Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Air Suspension Problems on GX470

Old 03-28-12, 06:48 AM   #61
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

If you have the 5100s set at 0" lift how could they void your warranty, theyre just shocks. If you lifted 1-2" then maybe they can say that was the cause of the failure.

What perch do you have them set to?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 09:36 AM   #62
Matsui
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post
2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
Where did you get them replaced and how much did it cost you?
Matsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 10:45 AM   #63
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsui View Post
Where did you get them replaced and how much did it cost you?
Lexus dealership replaced them under warranty. Sewell online sells them (I think about $350/each with CL discount).

2005 RX330 Thundercloud Edition (sold)
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 04:46 PM   #64
roofero
Driver School Candidate

thank you to a topic started, and to those who shared a useful information. However, sensors and shocks replacement didnt solve my issue, I have ordered and replaced both high sensors and it didnt resolve the stiff ride, after that, I have ordered rear bilstein shocks and just finished the work, It didnt do anything ! The ride its just not the same, not even close to what I use to have before my sensors went bad ! Any thoughts on this ? I would greatly appreciate any help from the pros, over 2k expenses so far, new parts - yes, but the ride just wont improve for me !!! What else could go wrong ?!
roofero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 06:23 PM   #65
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Bilsteins usually will ride more harsh than stock shocks. Maybe try adjusting the sensors.....

Click the image to open in full size.

RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 04:35 AM   #66
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofero View Post
thank you to a topic started, and to those who shared a useful information. However, sensors and shocks replacement didnt solve my issue, I have ordered and replaced both high sensors and it didnt resolve the stiff ride, after that, I have ordered rear bilstein shocks and just finished the work, It didnt do anything ! The ride its just not the same, not even close to what I use to have before my sensors went bad ! Any thoughts on this ? I would greatly appreciate any help from the pros, over 2k expenses so far, new parts - yes, but the ride just wont improve for me !!! What else could go wrong ?!
Springs and call it a day.
chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 09:47 PM   #67
N305AS
Rookie

I'll say this - while I love my GX470, I know that in the next 4-6 years I'll probably have to replace her in the family fleet with a GX460, and I am THRILLED to know that the GX460 air suspension is merely an option and not standard.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be going with the standard coil suspension next go 'round and not the air suspension!
N305AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:49 AM   #68
clubsport
Pole Position

bippitydoo - i love you gx470
clubsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 04:29 PM   #69
stiles_s
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by N305AS View Post
I'll say this - while I love my GX470, I know that in the next 4-6 years I'll probably have to replace her in the family fleet with a GX460, and I am THRILLED to know that the GX460 air suspension is merely an option and not standard.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be going with the standard coil suspension next go 'round and not the air suspension!
Not to be overly simplistic, but I think it boils down to whether or not you frequently tow or haul heavy loads. If you do, the air suspension is a god send, and worth the maintenance nuisance. It's an advantage we have over the Land Cruiser, IMO. I happen to tow quite a bit, and the self-leveling rear is great.

if you don't (tow or haul), then I agree that plain old springs would be simpler and better.
Old 05-08-12, 04:09 PM   #70
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

so, which springs should i pair my 5100's with for no lift? stock height.
Old 06-05-12, 07:19 AM   #71
mbenz80
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofero View Post
Roofero,
you may have a problem tight dry rubber control arm bushings and/or stuck dry driveshaft problem. Can you hear any squeaking, creaking noise when you change the height?
Something is not easy to move in the suspension assembly and you may get stiff ride.
I used to have a noise while going over speed bumps or uneven surface when I bought my GX, found out rear lower control arm was rubbing against the mount clevis bracket in pivoting point.
Clevis bracket was bent inward (I believe from towing truck chain) and control arm could not swivel without drag.

I am in need of replacement height sensor on left side do to broken sensor bracket, sensor is very hard to move and I believe it flexed the bracket back and fort so many times that it cracket off.
I found it hanging down from the upper control arm and I need new or used one asap.
Would any one of you members have a used or new set of sensors for sale after conversion or suspension repair that you no longer need?
Thanks in advance, Bernard
Old 07-30-12, 12:06 PM   #72
roofer
Driver School Candidate

I switched to springs and coil now, the ride quality is good but not as good as it was before, of course. Posted my almost brand new sensors on ebay in case someone is interested ) Good luck to you all !
roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 12:16 PM   #73
Rgf49er
Driver School Candidate

Rgf49er@yahoo.com Rgf49er Rgf49er@yahoo.com

I have 152k and have not had this issue but thanks for sharing
Rgf49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 05:58 AM   #74
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
I switched to springs and coil now, the ride quality is good but not as good as it was before, of course. Posted my almost brand new sensors on ebay in case someone is interested ) Good luck to you all !
So which shocks and coils did you use?
Old 11-24-12, 09:29 PM   #75
rwmagnus
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post
2OnyxLexus,

Sorry to hear the ride is still stiff. I had my rear height sensors replaced last week and I can tell the differences. The problem was definitely the sensors and the ride is like when I bought the vehicle two years ago.
I know this thread is somewhat old but I think I need new sensors for my wifes 06 GX470. Can you recall what the cost was to have them replaced and did the Lexus dealer do the work?

A mechanic said the front struts need to be changed to fix the ride quality and that the front right strutt is leaking oil. Problem is I can not get the ride height to change its just stuck in N. I'm hoping this may be the fix. If not I think I'm going to consider a coil over suspension conversion vs an OEM repair, just too expensive.

I remember the ride height use to change when the car was new. Now it doesn't and the front end is very bouncy ride quality stinks. Thanks for any inut that will help me out.
rwmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 09:29 PM

Tags
04, 2004, 470, air, clublexus, control, gx, gx470, height, inspect, lexus, ls430, problems, reliability, ride, sensor, sensors, suspension