Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Air Suspension Problems on GX470

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-12, 06:45 PM   #1
DKong
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: M
Posts: 8
Default Air Suspension Problems on GX470

FYI...I had problems with the air suspension on my 2004 GX470. At first I thought it was the ECU that controls the air suspension (Part #89293-60031) especially since both the right & left side were causing problems but it wasn't which would have been an easy fix.

The problem was the height control sensors for both the left & right rear. I had no choice but to get it fixed at the dealer. Part cost was about $450 each & labor/misc about $275 - total $1,175. I know it was crazy to pay that much but the guy who regularly fixes my car on the cheap couldn't figure the problem out.

If you have a good repair guy & have a similar problem, the part numbers are 89407-60022 (right rear sensor) & 89408-60011 (left rear sensor). I think different online part sites for Lexus shows the parts listed for about $290 each.

I didn't save any money but I hope this information will be helpful to someone & save him or her a lot of $$$$.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
DKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 07:01 PM   #2
tz693
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 104
Default

Thanks for the info. What was the symptom of the problem?
__________________
2004 GX Blizzard Pearl
HID Headlight
tz693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:01 PM   #3
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKong View Post
FYI...I had problems with the air suspension on my 2004 GX470. At first I thought it was the ECU that controls the air suspension (Part #89293-60031) especially since both the right & left side were causing problems but it wasn't which would have been an easy fix.

The problem was the height control sensors for both the left & right rear. I had no choice but to get it fixed at the dealer. Part cost was about $450 each & labor/misc about $275 - total $1,175. I know it was crazy to pay that much but the guy who regularly fixes my car on the cheap couldn't figure the problem out.

If you have a good repair guy & have a similar problem, the part numbers are 89407-60022 (right rear sensor) & 89408-60011 (left rear sensor). I think different online part sites for Lexus shows the parts listed for about $290 each.

I didn't save any money but I hope this information will be helpful to someone & save him or her a lot of $$$$.

What were the symptoms of the problems you were experiencing?
__________________
2006 GX470 Blizzard Pearl
XenonDepot Volt HID kit Low/Fog 4300K

2005 RX330 Thundercloud Edition (sold)
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 05:55 AM   #4
Ancient
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 273
Default

Did the ride height sensors fix your problem?????
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 08:58 AM   #5
02SDGS
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
02SDGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 4,666
Default

I don't own a g, but i know that there are no real signs that the sensor is going bad, but when it does, the car will not be level, or in the GX's case, the rear end usually raises to the highest position, or you just can't move the air suspension
02SDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 06:45 AM   #6
DKong
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: M
Posts: 8
Default Fixed

Yes...replacing sensors fixed the problem. You will know when the sensors go bad because the height of the rear will go either really high or low & stay fixed at that height intermitently. The rear is suppose to adjust to normal when you reach a certain speed but it will not go to normal. The car will be really bumpy when the suspension stays fixed at high. I even tried removing the fuse for this feature after the height of the rear was at normal but the ride was too bumpy.

When the sensors go bad, you will know as the rear of the car will have a mind of its own.
DKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:59 AM   #7
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKong View Post
Yes...replacing sensors fixed the problem. You will know when the sensors go bad because the height of the rear will go either really high or low & stay fixed at that height intermitently. The rear is suppose to adjust to normal when you reach a certain speed but it will not go to normal. The car will be really bumpy when the suspension stays fixed at high. I even tried removing the fuse for this feature after the height of the rear was at normal but the ride was too bumpy.

When the sensors go bad, you will know as the rear of the car will have a mind of its own.
Good info. Thanks for posting.
__________________
2006 GX470 Blizzard Pearl
XenonDepot Volt HID kit Low/Fog 4300K

2005 RX330 Thundercloud Edition (sold)
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 04:46 PM   #8
masboy
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (29)
 
masboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,078
Default

Dkong, how many miles u have in ur 04 ? i have 04 too. thx for posting this!
__________________
masboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 08:04 PM   #9
DKong
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: M
Posts: 8
Default

About 85,000 miles
DKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 09:43 PM   #10
Muti007
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Muti007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 506
Default

Man these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes.
__________________
LS430
GX470
AP2 S2000
08 Honda Shadow Spirit
Love all, trust a few, do harm to none....William Shakespeare
Muti007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 11:36 PM   #11
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muti007 View Post
Man these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes.
maybe op did some offroading - onroad driving shouldn't cause this much havoc i hope?
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 04:21 AM   #12
Muti007
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Muti007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 506
Default

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember when researching the GX last year the air suspension had a few components that were relatively common for failure, these sensors being among them.
__________________
LS430
GX470
AP2 S2000
08 Honda Shadow Spirit
Love all, trust a few, do harm to none....William Shakespeare
Muti007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:43 AM   #13
Lac
Driver
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Default

DKong:
Thanks for the info. I have '04 model as well and am nervous about these sensors .. .
__________________
'04 GX470
'91 LS400
'04 LS430
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 10:32 AM   #14
clubsport
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 380
Default

yeah, suspension work isn't easy especially on this truck with so many extra parts, and the fact that it is a full size heavy as heck truck makes it even more intimidating to work on so i see lots of expenses i am gonna have to accept as i don't like to do electrical and suspension myself... oh well
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 01:14 PM   #15
2OnyxLexus
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 51
Default

I wonder if it affects the 05 too. I seem to have the same symptoms as dkong. My ride seems really rough. Like he said, a mind of its own. But I chalked it up to be worn out shocks since I don't see any codes popping up. Does a code pop up if the sensors are bad? The truck lifts when I start it up and lowers when I shut it off. And lowers and raises when I use the height control. The ride quality really sucks when I think of it. If the sensors are bad I gonna take it in to get it fixed. Extended warranty covers it. Dkong, does this sound like your symptoms too?
2OnyxLexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 01:14 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking Rear Air Suspension gc9538 GX - First Generation 8 08-17-13 09:48 AM
Check Air Conditioner warning message!!!! Avatar GX - First Generation 9 05-20-13 07:13 PM
Suspension - Bottoming Out Crispy3M GX - First Generation 23 04-20-13 08:03 PM
Air suspension Problems on 2004 GX 470 BigWyll GX - First Generation 2 09-08-12 08:46 PM
any lexus techs? chrisvr6 Maintenance 5 01-29-10 08:39 AM


Tags
04, 2004, 470, air, clublexus, control, gx, gx470, height, inspect, lexus, ls430, problems, reliability, ride, sensor, sensors, suspension

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info