GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 01:32 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have them re-install the old part and wouldn't care where they dig it out from.
Then go elsewhere with my truck, since they can't diagnose problem using specific hi-tech plug-in testers made for these components. Usually they start with most expensive part first...
Old 02-17-14, 03:50 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

yea, thats what my heart says to do...but right now i need the job finished....getting the part is not there fault, its the toyota distribution network to blame.....they want this over with and their loaner back....they have the right rear in stock...they are waiting for the left. when its is done, i will deal with th money.....the origninal payment is on a credit card...just a protest to the card company and the charge will be reversed leaving the dealer to deal with me.
Old 02-18-14, 07:11 AM
ALAN553
Racer

well, trying to be proactive...forget customer service...all they can do is document your complaint, they have no way of dealing with parts.. called a few toyota and lexus dealers in my area...and they all confirmed, the left rear pneumatic cylinder is on back order...distribution centers throughout the US....I guess those 10 year old 4runners and gx470 are sucking the parts chain dry all of a sudden...probably no shortage of coil springs.
Old 03-06-14, 01:43 PM
nike23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Day guys (and girls is there are any on this forum),

I'm new to Club Lexus...I own a 2005 ES330.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm currently looking at 2 - 2003 GX470, both with mileages of 70 & 75K. The dealer is asking a price that is not too hard to scoff at but after reading some of the ride height issues, quite honestly, you guys are scaring the Hell out of me. Everything I've read about this line of vehicles is that they are tanks and as long as you take care of them they will last for upwards of 250K miles.
Is the issue with the ride height enough to not want to enter into a relationship with a GX470? I live in a Philadelphia suburb and don't do any off-roading. 90% of my driving is short-range local highway, flat and boring with the other 10% being suburban city driving. I'm looking for an SUV that won't nickle and dime me...my ES330 has been great and the only problem I've had has been replacing the intermediate steering shaft @ 80K miles. Would I even need to turn on the ride height since I don't do any towing or off-roading?
I love the way the truck looks and most of the reputation that it has but again, is the ride height enough of a potential issue to simply walk away from ownership?

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

nike23
Old 03-06-14, 06:12 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nike23
Good Day guys (and girls is there are any on this forum),

I'm new to Club Lexus...I own a 2005 ES330.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm currently looking at 2 - 2003 GX470, both with mileages of 70 & 75K. The dealer is asking a price that is not too hard to scoff at but after reading some of the ride height issues, quite honestly, you guys are scaring the Hell out of me. Everything I've read about this line of vehicles is that they are tanks and as long as you take care of them they will last for upwards of 250K miles.
Is the issue with the ride height enough to not want to enter into a relationship with a GX470? I live in a Philadelphia suburb and don't do any off-roading. 90% of my driving is short-range local highway, flat and boring with the other 10% being suburban city driving. I'm looking for an SUV that won't nickle and dime me...my ES330 has been great and the only problem I've had has been replacing the intermediate steering shaft @ 80K miles. Would I even need to turn on the ride height since I don't do any towing or off-roading?
I love the way the truck looks and most of the reputation that it has but again, is the ride height enough of a potential issue to simply walk away from ownership?

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

nike23
You mainly only hear negative on forums and with the amount of GXs sold compared to the amount of bad suspensions threads I'd say it's a great SUV.

As far as using the ride height, you cannot turn it off during normal driving conditions, it's working all the time. The only time you can turn it off is if you're going under 10mph <-- (forgot the exact MPH but it's slow). Once you go over that limit it will turn back on. And failing suspensions don't only happen with GXs that go offroad. I bought my GX from Lexus and it was a one owner. I found her info and contacted her about some maintenance that she had done and she was probably in her 50-60s, was a grandmaw and said she upgraded to the larger / newer LX. She never even had a hitch installed, so it was babied and well cared for but the suspension (shocks) still went bad.

Knowing that you can replace it with OEM 4Runner suspension parts or aftermarket parts I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GX.
Old 03-07-14, 06:08 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

You can ask the dealer to print you out service history that will go from pre-delivery service 0 miles to current reading. You may find out that all these parts we are having trouble with are already replaced on your unit.
I would not hesitate to buy another one, especially for the price I paid for mine ($2,500 exactly 3 years ago with bad engine- broken timing belt and bent valves) would do it again in a heartbeat. Cost me $850 for all oem parts to put her back on the road (dealer estimate was $6,000) plus another $225 for radiator year after.
Don't expect 3.3L economy you have now but it is a great vehicle and when used for towing, you won't even feel a trailer behind you.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Problems or Questions-dcp_2010.jpg  

Last edited by mbenz80; 03-07-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 08:56 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You mainly only hear negative on forums and with the amount of GXs sold compared to the amount of bad suspensions threads I'd say it's a great SUV.

As far as using the ride height, you cannot turn it off during normal driving conditions, it's working all the time. The only time you can turn it off is if you're going under 10mph <-- (forgot the exact MPH but it's slow). Once you go over that limit it will turn back on. And failing suspensions don't only happen with GXs that go offroad. I bought my GX from Lexus and it was a one owner. I found her info and contacted her about some maintenance that she had done and she was probably in her 50-60s, was a grandmaw and said she upgraded to the larger / newer LX. She never even had a hitch installed, so it was babied and well cared for but the suspension (shocks) still went bad.

