GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Are you running a K&N air filter in your GX? If so, is it a lot thinner than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ROK, exit this thread. if you don't know how to post constructively, don't.

Muti007, same to you
Old 03-12-12, 01:48 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough and thank you rominl
Old 03-14-12, 01:30 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, it looks like I have to get my oven mits on, it is so hot on this thread. Even thought I choose not to run a KnN filter in my GX, I would have like the know the answer to the simple question asked at the begining. Is the KnN filter the same size (thickness) as the paper stock filter?? 255 people read this post and nobody had the answer????
Old 03-14-12, 01:39 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Fortunately, Romin was kind enough to delete all of the BS and bring the thread back in line.

So it seems the K&N is indeed a bit thinner than the OEM filter. This was also the case with the K&N I had in my 4runner, though that also came with an adaptor to make up for the extra space which the GX doesnt require. So I think theres nothing to worry about. Thankfully, so far, in my 22 years of driving and over 60 cars and motorcycles Ive owned, I have yet to kill an engine so Im keeping my fingers crossed that this filter doesnt grenade my latest acquisition
Old 03-15-12, 03:23 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info
Old 03-15-12, 04:56 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
Wow, it looks like I have to get my oven mits on, it is so hot on this thread. Even thought I choose not to run a KnN filter in my GX, I would have like the know the answer to the simple question asked at the begining. Is the KnN filter the same size (thickness) as the paper stock filter?? 255 people read this post and nobody had the answer????
Not too many GX owners waste time/money with the K&N drop-in filters. A few members have installed the cold air intake filter setup. A simple google search shows that most K&N filters are thinner than OEM filters. The OP could send an email to K&N and get it straight from the horse's mouth?
Old 05-03-12, 07:05 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did have a K&N in my 06 gx470.....notice i said "did"
i took it in to the dealership to have a few things done and told them that i had a K&N in....hell i even put the sticker on the airbox and they still tossed it and popped in an OEM air filter. i didn't notice until i went to clean and recharge the K&N. i noticed what had happend and called my dealership. they gave me a credit for the full price of the filter.

that being said.....i never noticed if it was physically thinner.
Old 05-03-12, 07:42 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing beats OEM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:31 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Just want to toss in a hopefully constructive addition to this.

First, data:
- K&N filter for the GX is "thinner". I pulled the OEM one out of mine the other day and was surprised by how thick it is.
- Thicker filter typically means each pleat is "longer" which again means that you have more filter surface area for a given inlet size. More surface area is a good thing, because with more surface area you can achieve better filtration with less pressure drop.

Next: approaching real data or "truth": I've read various reports on K&N over the years and have been influence by the data in reports like these:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Now, starting in the 80s, I began religiously using K&Ns in all my cars. VWs, Hondas, BMWs, Mazdas, etc... With the exception of the CRX I had that started using oil far earlier than it should, I can't say I had a bad experience w/the K&Ns. In my old M3, I went from K&N to ITG, a supposedly better foam filter. But, my usage does not equal a study. It just says that they didn't do *perceptible damage* during the hundreds of thousands of miles that I used them. About the only downsides were: occasionally fouled MAFs, and the mess of cleaning and re-oiling.

Based on the data in the above reports, and the *huge* increase in the efficiency of OEM intake systems since the 80s, I now religiously use OEM air filters. With the one exception of performance when water-logged, I believe they are superior in all the ways that matter to me to K&N and other non-paper filters.
Old 05-04-12, 07:38 PM
jafoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As for the original post: yes the K&N are much thinner. You might want to try this too: remove the carbon filter that is attached to the top of the air box. After removing mine I was able to light 'm up. Now some say the oil from the K&N will put oil on the MAF, mine has been fine. If you leave the carbon filter on this will not happen. If you clean and re-oil the filter do not apply too much oil. Also keep the stock filter so you can allow the K&N to dry completely before reapplying the oil. I have 7K on since my last clean/relube and MAF is still fine.
I drive in dust, gravel/dirt roads so it is much benificial to use K&N in these environements. Also if you off road you will pick up a lot of dust durning the dry days.
Old 05-11-12, 11:52 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used K&N filters with different performance cars and have seen instant gains on the dyno. However, those were performance cars. IMO the GX does not fall into that category and I will be sticking with OEM filters only because I do not feel there is going to be a measurable performance gain. Additionally, if you have a warranty, some dealers may void it simply for the reason jafoo has stated: Over-oiling the filter can cause the MAF to screw up.
Old 05-12-12, 01:56 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thank you to the few folks that were willing and able to answer the actual question, much appreciated!

To the folks rambling on and on about the perceived problems with K&N filters and insisting on venting their personal opinion on the matter, just please do me a favor. When you're done beating the crap out of that poor horse, please just leave his remains in the stable. I'll be around to collect the corpse tomorrow and hopefully that will be the last time you can get at him again.
Old 05-12-12, 09:10 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I had mine removed within a year, as my MAFs were getting clogged, twice cleansed it still had issues. Had a run down with the dealer, and this is what he says, If you over oil the K&N, To me it did not look over oiled. They would cause issues to our MAF sensors. Cleansed the MAF, I replaced back to OEM filters and it has been smooth sailing so far.