GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke

Old 12-13-13, 12:01 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
My 2004 GX470 has an 84-month Lexus battery. No maintenance record on 'mylexus' to indicate the battery has ever been changed. It was -4F yesterday and the GX started just fine. Where does it say Panasonic on the original battery? I don't see any brand markings other than Lexus 84-month. The year and date circles are not punched out, so I can't tell when the battery was installed. Is the PANASONIC brand easy to see with the battery mounted in the car?
I believe it's on the side of the battery, so you'd have to pull it out to see it. Often they have white plastic side panels that you might be able to see with it still in the truck.
Old 12-13-13, 12:28 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The Lexus brand replacement batteries are Interstate brand batteries labeled as Lexus. What comes from the factory are Panasonic. Interstate makes a better battery that you can purchase at an Interstate dealer. It's called a Mega Tron Plus and it has more cold cranking amps than the Lexus replacement battery.
Old 12-13-13, 03:19 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

What about personal experiences with different Brands?

In all my years of car ownership, the two I've had the best of luck with were a Bosch Battery in my old Landcruiser which lasted 8 years, and I currently have a "Werker" branded battery from Batteries Plus in my 4Runner which has been surprisingly good. Its been in there since 2005 with heavy Sub-woofer and aftermarket accessory loads, and it still fired right up even with the -15 degree Colorado weather last week.

Now, Wal-Mart "Everstart" batteries look good on paper with their high CCAs and lower prices, but of the few I've tried they only seem to last about 4 years before they start going south!

Now crucify me if you feel like it, but My dad and i Put an Optima Red top in our old 78' Landcruiser FJ40 a few years back, and that honestly was one of the worst batteries I've ever dealt with. within less than a year it wouldn't hold a charge at all, and was replaced with a standard interstate battery which has held up well for a few years now.

It may have been a defect, but my Dad of course didn't save his receipt so the warranty was useless. I don't foresee myself buying one of those anytime ever again though just from my experience.
Old 12-13-13, 07:51 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

I've had good experiences with kirkland signature/costco batteries.
Old 12-13-13, 09:35 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My '08 GX needed a replacement battery at ~4yrs.
Old 12-13-13, 10:22 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
What about personal experiences with different Brands?.
I would suggest to go with Optima Red or Optima Yellow. They're by far the best batteries on the market.
Old 12-14-13, 05:01 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
I would suggest to go with Optima Red or Optima Yellow. They're by far the best batteries on the market.
LOL no they're not. As P.E. says, don't believe the hype!
Old 12-14-13, 09:44 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
LOL no they're not. As P.E. says, don't believe the hype!
Hype or not, I have one my in older 4Runner and the battery performs perfectly after 8+ years.
Old 12-14-13, 10:30 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Hype or not, I have one my in older 4Runner and the battery performs perfectly after 8+ years.
Consider yourself lucky.
Old 12-14-13, 10:35 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Consider yourself lucky.
I'm not the only person who gets long life out of Optima. They're really good batteries. We all have our opinions.

I had my Optima battery killed a number of times, it always came back to life. I had my alternator go out and still was able to get home just on the battery.
Old 12-14-13, 10:53 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I'm not the only person who gets long life out of Optima. They're really good batteries. We all have our opinions.
Whatever floats your boat.
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (01-15-18)
Old 12-14-13, 12:11 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had my Optima battery killed a number of times, it always came back to life. I had my alternator go out and still was able to get home just on the battery.
Optima batteries used to be good, now they're made in Mexico if I remember correctly and they're not anywhere near as good as they used to be. I had a red top years ago that was good. I wouldn't purchase one of the current Optima batteries. I've had good luck with Interstate batteries.
Old 12-14-13, 01:21 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Craig B
Optima batteries used to be good, now they're made in Mexico if I remember correctly and they're not anywhere near as good as they used to be. I had a red top years ago that was good. I wouldn't purchase one of the current Optima batteries. I've had good luck with Interstate batteries.
X2, Optima got bought a number of years ago, and the quality went WAY down. Old ones were great, new ones are not worth the money.
Old 12-14-13, 03:10 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
X2, Optima got bought a number of years ago, and the quality went WAY down. Old ones were great, new ones are not worth the money.
The next generation of batteries should be awesome. Iron phosphate and other new tech is coming .
Its already here now motorcycle batteries are evolving.
Old 12-14-13, 03:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/auto.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus 84 Month Battery A Joke