GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 04:03 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I bought a lithium-ion battery for my motorcycle. It's a 15 amp/hr. The darn battery is so light that you'd swear there was nothing inside the plastic case! Instead of using this battery on the motorcycle, I installed it on my mountain bike. My mountain bike has a 16 watt (rms) mp3 sound system, Tom Tom GPS, (3) high power LED headlights, and several hidden strips of green LEDs. For winter, I'm running the bike on Hakkapeliitta 700 x 40 cm studed snow tires. Still need to add MORE green LEDs and a high intensity red tail light to replace the current tail light.
Old 12-14-13, 04:16 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember reading this awhile back. I wonder if that's why we want to stick around in Afghanistan?

"An internal Pentagon memo states that Afghanistan may become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium.""
http://www.dailytech.com/US+Discover...ticle18701.htm
Old 12-19-13, 05:28 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Headache with New Battery

Ok here's my issue , purchased a new battery for my 2004 GX , I should of never got a new battery, old one was fine but was worried with Northern Wi winters time to replace for the 9 years age of battery ?
So now with new toyota 27 series battery, it starts like crap , one day if fires like a snap next time I start it hesitates to start then the next time it's fine , took to dealer and they told me it was fine then next visit they wanted to put a new battery idid and also let the GX so to sleep so everything would be off ,and now it's doing it again .
Any help why this is happening ?

Thanks
Old 12-19-13, 06:57 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tipler
Ok here's my issue , purchased a new battery for my 2004 GX , I should of never got a new battery, old one was fine but was worried with Northern Wi winters time to replace for the 9 years age of battery ?
So now with new toyota 27 series battery, it starts like crap , one day if fires like a snap next time I start it hesitates to start then the next time it's fine , took to dealer and they told me it was fine then next visit they wanted to put a new battery idid and also let the GX so to sleep so everything would be off ,and now it's doing it again .
Any help why this is happening ?

Thanks
Are the battery posts and the inside surfaces of the +/- post connectors squeaky clean?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=battery+post

Last edited by 470reasons; 12-19-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 09:40 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard very good things about odyssey batteries, and have used one with good results in my boat. I'm about 7 years-in on my OEM battery. i'll likely buy an odyssey when the OEM one gives up.

Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

the above seems to be the right battery for our trucks, based on a search on:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/batterysearch/
Old 12-20-13, 05:03 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Are the battery posts and the inside surfaces of the +/- post connectors squeaky clean?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=battery+post
That's a good question , I had this done at the Toyota dealership .

would I be able to tell if I looked inside the hood @the battery posts ?

thanks
Old 12-20-13, 12:13 PM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

What is the voltage of your battery?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 12-20-13, 04:00 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OptimaJim

Jim McIlvaine

I would have to ask unless you can tell me where to fine it on the battery?

All I know is that they told me it was a 27 series battery, when I bought it
Old 12-20-13, 04:09 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Jim McIlvaine

All I know is that they told me it was a 27 series battery, and when I called the Lexus dealer I was told the Toyota Battery would be fine as long as it was the 27 series .

Thanks
Old 12-20-13, 04:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

All I know is that they told me it was a 27 series battery, and when I called the Lexus dealer I was told the Toyota Battery would be fine as long as it was the 27 series .

Thanks
I think he wanted to know what the voltage registered on a volt meter You would have to take a meter and test the voltage with the motor off and then the voltage with the motor running

All modern auto batteries are 12 volt
Old 12-20-13, 07:20 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

That's a good question , I had this done at the Toyota dealership .

would I be able to tell if I looked inside the hood @the battery posts ?

thanks
You'd have to take the battery cables off of the battery to inspect and clean them. Don't disconnect the battery before you read up on what you have to do restore the power window functions!
Old 12-21-13, 09:18 AM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
I apologize for not being clearer. I was wondering what the voltage level is of your battery. This explains how to measure battery voltage.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 12-21-13, 11:43 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

I apologize for not being clearer. I was wondering what the voltage level is of your battery. This explains how to measure battery voltage.

Jim McIlvaine
NO problem , I did ask after they took the battery put and put the new battery in how the old battery was and they told me the old battery was good ,

I'm not going to disconnect as I have no clue what has to be done after wards ,

That's a good reply Optima Jim , they did tell me if they had more time they might of did more , Well I was in no hurry , just take out battery and put new battery in and let the Lexus go to sleep and see if there was anything still powered up , nope it went to sleep , things were fine .

Happens not everyday , one day Lexus fires up fine , then after a few tries then back to few cranks before it pops over . I want to say it grunts to start .

What other option would I have ?

The Lexus always starts
Old 12-21-13, 12:03 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you mean when you say the "Lexus go to sleep"? If you don't know how to test the battery take it to Toyota and have them test it since you bought it from them. If not swing by Autozone / O'Reillys etc. they can test it for you.
Old 12-21-13, 12:32 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
What do you mean when you say the "Lexus go to sleep"? If you don't know how to test the battery take it to Toyota and have them test it since you bought it from them. If not swing by Autozone / O'Reillys etc. they can test it for you.
I don't understand the op problem. Everyone has made suggestions as to what should be done but the confusion continues. The forum works very well for most even those with limited experience with todays complicated cars. I would suggest that the OP just suck it up stop throwing money at a problem blindly and just go to the dealer and get it fixed. Its cheaper in the long run and you have a warranty on work done if it does not fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke