GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 08:42 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgf49er
I've owned my '04 GX since October 2003 now with 165k. I'm not experiencing any issues with air shockes but I also do not tow anything more than once a year. I do however load hit up with people and supplies in the back multiple times a year. I'm not having any issues with the air shocks. I check with my mechanic who use to work for Lexus to make sure I don't have any issues down the road. So far it's great with only the normal wear tear issues of brakes windshield wipers and light bulbs.
going back to Lexus today. Rear has been dropping down while driving and not coming back until I either turn it off and restart engine or I manually raise it. No blinking lights on Height control, I can raise and lower suspension normally but for some reason every so often suspension drops w hile driving and does not come back up. I can tell immediatly when I am riding on the axle. It seems the height sensors are working, maybe just not communicating with computer? I read somewhere here that after you clear codes from ECU you should not clear DTC C1735. I wonder if mechanic knew that or if that is even the problem. Let you know..
Old 01-20-14, 10:15 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
going back to Lexus today. Rear has been dropping down while driving and not coming back until I either turn it off and restart engine or I manually raise it.
Damn that sucks to pay that hefty bills and still have a problem. I hope they don't fine a "new" failure so you don't have to come out of pocket this time. We should start nick-naming our GX the BOAT....

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 01-20-14, 12:49 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Damn that sucks to pay that hefty bills and still have a problem. I hope they don't fine a "new" failure so you don't have to come out of pocket this time. We should start nick-naming our GX the BOAT....

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Just dropped it off. Reminded them that I thought 4 hours labor at 125/hour was a bit high in the first place....they are a pretty honorable dealership, They offered me a free loaner which I did not need, I told them thanks, just fix the truck!!! Let you all know tomorrow what the verdict is. Maybe just a ECU programming thing.
Old 01-22-14, 01:03 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Just picked it up, all they did was recheck for error codes...none. So I found this post..

.Only one important thing the dealer should remember that there is Code DTC C1735 is not removed and it should be retained in the Suspension Control ECU.

And I showed it to them...they obviously remove all codes. I asked if this one should remain? Height control works properly from switch, no blinking light. If suspension is at normal height when I turn it off, it is still there in the morning. But I am losing height while driving and the system does not bing it back up unless I do it manually, or a shut off engine and restart, compressor raises is. What is this DTC C1735 code? How does it figure into the problem. Are sensors not communicating with ECU? Can it still be sensors without fault codes? They told me to bring it back next week. They are short handed due to snow storm..,
Old 01-22-14, 01:12 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Not sure what the problem is but I'm attaching a zip file w/ PDFs for you to read through that deals with code C1735, which the code is:

DTC C1735/35 : EXHAUST SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT
Attached Files
File Type: zip
05-501 C1735.zip (77.8 KB, 603 views)
Old 01-22-14, 01:43 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

...system does not bing it back up unless I do it manually, or a shut off engine and restart,
Will the height reset if you turn the ignition key to the 'start' position with the engine running? Maybe you could use this trick 'till you get the problem fixed???
Old 01-22-14, 03:07 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Not sure what the problem is but I'm attaching a zip file w/ PDFs for you to read through that deals with code C1735, which the code is:

DTC C1735/35 : EXHAUST SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT
C1744 AND C1761 were on the original work order that led them to the ht control tank/solenoid.
Old 01-22-14, 04:24 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

C1744 AND C1761 were on the original work order that led them to the ht control tank/solenoid.
C1744/44 : TANK SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT
C1761/61 : (SUSPENSION) ECU MALFUNCTION

See attached zip files....
Attached Files
05-501 C1744.zip (168.5 KB, 799 views)
05-518 C1761.zip (34.0 KB, 491 views)
Old 01-22-14, 05:14 PM
ALAN553
Racer

C1744/44 : TANK SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT
C1761/61 : (SUSPENSION) ECU MALFUNCTION

See attached zip files....
Well that would lead them to the reservoir and solenoid...but it it is still winding up on the bump protectors while driving...Sometimes.....is it possible it is still the height sensors even though they show no codes or blinking dash light? I was stopped at a light and out of curiosity tried to put it in L...the light never even blinked, it just lit up the L..because it was already down. Pushed up and it went......
Old 01-22-14, 06:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Well that would lead them to the reservoir and solenoid...but it it is still winding up on the bump protectors while driving...Sometimes.....is it possible it is still the height sensors even though they show no codes or blinking dash light? I was stopped at a light and out of curiosity tried to put it in L...the light never even blinked, it just lit up the L..because it was already down. Pushed up and it went......
The codes for bad ride height sensors are:

Left: C1714
Right: C1713

It doesn't appear that you have a bad sensor(s) since you said you pressed "HI" and the rear lifted up.
  • When the suspension control ECU detects a malfunction in the height control sensor, the height control indicator lamp ”N” comes on or blinks, and the height control switch (”HI” and ”LO”) is suspended.
  • When either one of the right or left height control sensor sub−assy is faulty, the suspension control ECU uses the other one (functioning one) to adjust the vehicle height to the normal height.
  • When both of the height control sensor sub−assy are faulty, the suspension control ECU suspend the height control function immediately.

EDIT:
Based on what I can find here are the main problem areas that would cause what you're experiencing:
  1. Air leakage
  2. Clogging of the air tube
  3. Height control sensor link sub−assy (Ride height sensor linkage)
  4. Height control sensor circuit (Ride height sensor)
  5. Gate solenoid valve circuit
  6. Suspension control ECU

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-22-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 07:30 PM
ALAN553
Racer

The codes for bad ride height sensors are:

Left: C1714
Right: C1713

It doesn't appear that you have a bad sensor(s) since you said you pressed "HI" and the rear lifted up.
  • When the suspension control ECU detects a malfunction in the height control sensor, the height control indicator lamp ”N” comes on or blinks, and the height control switch (”HI” and ”LO”) is suspended.
  • When either one of the right or left height control sensor sub−assy is faulty, the suspension control ECU uses the other one (functioning one) to adjust the vehicle height to the normal height.
  • When both of the height control sensor sub−assy are faulty, the suspension control ECU suspend the height control function immediately.

EDIT:
Based on what I can find here are the main problem areas that would cause what you're experiencing:
  1. Air leakage
  2. Clogging of the air tube
  3. Height control sensor link sub−assy (Ride height sensor linkage)
  4. Height control sensor circuit (Ride height sensor)
  5. Gate solenoid valve circuit
  6. Suspension control ECU

True system works normally from dash switch.. And if I park the car overnight and the suspension is at correct height, it is still there in the morning...so a leak? It is dropping while I am driving and sometimes correcting itself. I hear the pump while waiting at a light. .I will take your list with me when I bring the car back next week..thanks.
Old 01-22-14, 09:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I will take your list with me when I bring the car back next week..thanks.
Hopefully they get it figured out.
Old 01-23-14, 03:37 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Zero up here this AM, it's wonder anything mechanical works
Old 01-23-14, 10:58 AM
MTLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as you go over a big dip and your rear end drops the spring can easily pop out. Once you remove the airbag there nothing there to secure the bottom of the spring in place. Just a little word of advice, read up on other sites regarding the airbag / spring swap in our GX. I have and I can tell you its not as simple as removing the airbag and adding a spring.

Look at the spring picture in post #19, noticed theres NOTHING keeping the bottom spring in place.

read post #20 and read his response # 29. You need something to keep the spring in place.
This needs a little clarification. The bottom of the spring does not need to be secured to the axle, Toyota has had the floating spring design since the FJ80 series Land Cruiser in 1991. The current air bag system in the GX470/460 also floats on the axle and frame, there is nothing keeping it from coming out except for a tiny clip on the frame. Toyota has designed the suspension where the shock is the limiting factor, the spring/air bag simply cannot come out unless the shock out travels the springs/air bag. As long as you have the proper shock matched with the coil spring everything will stay in place.
Old 01-23-14, 12:34 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MTLT
This needs a little clarification. The bottom of the spring does not need to be secured to the axle, Toyota has had the floating spring design since the FJ80 series Land Cruiser in 1991. The current air bag system in the GX470/460 also floats on the axle and frame, there is nothing keeping it from coming out except for a tiny clip on the frame. Toyota has designed the suspension where the shock is the limiting factor, the spring/air bag simply cannot come out unless the shock out travels the springs/air bag. As long as you have the proper shock matched with the coil spring everything will stay in place.
9 out of 10 people are going to be lifting their GX IE: not using stock shocks, so the hold down is absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions