GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Earlier 470s & front axle replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 08:21 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Earlier 470s & front axle replacement?

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you had had experience with needing the front (left/right) axles replaced. My '03 has about 107k on it, and when it was up on the rack getting an oil change the other day, the mechanic pointed out some leaking along the axles on both sides. The quote wasn't actually horrific at $175/side. Is this a wear/tear kind of component? I don't really care about paying to fix it since it's not the typical ***-puckering price typically associated with this vehicle. I'd just never heard of this needing replacement before. Just curious.
Old 05-07-12, 08:58 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, front axles need replacing. CV joints can go bad or you can tear the boot and loose grease.

If the $175 per side includes labor too that price isnt bad at all.
Old 05-08-12, 05:01 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cv boots and bootys go bad all the time on all cars - had these things happening way well before the 150k mile mark on previous cars i owned... common enough
Old 02-19-13, 06:51 PM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Reboot vs Replace Axles is what i am debating as well.

1. The dealer wants $1100 to do the boot repairs
The local garage doesn't have the tools to do the boot repair.
2. The dealer wants $1600 to replace the axles
The local garage does have the tools to replace the axles and can do it for $1100 using OEM parts.

What are your thoughts? Currently, the boots are just starting to leak, that is it.

thanks!
Old 02-19-13, 06:58 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXBriGuy
Reboot vs Replace Axles is what i am debating as well.

1. The dealer wants $1100 to do the boot repairs
The local garage doesn't have the tools to do the boot repair.
2. The dealer wants $1600 to replace the axles
The local garage does have the tools to replace the axles and can do it for $1100 using OEM parts.

What are your thoughts? Currently, the boots are just starting to leak, that is it.

thanks!
Might just be the boots that need replacing. I would get a second opinion. Oem Boot kit costs about $65. Comes with inner and outer boots plus the clamps and grease.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-13-19)
Old 02-19-13, 08:59 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Might just be the boots that need replacing. I would get a second opinion. Oem Boot kit costs about $65. Comes with inner and outer boots plus the clamps and grease.
+1

Get the OEM Toyota Boot kit... for both sides (less than $200 total) and have a good, reliable independent shop reboot both CV axles. It does NOT require special tools.
I did it myself, on my driveway...in 2.5 hrs / side. I had to rent the socket for the giant axle nut from the local parts store.
Not a hard job to do. I saved a ton of $$$ vs paying the dealer.

Only if you current axles are "clicking" or grinding, then you need NEW axles.
Old 02-20-13, 06:08 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-20-13, 11:49 AM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into the same issue, I wasn't willing to pay outrageous shop prices to replace the boots on both sides. My passenger side was grinding on turns so that axle had to be replaced. I just replaced both front axles myself in the driveway. Took about 3 hours, (having to run to autozone to get the correct axle nut socket made it take longer). I've had the new axles on there for about 5 months now and no issues yet. I know some prefer OEM axles (new, remanu) but I took a gamble and went with some aftermarket ones off Rock Auto for 44$ a piece.

If you got a shop that is quoting 175$ per axle including labor, jump on that. Assuming you trust the shop to begin with.
Old 02-21-13, 05:07 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$175 a side is cheap. Toyota dealer quoted me $279 a side for aftermarket axles. I called 4 independents and none of them would re-boot. They would only replace with an aftermarket. Lowest independent price I found in Central FL was $225.
Old 02-21-13, 05:56 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

I am going to do a closer look at the CV Boots themselves and their clamps. If the leaks are just coming from the clamped areas, i will probably re-clamp before Re-booting or new axles.
Old 02-21-13, 12:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bauer26
I ran into the same issue, I wasn't willing to pay outrageous shop prices to replace the boots on both sides. My passenger side was grinding on turns so that axle had to be replaced. I just replaced both front axles myself in the driveway. Took about 3 hours, (having to run to autozone to get the correct axle nut socket made it take longer). I've had the new axles on there for about 5 months now and no issues yet. I know some prefer OEM axles (new, remanu) but I took a gamble and went with some aftermarket ones off Rock Auto for 44$ a piece.

If you got a shop that is quoting 175$ per axle including labor, jump on that. Assuming you trust the shop to begin with.
How many miles on those Rock Auto Axles for $44 a piece
Old 02-21-13, 02:17 PM
bauer26
Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
How many miles on those Rock Auto Axles for $44 a piece
So far, 8-10k

Cardone Select

Last edited by bauer26; 02-21-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 04:12 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

So far, 8-10k

Cardone Select
Any off roading or rough driving on them? For that price might try it.
Old 02-21-13, 09:22 PM
bauer26
Driver

No real rough driving or off roading per say. 20 miles a day on pot hole stricken streets on the way to work and the occasional back country dirt roads of west Texas. Other than that the miles are all city streets and Interstate.

I climb under the truck once a week to check the boots and the seal with the axle and transmission. I keep expecting to find a bad axle but havent yet, knock on wood.
Old 02-21-13, 09:53 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

No real rough driving or off roading per say. 20 miles a day on pot hole stricken streets on the way to work and the occasional back country dirt roads of west Texas. Other than that the miles are all city streets and Interstate.

I climb under the truck once a week to check the boots and the seal with the axle and transmission. I keep expecting to find a bad axle but havent yet, knock on wood.
Not trying to jack the thread with my questions. However I think they help this thread as well as me. With that said the price is lower than the full boot kit! How does this work? Do you buy the axle and send them your used one? Is it a refurb OEM axle?

Quick Reply: Earlier 470s & front axle replacement?