a cut going up the side of a mountain which was not fun the last time we took a 2WD in the summer but I don't wan to long distance the 35" BFG Mud Terrains I have on the it. They look like they will swap no problem and clear the calipers but I was worried about the backspacing. I am not as worried as what it will look like as long as the backspacing will clear the rotor, its just for the weekend. Can anyone confirm that? If I try it I will confirm.

15' 4R LTD 20"

05 GX Mud Terrains

As far as brakes go I was considering a big brake kit in the past but figured I would try something first and it was a great solution. In fact I am just waiting on a few pieces before I do it again, this time to my GX. Right now I tow a 6500lb boat with a lift and 35" mud terrains and the stock brakes do OK but I also drive it hard off road and I still need a little more out of them for both. what I tried in the past was the EBC stage 5 slotted, dimpled, coated rotors with yellow stuff pads and stainless brake lines on all 4 corners (also doing a FULL flush,bleed is very important). It was such an amazing improvement I never thought about doing a big brake upgrade again. I have now done that conversion twice and this will be my third. The yellow stuff make more dust but considering the the performance gains are well worth the trade-off. They are heavy rotors and I have not had a single one warp even being crazy hot and submerging in water. For the money and trouble that is what I would recommend trying first before going with a crazy swap.

The tires on the limited I think are more of a road handling and MPG selection since they are basically the soccer mom road version. The replacement selection does suck but I replaced the stock tires on my wife's 15' Ltd. with Michelin LTX premiers (crazy expensive) but they dramatically improved the ride and handling. I really didn't like riding or driving in it before that.
Old 11-14-19, 01:31 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

The 20's will fit, but they look dumb on a GX. I drove around like this for a few months last year while a set of wheels was getting refinished. They sit sunk into the wheel wells, even worse than on a 5th gen 4Runner.
Old 11-14-19, 05:48 PM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
The 20's will fit, but they look dumb on a GX. I drove around like this for a few months last year while a set of wheels was getting refinished. They sit sunk into the wheel wells, even worse than on a 5th gen 4Runner.
LOL have a picture?
Old 11-15-19, 09:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by HewittTech
LOL have a picture?
I don't think I even took any, I really didn't like the look, lol.

Edit: found one! Ew!

Last edited by IanB2; 11-15-19 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Limited 4Runner 20" Wheels on GX470?