Knowing that you can replace it with OEM 4Runner suspension parts or aftermarket parts I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GX.
+1, you always get a unique lens into a car on these forums. The problem areas tend to show up in high contrast. That said, if you spend time on competitors' forums (x5, touareg, cayenne, ml500, etc.) you'll be shocked by the traffic generated by problems users are having.

Also, I don't know of a single car with air suspension that hasn't caused problems for owners soon and with high expense. Go hang out on an Audi Allroad forum for one example. We have it *so* good if you look @ the 4runner parts compatibility and the ability to swap out to rear coils cheaply.

Then, look through the rest of the critical pieces:
- engine: appears to have no fatal flaws, not dealing with teh carbon buildup of nearly all DI engines
- transmission: seems to be nearly bulletproof
- torsen diff: time tested, durable
- general electrical systems: appears gremlin free
- general build quality and quality of components: very high

Yes, the radiators go at around 100k or so, and yes you need to eventually deal with things like CV joints & the like, but in general these things are amazingly durable & reliable.

Of course mine will break on the way home now that I've said this.

PS. I've had 27'ish cars over the years and have to say that the GX is the closest to a true "keeper" I've found yet. I'm OCD when it comes to cars. It's shocking to me and my family I've had it this long (bought new, mainly for my wife who hated it )
Old 03-19-14, 06:14 AM
ALAN553
Racer

just got new sensors delivered yesterday, $447 for both...going to put them in this weekend. I am hoping the shaft length comes correct out of the packaging and just have to adjust the slide. Having to adjust the one on the gas tank side would be tedious... I had the old ones out already to check them out, so I know installation is a piece of cake. Any last minute advice from anyone?
Old 05-04-14, 03:20 PM
Mydogsmooc
Driver School Candidate

Default Some advice

Good afternoon - I've got a 2007 gx470 with 78k miles, and have been having problems that no one can fix. The ride is terrible, was bouncing from 59 mph to 64 mph, then smoothed out. Replaced the tires in late 2012, and last week the dealer said one was bad, and moved it to the rear and rebalanced. Said nothing wrong with suspension. I brought it back to Firestone, and physically watched them check the balance of each - all were way (way) out of balance, but Jo wobbling or bad tire. Rebalanced (again watched) Ride still is terrible, bouncing all over. Mechanic said struts and shocks leaking a bit, but not too bad (dealer did not mention). Bring back to dealer tomorrow? Or have Firestone try to troubleshoot, maybe replace shocks? Driving me nuts, any advice appreciated, reading here this could be a huge expense. Been thinking about just getting rid of the car and starting over. Ps. I'm a woman, so trying not to get taken advantage of.
Old 05-04-14, 04:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Your problems should be an easy fix and obvious to a master mechanic familiar with the gx470. Try another Lexus dealer.
Old 05-04-14, 04:17 PM
Mydogsmooc
Driver School Candidate

Any thoughts on what it could be? Would love to provide a suggestion that makes sense.
Old 05-04-14, 04:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Leaking air bag leaking air reservoir, Height control sensors. There are a lot of areas but they are easy to diagnose .
Old 05-04-14, 05:37 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Air bag leak....positional...the small hole only opens up when the rubber is slightly wrinkled and down they go...the bouncing is the suspension sitting on the axle...sensors pick it up and inflate airbags...ride smooths out unit next time.
Old 05-04-14, 08:10 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

I would say there is nothing wrong with your suspension but will try swap the wheels again. If it is only bouncing in certain speed range, I would not blaim your suspension but have them set the balancing machine to 60 mph for your wheels. Yes, I do have a pinhole leak in my original air springs but my original shocks are dry and working fine with 200K miles MORE than you have on yours.
If your suspension would be bad, the ride quality would be even worse in slow speeds and you will hear your compressor pumping up suspension often, if system air leak is present. Rear of your car would be sagged down to bottom every morning, or after couple hour when parked.
I could be wrong, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-14, 03:00 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by Mydogsmooc
Good afternoon - I've got a 2007 gx470 with 78k miles, and have been having problems that no one can fix. The ride is terrible, was bouncing from 59 mph to 64 mph, then smoothed out. Replaced the tires in late 2012, and last week the dealer said one was bad, and moved it to the rear and rebalanced. Said nothing wrong with suspension. I brought it back to Firestone, and physically watched them check the balance of each - all were way (way) out of balance, but Jo wobbling or bad tire. Rebalanced (again watched) Ride still is terrible, bouncing all over. Mechanic said struts and shocks leaking a bit, but not too bad (dealer did not mention). Bring back to dealer tomorrow? Or have Firestone try to troubleshoot, maybe replace shocks? Driving me nuts, any advice appreciated, reading here this could be a huge expense. Been thinking about just getting rid of the car and starting over. Ps. I'm a woman, so trying not to get taken advantage of.
Just looking for a clarification, bouncing or vibrating?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions