GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Old 03-08-12, 07:01 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DKong
FYI...I had problems with the air suspension on my 2004 GX470. At first I thought it was the ECU that controls the air suspension (Part #89293-60031) especially since both the right & left side were causing problems but it wasn't which would have been an easy fix.

The problem was the height control sensors for both the left & right rear. I had no choice but to get it fixed at the dealer. Part cost was about $450 each & labor/misc about $275 - total $1,175. I know it was crazy to pay that much but the guy who regularly fixes my car on the cheap couldn't figure the problem out.

If you have a good repair guy & have a similar problem, the part numbers are 89407-60022 (right rear sensor) & 89408-60011 (left rear sensor). I think different online part sites for Lexus shows the parts listed for about $290 each.

I didn't save any money but I hope this information will be helpful to someone & save him or her a lot of $$$$.

What were the symptoms of the problems you were experiencing?
Old 03-09-12, 04:55 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the ride height sensors fix your problem?????
Old 03-09-12, 07:58 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't own a g, but i know that there are no real signs that the sensor is going bad, but when it does, the car will not be level, or in the GX's case, the rear end usually raises to the highest position, or you just can't move the air suspension
Old 03-12-12, 05:45 AM
DKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

Yes...replacing sensors fixed the problem. You will know when the sensors go bad because the height of the rear will go either really high or low & stay fixed at that height intermitently. The rear is suppose to adjust to normal when you reach a certain speed but it will not go to normal. The car will be really bumpy when the suspension stays fixed at high. I even tried removing the fuse for this feature after the height of the rear was at normal but the ride was too bumpy.

When the sensors go bad, you will know as the rear of the car will have a mind of its own.
Old 03-12-12, 08:59 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DKong
Yes...replacing sensors fixed the problem. You will know when the sensors go bad because the height of the rear will go either really high or low & stay fixed at that height intermitently. The rear is suppose to adjust to normal when you reach a certain speed but it will not go to normal. The car will be really bumpy when the suspension stays fixed at high. I even tried removing the fuse for this feature after the height of the rear was at normal but the ride was too bumpy.

When the sensors go bad, you will know as the rear of the car will have a mind of its own.
Good info. Thanks for posting.
The following users liked this post:
Manimal916 (11-27-21)
Old 03-12-12, 03:46 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dkong, how many miles u have in ur 04 ? i have 04 too. thx for posting this!
Old 03-13-12, 07:04 PM
DKong
Driver School Candidate

About 85,000 miles
Old 03-13-12, 08:43 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes.
The following users liked this post:
DevB (01-28-21)
Old 03-13-12, 10:36 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Muti007
Man these trucks scare the hell out of me sometimes.
maybe op did some offroading - onroad driving shouldn't cause this much havoc i hope?
Old 03-14-12, 03:21 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember when researching the GX last year the air suspension had a few components that were relatively common for failure, these sensors being among them.
Old 03-14-12, 07:43 AM
Lac
Driver

DKong:
Thanks for the info. I have '04 model as well and am nervous about these sensors .. .
Old 03-14-12, 09:32 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

yeah, suspension work isn't easy especially on this truck with so many extra parts, and the fact that it is a full size heavy as heck truck makes it even more intimidating to work on so i see lots of expenses i am gonna have to accept as i don't like to do electrical and suspension myself... oh well
Old 03-14-12, 12:14 PM
2OnyxLexus
Rookie

I wonder if it affects the 05 too. I seem to have the same symptoms as dkong. My ride seems really rough. Like he said, a mind of its own. But I chalked it up to be worn out shocks since I don't see any codes popping up. Does a code pop up if the sensors are bad? The truck lifts when I start it up and lowers when I shut it off. And lowers and raises when I use the height control. The ride quality really sucks when I think of it. If the sensors are bad I gonna take it in to get it fixed. Extended warranty covers it. Dkong, does this sound like your symptoms too?
Old 03-15-12, 07:30 AM
DKong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2OnyxLexus
I wonder if it affects the 05 too. I seem to have the same symptoms as dkong. My ride seems really rough. Like he said, a mind of its own. But I chalked it up to be worn out shocks since I don't see any codes popping up. Does a code pop up if the sensors are bad? The truck lifts when I start it up and lowers when I shut it off. And lowers and raises when I use the height control. The ride quality really sucks when I think of it. If the sensors are bad I gonna take it in to get it fixed. Extended warranty covers it. Dkong, does this sound like your symptoms too?
The symptons sound simialr except after a while I couldn't adjust it down or up. The car just stayed high even though the control switch was showing "N". The bumpy ride you are experiencing is because the car is riding high & the air suspension is "locked in". Maybe only one of your sensors is out instead of both. Since you have the extended warranty, I would take it to the dealer right away. I hope you can get it fixed under warranty..good luck & let me know how it goes.
Old 03-15-12, 08:45 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

did any of you guys do alot of offroading?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions