GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 03:03 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I pulled the air line from dryer/compressor to reservoir and turned on car. Compressor is running but no air is discharged from feed line at all. Disconnected the solenoid valve on compressor and no difference.
I guess I can start search for 48910-60021.
Old 01-29-14, 03:19 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mbenz80
Well, I pulled the air line from dryer/compressor to reservoir and turned on car. Compressor is running but no air is discharged from feed line at all. Disconnected the solenoid valve on compressor and no difference.
Both ride height sensors recently replaced, now this...ouch.
Old 01-30-14, 01:55 PM
Enforcer27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my wife's gx is having he exact same issue as mbenz80... Just started after our couple of Minnesota -60f days. New sensor in the right side. Compressor clicks on when started but doesn't pump most of the time now. Then every now and then you can hear it turn on start pumping but it doesn't lift rear at all after running for what seems like a lot longer then it would in the past.

05 gx 470 100k.

Help...

Also is there a way to "reset" the suspension ecu or computer that controls it?

Last edited by Enforcer27; 01-30-14 at 01:59 PM. Reason: More questions!
Old 01-30-14, 02:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Enforcer27
Hello, my wife's gx is having he exact same issue as mbenz80...
Do what he did below.....

Originally Posted by mbenz80
Old 01-31-14, 09:29 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting really curious about this and have some questions. maybe a different thread, maybe best for ih8mud. But...

I'd love to figure out which OEM spring setup would be best for folks who want to upgrade to a slightly stiffer and slightly higher setup. My theory is that (for folks going with springs) we're going to need to increase rear ride height a bit (from OEM) if we still want to use the GX as an SUV (hauling, towing, etc.). With springs, you're gong to get rear droop under load. The air suspension allows us to run pretty close t the bump stops in the rear because the height is continuously fine tuned. You don't need the buffer you need with steel springs.

Net: I wouldn't move to a spring that resulted in OE ride height. I think you'd be into the bump stops way more than you'd like.

Theories on springs that would raise a bit?
- FJ Cruiser springs seem to be a popular upgrade w/the 4runner folks, and our GXs are about the same weight as a loaded 4r.
- what about the lighter-duty OME springs?

I'm thinking that a Bilstein 5100 + FJ Cruiser spring setup might be really nice in our rigs. Would (I think) make it slightly taller and slightly stiffer.

Any theories? Any data?
Old 01-31-14, 09:45 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I'm getting really curious about this and have some questions. maybe a different thread, maybe best for ih8mud. But...

I'd love to figure out which OEM spring setup would be best for folks who want to upgrade to a slightly stiffer and slightly higher setup. My theory is that (for folks going with springs) we're going to need to increase rear ride height a bit (from OEM) if we still want to use the GX as an SUV (hauling, towing, etc.). With springs, you're gong to get rear droop under load. The air suspension allows us to run pretty close t the bump stops in the rear because the height is continuously fine tuned. You don't need the buffer you need with steel springs.

Net: I wouldn't move to a spring that resulted in OE ride height. I think you'd be into the bump stops way more than you'd like.

Theories on springs that would raise a bit?
- FJ Cruiser springs seem to be a popular upgrade w/the 4runner folks, and our GXs are about the same weight as a loaded 4r.
- what about the lighter-duty OME springs?

I'm thinking that a Bilstein 5100 + FJ Cruiser spring setup might be really nice in our rigs. Would (I think) make it slightly taller and slightly stiffer.

Any theories? Any data?
A GX owner over on iH8mud mounted OME 895E (slightly shorter than the 895 springs but same spring rate) springs in the rear. They're the same height as stock FJ springs only stiffer. He gained 1" of lift in the rear. Not too tall but maybe tall enough to keep the GX slightly higher in the rear if not leveled if you need to tow.
Old 01-31-14, 10:32 AM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Just guessing but it sounds like a faulty ride height sensor.
Just kinda assume the side that is higher is the faulty sensor? It might be best to bite the bullet and replace both of them.
Old 01-31-14, 11:17 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4RBoarder
From previous findings usually the entire rear is raised or lowered if a sensor goes bad not just one side.

Originally Posted by T4RBoarder
Just kinda assume the side that is higher is the faulty sensor? It might be best to bite the bullet and replace both of them.
More than likely the lower side is the faulty sensor if that is in fact what's causing your problem.
Old 01-31-14, 02:01 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

A GX owner over on iH8mud mounted OME 895E (slightly shorter than the 895 springs but same spring rate) springs in the rear. They're the same height as stock FJ springs only stiffer. He gained 1" of lift in the rear. Not too tall but maybe tall enough to keep the GX slightly higher in the rear if not leveled if you need to tow.
That's a really interesting data point, thanks for the pointer.
Saw the pics and it looks maybe a hair taller than I'd like. Based on +1.25" for the 895E's (from where I'm sitting @ 21"), I wonder what the FJ springs would do. Any chance you have the diff between the ride height of the 895E's and the FJ OEM springs rattling around in your head?
Old 01-31-14, 02:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Any chance you have the diff between the ride height of the 895E's and the FJ OEM springs rattling around in your head?
On wheelers site they state you'll gain approximately 1" of lift using the OME 895E vs the stock FJ coils:
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...rear-coil-set/

I don't remember reading about a lot of GX owners using FJ springs. Most will stay stock or lift. A lot of 4th gen 4Runner guys are using them though. They say on V8s you'd gain approximately .25" - .75" but most gain .25" of lift.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...o-4th-gen.html
Old 01-31-14, 08:49 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

On wheelers site they state you'll gain approximately 1" of lift using the OME 895E vs the stock FJ coils:
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...rear-coil-set/

I don't remember reading about a lot of GX owners using FJ springs. Most will stay stock or lift. A lot of 4th gen 4Runner guys are using them though. They say on V8s you'd gain approximately .25" - .75" but most gain .25" of lift.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...o-4th-gen.html
Thanks. Need to see if I can avoid tinkering w/the truck until the rear suspension fails on its own. I do love the functionality of the air suspension when towing and hauling, but I also really like the idea and simplicity of coil springs. And, I think I'd prefer the ride & handling of a stiffer spring. The OE springs feel pretty soft (front coil and rear bag both).
Old 02-01-14, 08:08 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Thanks. Need to see if I can avoid tinkering w/the truck until the rear suspension fails on its own. I do love the functionality of the air suspension when towing and hauling, but I also really like the idea and simplicity of coil springs. And, I think I'd prefer the ride & handling of a stiffer spring. The OE springs feel pretty soft (front coil and rear bag both).
I know what you mean. That's why other than tricking the ride height sensors to lift the rear I haven't really messed with it either.
Old 02-01-14, 10:46 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

okay...i think i solved my height problem...already had reservoir assembly replace a few weeks ago...that didnt solve the problem...height is all over the place...I already have another appt at lexus on monday to relook at that $1500, didnt fix it job. so a little nice out today, so i went to vacum out the truck..while in the back, when i turned vacum cleaner off.. I heard a loud hiss from right rear....i get under, cant find it...truck is dropping quickly...so i start it....raise it back up to N....climb in the back....and it starts hissing again....raise it up.. hiss gone...so now I got the pattern....brought back to N, bounce on bumper and starts h issing again...get underneath....clearly a leak in the air bag...was blowing air in my face and dirt when i lifted up cover. Raise it up and pinch closes off, ie no leak...I guess lexus and I will be having a discussion on monday...they get @125/hour for service....I am worth way more...they owe me for the diagnosis.....
Old 02-03-14, 10:04 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

For anyone thinking of buying Arnott Bilstiens I received this email back from Arnott today. It seems the $400+ up-charge for their "GX Bilsteins" vs standard 4Runner 4600s is the black paint.

"I just confirmed with our R & D manager. He stated that the shocks are the 4600 series. The information available for the 5100 series shows that the shocks are designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration.

Generally speaking Bilstein shocks typically have a firmer ride, and will provide better handling compared to other shocks on the market, the feedback has been great from our customers.

Since the shocks we provide will mount up with your existing air suspension set up, the parts will work fine in .

Thanks,"
Old 02-04-14, 04:48 AM
Invalid321
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I was looking through the thread and wanted to toss my .02 in here. I work for Lexus and have noticed 1 major item missing from the things everyone has replaced. Height sensors, yes, those do seize and/or break often. Shocks, yes, they can leak, but its not a major deal. I believe alot of techs over-sell them. What i'm not seeing in this thread is that nobody has replaced the airbags. Those are possibly the cheapest part of the AHC system! We've done a few sets here at the shop. I wouldn't say its common, but with some of the strange happenings, strange ride heights after sitting, leaning, etc.. They can develop pinhole leaks. And when the pump is on constantly trying to maintain that ride height, it will shut off after a predetermined amount of time to save the pump from burning out. And that could cause the exhaust solenoid codes and other codes because the ecu is tricked into thinking those could be the issue. It can't monitor air pressure inside the airbag (although that would be nice)

Just trying to help share some knowledge.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions