GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Old 09-25-14, 06:38 AM
getiton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 470SNC
^did you use the metaltech kit, for the lights theres a fuse you can pull
I did use the metaltech kit. In all my forum searching I could have sworn there was a third fuse somewhere but could only find the two (1-50A, 1-10A) under the hood. There doesn't seem to be one in the panel by the steering wheel. Now I can't find the link to tricking the system (if there was one, it's kind of a blur now)
Old 09-25-14, 06:50 AM
getiton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Wish I could help you on the blinking dash light, but I have not yet done the conversion. How do the 4runner springs feel and do they retain the stock height of the truck? Thanks. I am thinking about doing this conversion in the next year or so. Thanks.
IMO the springs are a little on the soft side, and the ride height is maybe a half an inch low aesthetically. It's my mother in law's car and she likes the ride and doesn't notice the height. I'd go with the FJ springs if I had to do it over, I think the height would come just right, and they are a little beefier IIRC.

Also, one tip for all those tackling this job. be sure to disconnect the shocks on the bottom while the jack is under the rear diff. and before you rest the vehicle on the jack stands. You'll want to raise the rear as high as possible. Then when you lower it down onto the stands you'll have plenty of clearance to put in the springs won't even need a spring compressor tool.
Old 02-19-15, 12:24 PM
P476777
Driver School Candidate

Default bouncy ride

Saw this thread on comically bouncy ride. I am having this problem, though intermittently. Any little bump makes a great big boing. I just purchased this 2005 Lexus GX470 and it wasn't doing it initially. Can anyone help me to make sure I am properly adjusting/ setting the High/ Low height? I put it in park, with ignition on, and try to adjust but it doesn't seem to be moving and no indicator that tells me which position it is in. By the sounds of it it may be stuck in the high position? Any help would be welcomed. This truck is only 3 weeks old.
Thanks!
Old 02-19-15, 12:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by P476777
Saw this thread on comically bouncy ride. I am having this problem, though intermittently. Any little bump makes a great big boing. I just purchased this 2005 Lexus GX470 and it wasn't doing it initially. Can anyone help me to make sure I am properly adjusting/ setting the High/ Low height? I put it in park, with ignition on, and try to adjust but it doesn't seem to be moving and no indicator that tells me which position it is in. By the sounds of it it may be stuck in the high position? Any help would be welcomed. This truck is only 3 weeks old.
Thanks!
There are 3 setting switch is on middle console. H is high N is normal L is low.

With engine running press switch to high you should see a dash light blinking that indicates the air
pump is running Once is stops the suspension for the rear should be as high as it gets Then press it down to low and it should lower the rear to the lowest setting. Then press switch to N normal and the air suspension will raise to normal height . If you try to drive the car in high or low the compressor will automatically lower it or raise it when you get over a certain speed [ Look in your manual it will tell you ] The dash light if it is flashing is raising or lowering the suspension once it stops flashing that will indicate what position the air bag is in
Old 03-25-15, 08:13 AM
4runnerada
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at buying an 03 GX470. Has 183k miles.

Im not familiar with this truck, but I have read most of these pages in this thread, and have a general idea of how the setup works.

This truck seems to be ok, raises and lowers as it should at rest. Never paid attention to it on a short test drive that I went on, but when I go back I will.

One thing I don't understand is the "off" button, it doesnt seem to do anything. Never lights up, press it and it doesnt stay in or anything.

Can anyone explain the function and use of the off button?

What else should I look for on this high mileage truck?
Old 03-25-15, 10:45 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 4runnerada

Im not familiar with this truck, but I have read most of these pages in this thread, and have a general idea of how the setup works.

This truck seems to be ok, raises and lowers as it should at rest. Never paid attention to it on a short test drive that I went on, but when I go back I will.

One thing I don't understand is the "off" button, it doesnt seem to do anything. Never lights up, press it and it doesnt stay in or anything.

Off should appear on the dashboard. Off means the rear suspension will not self level
Old 03-25-15, 11:20 AM
4runnerada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Off should appear on the dashboard. Off means the rear suspension will not self level

Ahhhh...that makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-15, 10:36 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 4runnerada

I have 171K miles on my 2004 GX470. No problems with the truck, routine maintenance really. I believe my vehicle has a lot of life left in it.

