GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 10:11 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is a cpo and they replaced my sensors no questions asked.
Old 03-15-12, 11:17 AM
DKong
Driver School Candidate

No off roading whatsoever...nor did my wife ever use the height adjustment feature at all...there is no real use for it...looking at other comments, I believe that the failure rate is high on these sensors...part of the cost of having an air suspension, I guess...
Old 03-15-12, 12:15 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

No off roading here. The most we go off road is 75ft of our gravel driveway.
DKong, does it feel like the truck is really rocky too? Like it sways a lot when you turn in to a driveway or something?
Old 03-15-12, 01:54 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok got it... thanx guys and dkong for a very useful thread... thanx again
Old 03-15-12, 02:48 PM
DKong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2OnyxLexus
No off roading here. The most we go off road is 75ft of our gravel driveway.
DKong, does it feel like the truck is really rocky too? Like it sways a lot when you turn in to a driveway or something?
Rocky? Not sure...more bumpy like there is no suspension...if you are trying to figure out if the sensors aren't working, you'll know by the fact that the height adjustment has mind of it's own. If the height control goes to high or low while you are driving then it needs replacing. I knew I had an issue when the car was way HIGH & then the height control wouldn't bring the car back to normal when the car was in park. I hope this helps...
Old 03-15-12, 03:04 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

I see. Well the truck goes in tomorrow. To get checked out. Plus having them check out the clunck in the rear end too. And the TPMS is on too with all tire pressure is okay. If you are wondering the truck is an 05 with 92k miles.
Old 03-15-12, 05:11 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see. Well the truck goes in tomorrow. To get checked out. Plus having them check out the clunck in the rear end too. And the TPMS is on too with all tire pressure is okay. If you are wondering the truck is an 05 with 92k miles.
Keep us posted
Old 03-18-12, 08:57 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Well the clunk is getting fixed. TPMS sensors were out of range. As far as the rear end goes, height sensors are bad. They checked the the shocks too. They said thy were bad too. They fixed the TPMS sensors for free, dealer is taking care of the drive shaft, extended warranty is taking care of the height sensors. Im not sure if the shocks have gone bad. I think they are trying to squeeze some cash out of me. Hey claim all 4 shocks are bottoming out. $3000 to replace. $1500 for parts and $1500 for labor. Not gonna replace them yet. I need to do some more research on it. Has anyone replaced them before? I've replace conventional shocks and struts before but these electronic controlled shocks.
Old 03-18-12, 10:00 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy hell. As I said, these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes. Can I ask how many miles on your truck and are you the only owner? Man, if you were shelling out of pocket for all of that, you could buy a small Island in the Carribean for the same amount. $1500 for labor to install 4 shocks?!
Old 03-19-12, 08:18 AM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muti007
Holy hell. As I said, these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes. Can I ask how many miles on your truck and are you the only owner? Man, if you were shelling out of pocket for all of that, you could buy a small Island in the Carribean for the same amount. $1500 for labor to install 4 shocks?!
Everything is taking care via dealer and extended warranty except for shocks. I don't know if they have gone bad or not. I'll see how the ride is after they fix the height sensors and shaft. But yeah $3000, let me just pick it from my tree in the back yard.
Old 03-19-12, 08:57 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Everything is taking care via dealer and extended warranty except for shocks. I don't know if they have gone bad or not. I'll see how the ride is after they fix the height sensors and shaft. But yeah $3000, let me just pick it from my tree in the back yard.
Do you mind my asking, but what dealership is servicing your GX?
Old 03-19-12, 10:07 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Forget the dealership, start calling around to Toyota dealers and get prices. I believe the shocks are just shocks and struts are just struts. There are no controls to the front struts. Just the air bags are electronically controlled. Dampening and ride height. That price is way high. Any estimate of replacing the struts, should include all (4) wheel alignment. You can't void any warranty by having a Toyota dealer do the work.
Old 03-19-12, 11:06 AM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocks
Do you mind my asking, but what dealership is servicing your GX?
Willis Lexus in Des Moines,Iowa
Old 03-19-12, 01:27 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Willis Lexus in Des Moines,Iowa
Always good info for fellow GX owners in the area.
Old 03-19-12, 02:55 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

you know, now that i looked at the service manual for the suspension on this truck, i think i could do the whole job myself now cuz the truck is 4.7k pounds (kept on thinking it was 6k before), i did the supsension work on my g35 coupe last year and for the money they wanted in labor i would be willing to do it for some else for 1/5 the money nissan/infiniti wanted me to pay them... it's easy as heck just as long as you have the proper lift ie one of those 64" full size lift from harborfreight (which only cost $69 on sale)... i think i will do mine when the time comes - sensors springs etc
g35 coupe have more sporty suspension with more parts involved so this truck would be nothing new except for the electronic airbag sensors etc which my g35 doesn't have but the service manual covers all that...

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions