GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About to buy our 1st GX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 09:01 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool About to buy our 1st GX470

Pretty excited to buy our next ride. Currently have a gs300 and mercedes e-class but im seriously stoked to get this GX. Read a few threads on known issues and recall stuff... We r looking at a 2006 with 40k. Looking forward to joinin this side of ClubLexus but the gs will still be my daily. No big plans for the GX maybe a retrofit on the stock headlights and led tails if that.
Old 02-17-12, 02:11 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2006, with 40k, sounds like someone only took this car to church. As stated in the posts you have read, these are problems, but not common to everyone. At least you have some kind of list, to look the truck over well, before you buy.

Stock, nothing wrong with the truck, the way it came off the boat. Low beams are a good improvement. I did the fogs first and working in reverse to the low's. The HID low beams are a good choice for the first mod and it isn't a lot of money. Welcome to this side of the forum. Post pics, when you buy.
Old 02-17-12, 02:49 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Post pictures of the new baby!
Old 02-18-12, 07:02 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. Show us what you got. I only upgraded fogs to HIDs, other than that I like the way the car is. The ride is a bit different than the RX. A bit rougher I'd say. And the only issue I had is a clunky driveshaft, which was replaced by the dealer, but it came back a year later. I learned to live with it and it gives a car a character now. BTW what gen is your GS? I got a 2GS4 also, love the car.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot about the ML speakers in my GX. They are *****, had to fix a few of them.
Old 02-18-12, 11:00 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Right on... When we buy it i'll def post some pics. HID for the lows and fogs prob will be the first on my list. This is the mrs. primary.

I have a 1998 gs300. Just ordered kyb shocks, h&r springs, mrr hr3 20", front and rear lower braces, Depo led tails, and recently put on a kazz grill and wald lip. HIDs were the first thing i did. Just need my tanabe medallion exhaust and then i'll start upgrading more suspension/chasis parts. Got to get ready from spring :-)
Old 02-21-12, 05:44 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

*** Update

We decided to go with a 2007 gx470 silver with dark grey interior. We will have all the service history from lexus of sacramento and the two major services at 75 and 95 miles were all completed. It does have 102k but they are mostly freeway.
Old 02-21-12, 08:34 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Congrats. Show us what you got. I only upgraded fogs to HIDs, other than that I like the way the car is. The ride is a bit different than the RX. A bit rougher I'd say. And the only issue I had is a clunky driveshaft, which was replaced by the dealer, but it came back a year later. I learned to live with it and it gives a car a character now. BTW what gen is your GS? I got a 2GS4 also, love the car.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot about the ML speakers in my GX. They are *****, had to fix a few of them.
the rx350 has to be one of the best nonsport car driving experience i have ever had... too bad the older generation rx looked rather girly... but nevertheless it was because of the rx that i decided to get a gx470... not smooth like an rx but still my preferred suv
Old 02-23-12, 05:52 AM
golfdawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought our GX about 3 years ago or so with some where in the 50k range. Still have it and it now has approx 117k. Absolutely LOVE IT. No Problems. No Issues(well except my Sirius just went out, see posts). The only negative is MPG, but I drive it now and only do about 14 miles roundtrip. Rides awesome, quite and we tow our 232 Chaparral Sunesta with no problems. That weighs in around 6k when loaded up. Enjoy. you are making a great choice.
Old 02-23-12, 05:45 PM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My GX470 Likes/Dislikes

I've had my 2007 GX470 since November and I really do love it. I was a 10-year mini van dad and my kids are now off to college. Rolling in the Honda Odyssey just seemed a little odd, so I decided to upgrade. Why not??!!! I bought my wife an Infiniti G35 sport coupe as an empty nester gift to her. I deserved the GX and I can tell you I'm glad I bought it (I still call it the "van" sometimes....just out of habit).

Anywayz., my likes are as follows:
1. Its a truck. It looks cool, and you feel cool driving it.
2. The moon roof is huge and has an air deflector so your hair stays in place.
3. You can actually tow heavy stuff like boats (yeah like I'll ever get one) and campers.
4. Comfort--drove it from Georgia to Pennsylvania and it was rolling in my living room.
5. Hands free bluetooth phone works good; I can hear people and they can hear me.
6. Personalized seat/mirror/steering wheel settings; this is awesome.
7. Power--V8 makes a lot of power and sounds great when you romp on it.
8. Cargo space--It is not a Honda Odyssey, but you pull the third row seats out, fold down the second row, and you're pretty close.
9. Auto wipers--dumb, but i just like them.
10. The steering wheel moves up and out of the way when you get out. I'm not fat, but I am working on it, and this is a great feature for folks with a bit more up front.
11. Lights--lots of convenience lighting inside and out. you'll appreciate that.
12. Quiet--other than the groan from my AT tires and the downhill differential whine, its quiet as mouse at highway speeds. Nice.
13. Highly capable off-road. Not that I'd ever do it, but if I needed to, I could. This is just a manly feature that I appreciate more than most, being that I'm just coming off of my minivan.
14. Performance in snow. I live in Georgia, but was just in Pennsylvania/New York and the GX is fantastic in the snow. Acceleration, braking, and control are just outstanding in winter.

Dislikes:
1. Nav system. It's not good. And, like my momma, won't let me program it or make a phone call while you're moving. We won't even mention the fact that your passenger can only watch a dvd while in PARK with the parking brake ON. This just makes me angry.....so I'll stop. If I could disable it easily, I would, but as we all know....2007 was the year that the disable code was removed. Only fix is a rewire, and that sux.
2. Fuel mileage. It's not that great--15-19 range. On the bright side, you can drive it like a scalded dog or like a grandmother......you'll still get 15 - 19. Don't even bother bumping up your tire pressure....15 -19.
3. Premium fuel. You don't need it. I know the sticker says premium fuel only. But, the owner's manual says you don't need it. The only reason it says "required" is to maintain lexus' status as a low emissions vehicle. Has nothing to do with performance and won't hurt your engine. Premium is only required for high compression engines to prevent knocking. Your GX is not a high comp motor, and therefore, doesn't need premium fuel. But, if you have money coming out of your ears and want to feel "green", go for it!
4. Rear cargo door. Opens from the side so when it rains, you get soaked. It doesn't stay open either and likes to close on you when you're pulling groceries out. Yeah...I know....there's a way to lock it open if you don't mind getting your hands all greasy.
5. Cup holders. Kinda in an odd spot. They work but...you'll see.

Tried to be as thorough as I could. Bottom line, great truck, but be ready to bust out your wallet at the gas pump. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the same thing. No regrets.
Old 02-23-12, 07:09 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

seems like you have very taste my friend, besides the nice g35, a gx470 too? hahaha

i love my 05 g35 coupe athens blue
and i really like my gx470, although your dislikes of the truck seem rather nonsignificant... lol

Originally Posted by stuhrw
I've had my 2007 GX470 since November and I really do love it. I was a 10-year mini van dad and my kids are now off to college. Rolling in the Honda Odyssey just seemed a little odd, so I decided to upgrade. Why not??!!! I bought my wife an Infiniti G35 sport coupe as an empty nester gift to her. I deserved the GX and I can tell you I'm glad I bought it (I still call it the "van" sometimes....just out of habit).

Anywayz., my likes are as follows:
1. Its a truck. It looks cool, and you feel cool driving it.
2. The moon roof is huge and has an air deflector so your hair stays in place.
3. You can actually tow heavy stuff like boats (yeah like I'll ever get one) and campers.
4. Comfort--drove it from Georgia to Pennsylvania and it was rolling in my living room.
5. Hands free bluetooth phone works good; I can hear people and they can hear me.
6. Personalized seat/mirror/steering wheel settings; this is awesome.
7. Power--V8 makes a lot of power and sounds great when you romp on it.
8. Cargo space--It is not a Honda Odyssey, but you pull the third row seats out, fold down the second row, and you're pretty close.
9. Auto wipers--dumb, but i just like them.
10. The steering wheel moves up and out of the way when you get out. I'm not fat, but I am working on it, and this is a great feature for folks with a bit more up front.
11. Lights--lots of convenience lighting inside and out. you'll appreciate that.
12. Quiet--other than the groan from my AT tires and the downhill differential whine, its quiet as mouse at highway speeds. Nice.
13. Highly capable off-road. Not that I'd ever do it, but if I needed to, I could. This is just a manly feature that I appreciate more than most, being that I'm just coming off of my minivan.
14. Performance in snow. I live in Georgia, but was just in Pennsylvania/New York and the GX is fantastic in the snow. Acceleration, braking, and control are just outstanding in winter.

Dislikes:
1. Nav system. It's not good. And, like my momma, won't let me program it or make a phone call while you're moving. We won't even mention the fact that your passenger can only watch a dvd while in PARK with the parking brake ON. This just makes me angry.....so I'll stop. If I could disable it easily, I would, but as we all know....2007 was the year that the disable code was removed. Only fix is a rewire, and that sux.
2. Fuel mileage. It's not that great--15-19 range. On the bright side, you can drive it like a scalded dog or like a grandmother......you'll still get 15 - 19. Don't even bother bumping up your tire pressure....15 -19.
3. Premium fuel. You don't need it. I know the sticker says premium fuel only. But, the owner's manual says you don't need it. The only reason it says "required" is to maintain lexus' status as a low emissions vehicle. Has nothing to do with performance and won't hurt your engine. Premium is only required for high compression engines to prevent knocking. Your GX is not a high comp motor, and therefore, doesn't need premium fuel. But, if you have money coming out of your ears and want to feel "green", go for it!
4. Rear cargo door. Opens from the side so when it rains, you get soaked. It doesn't stay open either and likes to close on you when you're pulling groceries out. Yeah...I know....there's a way to lock it open if you don't mind getting your hands all greasy.
5. Cup holders. Kinda in an odd spot. They work but...you'll see.

Tried to be as thorough as I could. Bottom line, great truck, but be ready to bust out your wallet at the gas pump. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the same thing. No regrets.

Last edited by clubsport; 02-23-12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 06:25 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the auto wipers too man.
Old 02-25-12, 09:42 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Thanks for the posts fellas... We havent found a better all around deal with all the servicing history. Thanks for the gas info i have been searching to confirm that. I think this is gonna work well for my lil family... For gas prices it might be a wash from our e-class premium only 24gallon tank. Plan on storing it till sold.

Question - i know these like most lexus veh are built like tanks... Im considering a warranty that will cover Everything in and out electrical and mechanical. Its pricey but its good for 5 yrs and another 100k - should i?

I plan on it but i guess what in looking for is if there are any reasons why i shouldnt. Im droppin 15k so we arent financing much and thats why this warranty is on my list.
Old 02-25-12, 09:44 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by golfdawg
We bought our GX about 3 years ago or so with some where in the 50k range. Still have it and it now has approx 117k. Absolutely LOVE IT. No Problems. No Issues(well except my Sirius just went out, see posts). The only negative is MPG, but I drive it now and only do about 14 miles roundtrip. Rides awesome, quite and we tow our 232 Chaparral Sunesta with no problems. That weighs in around 6k when loaded up. Enjoy. you are making a great choice.

Thats gotta feel good heading out to the lake... I'd be the friend with the 4 waverunners behind ya!
Old 05-09-12, 01:43 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfdawg
This is the perfect photo and footnote for my wife and I to pull the trigger on our first GX470. Looking at a 2005 w/82k and was wondering if it could tow our 27' boat that weighs in maybe a little more than the 23' pictured. Thanks for posting that!
Old 05-10-12, 12:19 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

post pic when u do, nice truck in the photo too

Quick Reply: About to buy our 1st GX470