GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I'm out I think

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-02, 10:35 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm out I think

Not 100% sure yet, but after reading Car and Driver's review of the GX, I'm re-considering my plans for getting one. The review from Car and Driver was very positive towards the GX...I just didn't like some of the things I read from a size perspective since I haven't actually been able to see one in person yet. I originally thought it was going to be as big as the Sequoia, but then found out 4runner. I also read it is no bigger than a Mecury Mountaineer (i.e. Ford Explorer)/Same crowd as the M-b ML, BMW X5. Well, I just got rid of my Explorer for an Expedition and I was contemplating replacing the Expy with the GX...now I'm not so sure I can coupled with the fact that my wife drives an RX and that is clearly too small. Do I need something as big as the Expy? I like the flexibility. Will the GX work for the same thing? Not in every situation...but maybe enough of the time. Then I struggle with the idea of the same size vehicle as an Explorer for probably $10k more. This is my family car...I don't need to have the ***** to wall most luxurious thing on the planet..I need functionality and flexibility. I have my GS to satisfy my thirst for luxury and performance.

The other thing in Car and Driver I liked this month was the Lincoln Aviator...I know it's dressed up Explorer, but they threw the BIG BOY engine in their and the thing handles WELL above average for an SUV...extremely solid handling according to C&D. Anyway I've got until July to sort this all out. Any comments to pros and cons would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-02, 11:30 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

John,

Yeah, Aviator SEEMS nice. However, it is a FORD afterall...read below!

Engine, Suspension Defects Stop Aviator Shipments - Plague JOB1
06 November 2002
Robert Lane

Aviator 4.6L V8

Bill Ford's desire to get one launch right will have to continue to wait - it won't happen with the 2003 Lincoln Aviator. Reports from Romeo engine indicates a problem may exist with the Aviator's 4.6L V8 engine. A manifest of Aviator VIN numbers with alleged defective engines was also sent to BlueOvalNews. Other sources have also confirmed that hundreds of Lincoln Aviators may be plagued with factory installed defective engines. The Romeo, Michigan engine line which supplies engines for the Aviator, Mustang Cobra and other products is now closed.

According to sources, the number 7 and 8 cylinders of the Aviator's 4.6L V8 engine are failing between 7,000 and 30,000 miles. Sources also contend that Ford has tried to reroute the exhaust system and install a water pump that can pump more volume in an effort to keep the engine running cooler. It's not known if either one of those proposed changes worked or not. BlueOvalNews was also told that Ford Motor Company has shipped a pallet of finished left bank cylinder heads and a team of non-Ford, non-union employees to change the cylinder heads in the effected Aviators.

Last week, BlueOvalNews first reported that Ford stopped production of the 2003 Cobra Mustang due to suspected engine problems. Based on recently obtained information, we believe that the Cobra Mustang has suffered from the same problems as the Aviator. A reliable source informed us that the 2003 Cobra was experiencing engine cylinder head problems too. This was reported further by Detroit Free Press writer Mark Phelan who wrote an article "Engine Glitch Holds Up Mustang's Production." There are several interesting similarities between the Aviator and Cobra engine problems. First, they both use identical cylinder head and cylinder head gaskets. Second, production of both vehicles was stopped around the same time. As a side note, 2001 Cobra Mustangs have been plagued with "pinging" cylinder heads. The 2002 Cobra's production was cancelled, a few were made and sold to Ford employees though.

Aviator Front Suspension Problems:

Additional sources have also added that a part or parts in the Aviator's front suspension were failing and causing shipments to become delayed. The St. Louis assembly plant is allegedly having teams replace at least one suspension part before the Aviators can be shipped to dealers. Ford is currently building 13 Aviators per hour at St. Louis on two different shifts. The part is supplied to Ford by an outside vendor. An estimated 1,000 Aviators cannot be shipped due to the alleged suspension problems.

Bill Ford had insisted that new product launches would take priority at Ford and strengthen customer's perception about the revival of quality at Ford. The continued problems have however, been seen by Ford workers as disheartening and disappointing. A day before the Lincoln Aviator was given the official approval from Ford to ship, A SLAP employee wrote to us "I sat inside one last week and it was like a Lear-Jet! EVERYTHING inside of the cabin is high-class."

Sources stated that Ford specifically instructed employees not to leak any information to BlueOvalNews.com.
Old 11-07-02, 02:16 PM
woody
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a Ford Explorer and can tell you the GX is definately larger and more roomy. I sat in a GX at one of the preview parties and it is extremely comfortable to sit in and quality of the materials is top notch(of course). I also went to the Toyota Dealership to preview the new 4Runner and was unimpressed with a few things: I'm 6'2" and my head was touching the roof. The interior was decent, but was too "plasticky" and unrefined. No 3rd seat option period.

I like the size of the GX because it is smaller than the Sequoia, but only by a little. I will say my only 2 dislikes about the GX were the rear side swinging door and how the 3rd row seats stow away (way to visible and awkward looking!). Regarding the engine difference in the GX vs the Aviator, the Motor Trend I just received stated 0-60 times for the Aviator at 8.1 and the GX at 8.3. That is not a noticable difference.
Old 11-07-02, 02:30 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

I will say my only 2 dislikes about the GX were the rear side swinging door and how the 3rd row seats stow away (way to visible and awkward looking!).
Can the 3rd row seats be taken out completely or just stowed away? You would think you can take them out to allow more cargo space.
Old 11-07-02, 04:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I would assume..

I would assume, by looking at pictures, that the 3rd row is very similar to the previous generation Land Cruiser/LX450. These stowed in much the same fashion, and were able to be taken out completely for more room. Not a very hard process, and the seats were rather light. I don't know though, haven't seen the car in person yet.
Old 11-07-02, 06:22 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Third row

Yeah the 3rd row of seats can also be removed all together...I actually like the fact that it is 2 pieces...my wife would be able to handle that on her own WTF was Ford thinking when they did the '02 and earlier Expeditions...my 3rd row weighs damn near 90 lbs and is very akward to carry...no way anyone's wifey will be able to remove if necessary.

I don't know, I'm not 100% out yet...like I said, if the GX can satisfy my needs 80-85% of the time I may be happy enough with that to get it. Kinda whimpy wheels though 17x7.5 !!???? Those'll be the first thing to go,,,not sure if I'd do a pushbar and fogs, or that I'd transfer my airhorns over (way too much work I think) I won't know for sure until I can actually touch and feel one.
Old 11-07-02, 10:37 PM
woody
Driver School Candidate

Anyone heard definitive pricing for base plus options?

'98 Explorer EB
'03 Nissan 350 Z Touring
Old 11-08-02, 02:22 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

You also gotta keep in mind though Woody, the new Explorer is a lot larger than ours (I have a 97 Limited).

I would say get the Lexus over the Lincoln or the Explorer if you're going to have the thing over 4 or so years. Mine has 125000 miles on it, and I'l tell you that it was a great truck until 77k. I was always like "What the hell are these people talking about Exploders?" well, at 77k the tranny went, and its been downhill from there. Its cost me $5,000 in service in the past 6 months and now the front end sounds like its going to come off. Its a really nice truck, but IMO and experience, they just aren't built to last like a Lexus. The things 5 years old, its had fantastic care taken of it, never been offroad, all service done right on time and its just falling down around my ***. Its sad because its a nice truck and I'd like to keep it...

If you decide you need something Sequoia sized, get a Sequoia. My dad has one and he loves it.

Last edited by SW03ES; 11-08-02 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 04:01 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of the Sequoia, what about this rumored VX540 that would be based off the next gen Sequoia platform, to supposedly replace the LX as the flagship Lexus truck in 2005?
Old 11-08-02, 07:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VX540

This is the rumored replacement for the LX, since it was reported that the LX/Land Cruiser platform, as we know it in the United States is going away. By then Toyota should also have a larger displacement V8 engine. The Sequoia, which will be updated then would be a good base for a new Lexus. No certain information, but in some related information, Toyota is planning to build a new full size truck/SUV plant in America soon. This would allow for increased production capacity.
Old 11-09-02, 06:33 PM
feets
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the GX third row seats come out. To do so, you unclip the hooks and lower the seat. Lift off the cover to the side hinge and press the red lever. The seat pops right out and the hinge bar can be used as a handle to carry them.
We had the GX at our dealership last night and it took me less than two minutes (without coaching) to figure out how to use and remove the seats.

The LX will move to the Sequoia platform in 2005. It will maintain the LX name.
Old 11-11-02, 11:33 PM
degeester
Rookie

Does anyone know the GVWR on the GX-470? It's important for tax reasons.
Old 11-13-02, 09:53 PM
woody
Driver School Candidate

I checked into this very senario because of tax reasons. I went to one of the previews and physically looked at the GVWR on the door and it is 6100lbs.........just what we need to get that deduction. Hope that helps.