With 183K miles, you need to start thinking about the timing belt soon. I think it is every 90k or 100k miles. You might want to just get it out of the way sooner rather than later as an insurance policy on a potential known mode of failure.
Old 06-07-15, 04:12 PM
JoshuaIvan
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheap/temporary fix

So, I have the typical issue, sometimes it works, sometimes not. No codes, Lexus dealer changed the sensor. When it stays pumped up it stays up, but add much weight and down to the ground we go(sometimes).
I'm wondering, can I put a valve stem in the system by clamping into one of the rubber hoses? Then I'm trying to figure out where the pressure releases, so I could cap that off. Is there a dump valve or something?
I know, sounds like rubber bands & duct tape, but it would be cheap! Then probably swap it all out with springs when I actually have the time.
Oh & if you would, please post a link for a good set to swap with.
Thank you in advance!
Josh
Old 06-07-15, 04:16 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaIvan
So, I have the typical issue, sometimes it works, sometimes not. No codes, Lexus dealer changed the sensor. When it stays pumped up it stays up, but add much weight and down to the ground we go(sometimes).
I'm wondering, can I put a valve stem in the system by clamping into one of the rubber hoses? Then I'm trying to figure out where the pressure releases, so I could cap that off. Is there a dump valve or something?
I know, sounds like rubber bands & duct tape, but it would be cheap! Then probably swap it all out with springs when I actually have the time.
Oh & if you would, please post a link for a good set to swap with.
Thank you in advance!
Josh
Sounds like a leaking air bag perhaps at one of the creases or folds. Mine would have to pump up every morning. Changed both air bags problem solved
Old 06-07-15, 11:56 PM
JoshuaIvan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
Sounds like a leaking air bag perhaps at one of the creases or folds. Mine would have to pump up every morning. Changed both air bags problem solved
It will stay up for days and then just randomly drop. I hit a speed bump a little hard,after driving 40miles, and then super rough. Never pumped up. Tried turning it off & waiting in hopes that the pump would reset and kick in, and nothing. Looong ride home. The switch doesn't raise or lower it, but my wife says that when she parks she hits the off button, and usually it will keep it from dropping down. I looked under it in the garage tonight, and it is resting on the rubber stops.
The Lexus dealer had it a full two weeks, (free loaner & diagnostic at least), before it acted up, and of course they want to replace the compressor/pump. I think they just want to throw parts at it until something works.
Old 06-08-15, 02:19 AM
ALAN553
Racer

It may be the pump too but there is a leak in the air bag
Old 06-08-15, 08:40 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear suspension

ok here is my issue....the rear does not automatically raise and lower as it should in normally. so what I have been doing is that when I park the car I raise the rear to the high position...of course as you drive faster it lowers normally and the ride is fairly good. However I do this every time I park the vehicle....for the day or overnight it stays in the raised high position. If I do not do this and I start driving it is like I run in to a cement wall with just a normal bump in the road etc. Seems to work right now but not a long term fix. I am thinking this may be the electronic parts that raise and lower the rear automatically....any thoughts on what this may be. BTW original owner and 237K miles.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
shmeve (12-02-21)
Old 06-08-15, 09:11 AM
ALAN553
Racer

I still say it's a pin hole leak in air springs that closes up on full inflation....wrinkle the rubber a little and the hole opens up....not too many parts here, height sensors, solenoid reservoir and air bags...it's usually the part that holds the air, it's only rubber, time, air and road salt.
Old 06-08-15, 12:06 PM
JoshuaIvan
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I still say it's a pin hole leak in air springs that closes up on full inflation....wrinkle the rubber a little and the hole opens up....not too many parts here, height sensors, solenoid reservoir and air bags...it's usually the part that holds the air, it's only rubber, time, air and road salt.
Thank you guys.
I wanted to get every possible symptom out there that I can think of. Definitely prefer listening to real people that have dealt with this, over a shop that is in the business of making money! Sometimes a different perspective on a problem can open my mind. I don't claim to be a mechanic! I can turn the wrenches, but this is my lady's ride. A little more complicated rig than what I am used to.
My wife has been so frustrated that she's ready to trade it in and lose a ton of money. The GX only has about 108k on it, and runs like a champ. I believe it's a real solid rig. Just not really into taking a pounding...on the road or at the shop!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions