GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 05:23 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
What do you mean when you say the "Lexus go to sleep"? If you don't know how to test the battery take it to Toyota and have them test it since you bought it from them. If not swing by Autozone / O'Reillys etc. they can test it for you.
tha dealership told me they were waiting for the Lexus to sleep meaning all the bells and whistle had shut off , making sure nothing was not shutting down when the auto was off .

Yes O"Reallys here I come ,
thank you
Old 12-21-13, 05:27 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

apologizes to all who are helping , I'm new to all things auto related .
Old 12-23-13, 12:21 PM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

Tipler, I live in SE Wisconsin and I always carry a voltmeter and load tester with me. If you are in this corner of the state (or headed to the Packer game next weekend), send me a PM and we can arrange to meet.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 12-23-13, 04:19 PM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the op. no extra loads 4 yr old battery completely dead = $170 to replace the battery ...I could get nearly any battery on the market new with a longer warranty for that price.
Old 12-29-13, 05:17 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Tipler, I live in SE Wisconsin and I always carry a voltmeter and load tester with me. If you are in this corner of the state (or headed to the Packer game next weekend), send me a PM and we can arrange to meet.

Jim McIlvaine
Jim, thanks , I live in the Northern Wi area/ border MI
what would the voltage and load tell me ?

One would think Toyota would of done the test when I had the GX in for the battery the third time , took 3 times to get battery switched out which I'm being told was a full charged battery. Go figure I drive 75 miles to Toyota Dealer to tell me it's fully charged .

Thanks again for the offer !
Old 12-29-13, 05:41 AM
fantic
Rookie

I started having battery problems with my 06 CPO GX about 6 months ago. Couldn't find any thing wrong. About 3 weeks ago the engine light came on. Since it is under warranty they came and got it put in a new battery and charged me around $350! I complained but was told the battery is not covered under warranty. The battery was 33 months old. Does anyone know what the warranty would be on the battery itself?
Old 12-30-13, 04:38 AM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tipler
Jim, thanks , I live in the Northern Wi area/ border MI
what would the voltage and load tell me ?

One would think Toyota would of done the test when I had the GX in for the battery the third time , took 3 times to get battery switched out which I'm being told was a full charged battery. Go figure I drive 75 miles to Toyota Dealer to tell me it's fully charged .

Thanks again for the offer !
Battery voltage is kind of the electrical equivalent of a fuel gauge and tells you how much energy is in the electrical fuel tank. Fully-charged batteries should measure at least 12.6 volts. A load-test on a fully-charged battery should yield test results measure in cold cranking amps that give you an idea of whether or not a battery rated at 600 CCAs (or whatever the number is) can actually produce that on demand.

fantic, who originally installed the 33-month old battery and did you receive any paperwork with it? Warranties terms and conditions can vary widely.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 12-30-13, 08:58 AM
fantic
Rookie

When I bought my 06 CPO I was told that they had installed a new battery. It was the Lexus battery.
Old 12-31-13, 07:38 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Battery voltage is kind of the electrical equivalent of a fuel gauge and tells you how much energy is in the electrical fuel tank. Fully-charged batteries should measure at least 12.6 volts. A load-test on a fully-charged battery should yield test results measure in cold cranking amps that give you an idea of whether or not a battery rated at 600 CCAs (or whatever the number is) can actually produce that on demand.

fantic, who originally installed the 33-month old battery and did you receive any paperwork with it? Warranties terms and conditions can vary widely.

Jim McIlvaine
the toyota dealership installed the battery , I did receive the paperwork from the dealership when they replaced the third battery .

I'm being told that I may need a more crank battery ???
thanks for your help Jim
Old 12-31-13, 08:34 AM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

Did the paperwork from the dealership include warranty information and was the third battery the same battery that lasted 33 months? Generally, batteries should meet or exceed the CCA requirements for the engine.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 12-31-13, 12:40 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the toyota dealership installed the battery , I did receive the paperwork from the dealership when they replaced the third battery .

I'm being told that I may need a more crank battery ???
thanks for your help Jim
So do you or do you not have a battery that works?

If you do, great, if not stop wasting time and go to Autozone, Sears etc. and buy a battery that works then go back to the dealer and return your Toyota battery and get your money back. If your dealer can't get a battery to work out of 3 tries either something is wrong w/ that dealer and or their supplies or something is wrong w/ your GX.
Old 01-10-14, 11:06 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Did the paperwork from the dealership include warranty information and was the third battery the same battery that lasted 33 months? Generally, batteries should meet or exceed the CCA requirements for the engine.

Jim McIlvaine
Jim my first battery lasted 10 years and then I put the new battery in from Toyota , that's where the issue is from , now fro 2 years they have put in 2 toyota batterie doing the same ,
Heck we had -21 degrees and the bells and whistles at the turn of key was not even starting up until a few seconds then bingo the turn over happen .

I'm going to see about having a different battery put in and NOT A TOYOTA Battery .

Thanks again Jim ,
If it wasn't for a Lexus dealer being 200 miles away I'd have it replaced at a Lexus Dealer and then let it be their issue .
Old 01-10-14, 11:54 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not been impressed with my recent Toyota battery at all esp by comparison with the one it replaced that lasted a good 5 or 6 yrs. This new one (3yrs old) is **** and does not have the CCA needed when the temps really drop, which has left me to get a jump on more than one occassion. Happened again during this last cold snap, so I said the hell iwth it, I am getting a new battery because I am not gonig to be stranded on cold night in an airport parkig lot

My new Odessy battery arrived on my door steop this afternoon. Can't wait to get this baby in!
Old 01-12-14, 04:00 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cssnms
I have not been impressed with my recent Toyota battery at all esp by comparison with the one it replaced that lasted a good 5 or 6 yrs. This new one (3yrs old) is **** and does not have the CCA needed when the temps really drop, which has left me to get a jump on more than one occassion. Happened again during this last cold snap, so I said the hell iwth it, I am getting a new battery because I am not gonig to be stranded on cold night in an airport parkig lot

My new Odessy battery arrived on my door steop this afternoon. Can't wait to get this baby in!
thank you I have my answer , I'm going to replace this toyota battery with a different battery ,
Odessy battery sounds great , thank you for someone telling me toyota battery is ****.
Toyota dealer is telling me the Toyota battery has the cranking power I need BULL ,

End of my story
Old 01-12-14, 05:27 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

thank you I have my answer , I'm going to replace this toyota battery with a different battery ,
Odessy battery sounds great , thank you for someone telling me toyota battery is ****.
Toyota dealer is telling me the Toyota battery has the cranking power I need BULL ,

End of my story
I have an Odessy battery thread a few down from here. It's pricey but by most accounts it is considered one of the best batteries on the market. Make sure to pick up the one with the reverse terminals "R34".

Quick Reply: Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke