GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 05:40 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Having the same problem, my compressor seems to be going on a lot more lately, when it looks low and pumps up it stays for awhile. When it looks low it is even, meaning both sides appear same height. I'm guessing if an airbag was leaking it would appear somewhat lopsided. Does this sound right? I'm hoping a leaking line or fitting.
Old 08-10-13, 05:33 PM
gc9538
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking Rear Air Suspension

I have a 2004 GX470. Been a great car. Has 310k miles and very little in repair. My currnet problem is the rear air suspension leaks down. THe problem is not 100% of the time but probably 80% when the car is left parked and off, over a few hours the air is released and the rear is sitting on the bumpers. My theory is it is not the air bags as if one leaked it would be doing this everytime the car sits. My hunch is it is either the component that releases the air is not sealing up everytime after it releases the prescribed air when the car is parked. ( That sound it makes when you get out and it lowers the car a little each time)
Or the sensor tells that component to let more air out and it does not tell it to stop. Does anyone have any history of this type of problem and is there a way to trouble shoot it so I dont just start buying parts I dont need. Thank you
Old 08-10-13, 07:21 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gc9538
I have a 2004 GX470. Been a great car. Has 310k miles and very little in repair. My currnet problem is the rear air suspension leaks down. THe problem is not 100% of the time but probably 80% when the car is left parked and off, over a few hours the air is released and the rear is sitting on the bumpers. My theory is it is not the air bags as if one leaked it would be doing this everytime the car sits. My hunch is it is either the component that releases the air is not sealing up everytime after it releases the prescribed air when the car is parked. ( That sound it makes when you get out and it lowers the car a little each time)
Or the sensor tells that component to let more air out and it does not tell it to stop. Does anyone have any history of this type of problem and is there a way to trouble shoot it so I dont just start buying parts I dont need. Thank you
I can't help with the issue, but I have to comment on you having 310K on a 2004. That's awesome! And I'm freaking out because I'm at 88K and worried about potential repairs.
Old 08-10-13, 07:45 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sprocket
I can't help with the issue, but I have to comment on you having 310K on a 2004. That's awesome! And I'm freaking out because I'm at 88K and worried about potential repairs.
x2 310k miles, that's gotta be a record on here!

At that mileage I would just get new bags and be done with it.
Old 08-11-13, 07:25 AM
gc9538
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
x2 310k miles, that's gotta be a record on here!

At that mileage I would just get new bags and be done with it.
I love this car. Had 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles and could not keep it out of the shop. 17k in repairs in three years so traded it on this car and have spent about 2k in 6 years on non wear item repairs. Brakes, battery, belts. I plan on going to 500k or beyond as it is paid for and not really costing me anything to speak of. So if your at mileage below mine, your just getting broke in.
Old 08-11-13, 07:38 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I love this car. Had 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles and could not keep it out of the shop. 17k in repairs in three years so traded it on this car and have spent about 2k in 6 years on non wear item repairs. Brakes, battery, belts. I plan on going to 500k or beyond as it is paid for and not really costing me anything to speak of. So if your at mileage below mine, your just getting broke in.
I too had a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland before the GX - what a POS! It was a great looking car, drove wonderfully, loved the interior and the 5.7 H.O. V8, but between the brakes and my transmission failing at 77k miles - of course just out of warranty, I made the decision at that point to say good riddance to Chrysler and UAW made products. I fixed what needed to be fixed to get it working, sold it, then went straight to the Lexus dealer and bought my '05.

FYI - there are aftermarket airbags for the GX for sale on ebay for $350 for a pair.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-11-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-13-13, 03:17 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I have the same exact issue and have decided to to the spring conversion kit. I know there are aftermarket air bags for $300 a pair but my theory is after that what is next? The sensors could go, the compressor, the computer etc. for Appx. $250 you can purchase springs and be done with the repair prone air system. That being said there are numerous companies that claim they have the best product and I have not found enough consumer feedback to pick the right spring. Some say you have to fab a lower spring bracket to secure the springs and others say they have bolt ons. Anyone with direct knowledge or experience with the spring conversion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-13, 02:49 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Also when using a spring conversion do you get fault lights on the dash?
Old 08-17-13, 08:22 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Also when using a spring conversion do you get fault lights on the dash?
You will get fault lights when removing the air suspension system. However a simple fuse pull and your dash lights will turn off.
Old 08-17-13, 08:48 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Heres the best way to figure out which component of the air suspension has died out.

With the car on, raise the height control to HIGH. Once it has reached this height, turn the car off and look at the height between the tire and the wheel fenders. Leave your car over night or a few hours and return to it. Has the measurement changed from when you had pumped it up? If so, you have a faulty airbag OR leaking air hose.

The best way to diagnose the issue above is to go get a spray bottle with soapy water. Spray down the airbags and the air suspension hoses. If you notice any soap bubbles starting to form, there is your leak!

Also while down under your vehicle, inspect the airbags. Do they have cracks in them? Does the plastic/rubber material look to be in good condition?

This is no good.

......................................................................................................................
If the above did not yield you any luck, then proceed reading.

Go underneath your car with a 10mm wrench. To the side of both airbags, you will see this metal arm:

Using your 10MM wrench, go ahead and adjust both sides to the same setting, while adjusting the arms, raise and lower them with your hand and if possible, get some WD-40 and spray the living heck out of them. Then go into your GX and re-calibrate the air suspension (process shown below) and go for a drive.

On a side note, if you have ever turn your vehicle off and exited from the cabin only to hear what sounded like air coming out of the back suspension. That is completely normal, as long as it stops within 2-8 seconds. That is the rear air suspension removing the excess pressure it built up while on your drive &leveling itself.

Anytime you do any adjustment to the air suspension system it needs to be calibrated. Personally I do this about once a week, or anytime I feel the rear end isn't 100% in tune.

Start vehicle, and confirm the height control says the vehicle is in normal height.
Lower vehicle to low, and wait for the light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to Normal height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Raise vehicle to HIGH height, and wait for the system light to turn solid.
Lower the vehicle to NORNAL, and wait for the light to turn solid.
DONE.

The system is not calibrated and knows its Low,Normal,High positions. It is recommended you do this on a flat surface, and while the vehicle is parked.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

references:
Lexus Emp.
GX470 owner with one too many RAS problems.
Old 09-05-13, 08:33 PM
Mel4444
Driver School Candidate

Question Is it bad?

Originally Posted by DKong
Yes...replacing sensors fixed the problem. You will know when the sensors go bad because the height of the rear will go either really high or low & stay fixed at that height intermitently. The rear is suppose to adjust to normal when you reach a certain speed but it will not go to normal. The car will be really bumpy when the suspension stays fixed at high. I even tried removing the fuse for this feature after the height of the rear was at normal but the ride was too bumpy.

When the sensors go bad, you will know as the rear of the car will have a mind of its own.
Is it bad to keep driving car in a fixed position to delay repair cost for bad sensor?
Old 09-10-13, 12:36 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel4444
Is it bad to keep driving car in a fixed position to delay repair cost for bad sensor?
Is it high or low?

My friend had a Range Rover and the air ride went out and it was riding on the bump stops. We were hitting out hear on the roof riding home it was so bumpy. I wouldn't think short term it would damage anything but you should get it fixed soon than later.
Old 09-10-13, 12:39 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I wanted to raise the rear 3/4" - 1" which would I adjust, pic 1 or 2?

Old 09-10-13, 01:12 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If I wanted to raise the rear 3/4" - 1" which would I adjust, pic 1 or 2?

I believe its pic 1. I just did the coil conversion and I'm very happy with the results. The end result is a nice ride without too much firmness. My coils kept the factory ride height within 1/2", It is slightly lower. When the truck had a couple of occupants the compressor kicked on. I pulled the 50a fuse under the hood marked air suspension and that took care of the running compressor. It did however result in the "OFF' light blinking. The blinking only now occurs with occupants, I believe a simple adjustment with the height sensors should take care of that. My question is if I wanted to keep the height sensors from calling for air, which way do I adjust the sensors to have them in the lowest setting possible? I'm guessing to loosen the bolt and slide it up toward the truck. That way if I load up my truck within reason it wouldn't "call" for more air. Does this sound correct? Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by ROSCOGX470; 09-10-13 at 01:14 PM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 10-11-13, 07:30 AM
Calcio
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Came across this thread just now after getting the dreaded call from my SA. At 68,000 on my 05 GX, I noticed that the vehicle appeared to be stuck in high for the rear suspension. Yep - new sensors needed at a cost of $1,100.

Last edited by Calcio; 10-11-13 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions